MX & MEPIS Community Forum

Linux operating systems based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Kwin crashed, now has minor issues 

Have thanks: 5 times
Post # 259695
Post Kwin crashed, now has minor issues
Brief description: Kwin crashed, and now the lock/logout widget and Leave, Logout, and Shutdown menu items don't display a full dialog box. Details follow.

I recently installed SM 8.5 with KDE 4.3.4 and am getting familiar with it. A few nights ago, a message popped up complaining that Kwin was crashing too much and suggesting that I switch window managers. No other WMs were installed, so that wasn't happening. Of course, I still had windows, etc., and I fussed around a bit trying to figure out what was working and what wasn't. In the end, I went to a login prompt, checked in as root and did shutdown -h now.

After restarting, installing fluxbox, and messing with that for an evening, I went back to Kwin to see how it would work. All seemed fine until it was time for bed and I tried to shut down. All GUI means for doing this displayed an incomplete dialog box. If I choose Shutdown, Leave, or Restart (etc.), a small rectangle appears with most of a button for the primary choice and enough text to say that the action will take place in X seconds. The Cancel button doesn't show. I'm beginning to suspect that if you click outside the rectangle, about where the Cancel button should be, it will cancel the action, but this is unproven.

It appears that some parameters in a KDE config file got corrupted. What would be the best way to return to normal. I prefer solutions that don't just blow away .kde. Since it is just one widget that isn't working, maybe something surgical is possible?

Rob

Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:51 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 2359 times
Post # 259702
Post Re: Kwin crashed, now has minor issues
Does your shutdown/logout dialog look something like the bottom image in this post: viewtopic.php?p=226253#p226253 ?

The default desktop theme (OxywinM - I think) was the cause.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:25 pm

Have thanks: 5 times
Post # 259704
Post Re: Kwin crashed, now has minor issues
That looks pretty much like it. I'll try another theme and see how that goes.

Thanks,
Rob

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]