View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Mepis 8 Community Repo - the cclive and abby thread 
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 135 times
Post # 196651
Post Mepis 8 Community Repo - the cclive and abby thread
cclive 0.5.1-1 and abby 0.4.3-1 have both been uploaded to the Community TEST repo. Both 32b and 64b versions are available.

cclive
lightweight [color="Red"]C[/color]ommand [color="#ff0000"]L[/color]ine [color="#ff0000"]I[/color]nterface [color="#ff0000"]V[/color]ideo [color="#ff0000"]E[/color]xtraction tool

cclive is a lightweight command line video extraction tool for Youtube and other similar video websites. It is a rewrite of the clive software in C++ with lower system footprint and fewer dependencies.

cclive is primarily a "video download tool" but it can also be used along side with video player software, like "mplayer", for viewing streamed videos instead of the Adobe flash player.

abby
front-end for cclive and clive

abby is a front-end for cclive and clive used to download videos from Youtube and other similar video hosts. Abby is written in C++ and depends on the Qt framework.

Notes
The reason I packaged this is because a while ago there was some discussion regarding a gui, or easy interface for downloading and saving youtube videos. I previously build clive for the community but it's not exactly 'newbie' friendly. A combination of cclive and abby is! Unfortunately there is no menu entry in the abby package - so if it proves popular, I'll rebuild it with a custom made one (Stevo will be able to show me the finer points).
After installation, simply type <alt> + <F2> to bring up a run dialogue, type abby and run. On the first run, you'll be prompted for the location of cclive (navigate to /user/bin), and where you want to download to (your choice). The gui looks like this (below). All you do is copy the youtube address, and paste it in the box, then hit the download video button.

Feedback encouraged please.

Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:26 am
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1835 times
Post # 196723

If you want to add a menu entry, delete the /debian/abby.menu file, and add this line to /debian/abby.desktop:

Categories=Network;

This will make it show up in the Internet section. Then to install the desktop file, add this line to /debian/abby.install:

debian/abby.desktop usr/share/applications

Also, to enable lzma compression on these "minimal" type rules files, which I'm starting to see a lot more of in Sid now, add this to the rules file:

Code:
override_dh_builddeb:
    dh_builddeb -- -Z lzma

I heard a phone call on a tech show from an Australian who was limited to 256 Mb/month download by his ISP, so I would think every tiny bit would help for him.

Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:34 pm
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Have thanks: 22 times
Post # 198134
I've just tried this, and it works well. (On Mepis 8, 32-bit).

Many thanks.

Best wishes,
Peter Stone

Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]