Mepis 8 Community Repo - the cclive and abby thread

News about updates on package status for CR packages compiled for Mepis 8.0.
Brooko
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mepis 8 Community Repo - the cclive and abby thread

#1 Postby Brooko » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:26 am

cclive 0.5.1-1 and abby 0.4.3-1 have both been uploaded to the Community TEST repo. Both 32b and 64b versions are available.

cclive
lightweight [color="Red"]C[/color]ommand [color="#ff0000"]L[/color]ine [color="#ff0000"]I[/color]nterface [color="#ff0000"]V[/color]ideo [color="#ff0000"]E[/color]xtraction tool

cclive is a lightweight command line video extraction tool for Youtube and other similar video websites. It is a rewrite of the clive software in C++ with lower system footprint and fewer dependencies.

cclive is primarily a "video download tool" but it can also be used along side with video player software, like "mplayer", for viewing streamed videos instead of the Adobe flash player.

abby
front-end for cclive and clive

abby is a front-end for cclive and clive used to download videos from Youtube and other similar video hosts. Abby is written in C++ and depends on the Qt framework.

Notes
The reason I packaged this is because a while ago there was some discussion regarding a gui, or easy interface for downloading and saving youtube videos. I previously build clive for the community but it's not exactly 'newbie' friendly. A combination of cclive and abby is! Unfortunately there is no menu entry in the abby package - so if it proves popular, I'll rebuild it with a custom made one (Stevo will be able to show me the finer points).
After installation, simply type <alt> + <F2> to bring up a run dialogue, type abby and run. On the first run, you'll be prompted for the location of cclive (navigate to /user/bin), and where you want to download to (your choice). The gui looks like this (below). All you do is copy the youtube address, and paste it in the box, then hit the download video button.

Feedback encouraged please.
Desktop - Win 8-64 : Corsair 520HX, P5Q Pro, Q6600 G0 @ 3Ghz, 4Gb DDR2 1066, Asus GTX560 OC, 3xWD 500Gb Sata2, Asus CD/DVD, Logitech Wave Kb, G5, C300 Cam, Audio-gd NFB-12 + LD MKIV + GigaWorks T20.
Netbook - Ubuntu 12.04 64b, Asus 1015PED 2Gb Ram

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#2 Postby Stevo » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:34 pm

Installs and runs perfectly on 32 bit.

If you want to add a menu entry, delete the /debian/abby.menu file, and add this line to /debian/abby.desktop:

Categories=Network;

This will make it show up in the Internet section. Then to install the desktop file, add this line to /debian/abby.install:

debian/abby.desktop usr/share/applications

Also, to enable lzma compression on these "minimal" type rules files, which I'm starting to see a lot more of in Sid now, add this to the rules file:

Code: Select all

override_dh_builddeb:
    dh_builddeb -- -Z lzma

I heard a phone call on a tech show from an Australian who was limited to 256 Mb/month download by his ISP, so I would think every tiny bit would help for him.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

James Branch Cabell

pastone
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Postby pastone » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:51 pm

I've just tried this, and it works well. (On Mepis 8, 32-bit).

Many thanks.

Best wishes,
Peter Stone

Return to “Package Status - 8.0”