Is there any interest in a PVR-enabled XBMC 11.0 M11 CR pkg?

Make requests for packages to be added to the MEPIS Community's Repository.
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Is there any interest in a PVR-enabled XBMC 11.0 M11 CR pkg?

#1 Postby Stevo » Fri May 25, 2012 5:45 pm

There's a git branch that has that enabled (PVR=watch and record TV), plus a PPA with packages and source. It supports a variety of backends for the PVR functionality, including mythtv, but the Ubuntu packagers suggest tvheadend (which would also need packaging)
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

James Branch Cabell

antiX-Dave
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Is there any interest in a PVR-enabled XBMC 11.0 M11 CR

#2 Postby antiX-Dave » Sat May 26, 2012 11:38 am

I am not exactly sure what a M11 CR pkg is, but if it is a .deb and not to much trouble I would be interested. I have started using XBMC recently with an p4 I had laying around, I really have grown to liking it. The plan was to add a pvr function to it this weekend so I did some googling and came accross this thread.

DBeckett
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Postby DBeckett » Sat May 26, 2012 2:25 pm

Mepis 11 is based on Debian Squeeze. The M11 Community Repository is where you can find newer/updated packages than the ones provided by the Squeeze repos, or even packages that don't exist there.

You can add the Mepis Community Repositories (Main and Test) to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

#deb http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/repo/ mepis11cr main non-free
#deb http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/testrepo/ mepis11cr test

Be advised that new, untested packages usually go in the Test repo first.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby lucky9 » Sun May 27, 2012 5:10 am

I can't remember anything from the test CR ever causing a problem. Plus sometimes feedback from Users who try something in test can be slow.
But it is testing that will catch the occasional problem that might pop up.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Postby timkb4cq » Sun May 27, 2012 7:34 am

lucky9 wrote:I can't remember anything from the test CR ever causing a problem.

Thank you, but you sure have a short memory. The original set of KDE 4.6.5 packages in testing caused a bit of a kerfuffle.

Installing a single package from the testing CR is usually fine.
Doing your regular updates with testing enabled can occasionally cause problems.

Just enable testing long enough to install the program you're interested in and pay attention to what else Synaptic wants to do in the process - especially if you see it's going to remove some packages. One accidentally screwed up dependency caused Synaptic to want to remove most of KDE. We do fix those issues pretty quickly once we've discovered them, but they're why we have testing repos.

That said, 95%+ of testing packages don't have any issues.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

DBeckett
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Postby DBeckett » Sun May 27, 2012 10:57 am

I did remember that kerfuffle, but that sort of thing is such a rare occurrence that I didn't see any reason to bring it up. Our repo maintainers are the best.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Postby lucky9 » Sun May 27, 2012 9:29 pm

I thought that problem was more of a 'bridge too far' kind of thing. Rather than a real mistaken build.
At any rate it's always been recommended to use them for a specific program and then disable them in normal usage.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

greywolf
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#8 Postby greywolf » Sun May 27, 2012 9:42 pm

At any rate it's always been recommended to use them for a specific program and then disable them in normal usage.

Is there any particular reason why that approach is recommended rather than leave the sources.list alone and use 'apt pinning'? I mean, you could, I assume, just as easily 'pin' the testing repo to not allow updates but to allow individual packages with the '-t' parameter in apt.

I'm only asking because I am more use to this approach in other Debian based systems I have run.

cheers,
Greywolf.

Edit:

Sorry, I did not mean to drift OT &/or hijack the thread!
I would be interested in such a PVR package for sure.
It is about the Dragons - it was always about the Dragons!

Return to “Package Requests / Status”