View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
USB FlashDrive-sized computer 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 892 times
Post # 296626
Post USB FlashDrive-sized computer
They don't get much smaller: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/201 ... eorder.ars

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:09 am

lucky9 thanked by: Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 657 times
Post # 296628
Post Re: USB FlashDrive-sized computer
$199 is a bit expensive for that, but they will make a great media devices (by the way they need a special HDMI port that provides electricity, I think only new TVs have that)

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:25 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 468 times
Post # 296637
You sure about that? From what I read, it takes its power from the USB port, so you'd need a USB extension cable to use it with a TV and you could plug it into one of the HDMI ports.

I could see people using these with Projectors to eliminate the issues with distance to HDMI cables, if they could find some method of controlling it. Maybe the devs have a built in remote display through wireless??. That would rock.

Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(1)Lenovo e520, i7-2640M, 8GB, 750GB Seagate Hybrid, MX-14.1_DVD (my own respin)
(2) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, Radeon HD 4250, 4Gb, 1.5TB, antiX-13-64

Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:49 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 139 times
Post # 296638
lucky9 wrote:

They are certainly working to >
http://www.picotux.com/

And getting closer by the minute >
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/ ... r-created/

not to mention the self constucting cellular sized ones using proteins and enzymes to build :eek:

Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:51 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 657 times
Post # 296647
m_pav wrote:
You sure about that? From what I read, it takes its power from the USB port, so you'd need a USB extension cable to use it with a TV and you could plug it into one of the HDMI ports.

I could see people using these with Projectors to eliminate the issues with distance to HDMI cables, if they could find some method of controlling it. Maybe the devs have a built in remote display through wireless??. That would rock.

Mike P

You are probably right, it can use USB for power, although I see it requires HDMI 2.1 which I don't know what it is. http://www.fxitech.com/products/

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:52 pm
Administrator

Have thanks: 1442 times
Post # 296649
Adrian wrote:
m_pav wrote:

Mike P

You are probably right, it can use USB for power, although I see it requires HDMI 2.1 which I don't know what it is. http://www.fxitech.com/products/

Good question. I can only find 1.4 listed as the latest specification for HDMI

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:35 pm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 296653
Quite impressive! Can't wait for the day when I can carry a computer around the size of a lipstick. Thing is you still have to find a screen and a means to comfortably input your data. Big opening for linux tablets I'd say - netbook keyboards are uncomfortable to use for any length of time. Unless someone can develop folding versions!

No doubt when the price is right we'll all be buying them. Remember everyone laughed at the eee but it wasn't long before lots of manufacturers were producing netbooks.

Lez

PS: still got mine & I luv it - just not for work!

Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:34 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 733 times
Post # 296655
richb wrote:
Adrian wrote:
m_pav wrote:

Mike P

Good question. I can only find 1.4 listed as the latest specification for HDMI

Since you use the HDMI connection to connect to a TV, 2.1 refers to the sound output type.

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet

Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:50 pm
Administrator

Have thanks: 1442 times
Post # 296657
Danum wrote:

Since you use the HDMI connection to connect to a TV, 2.1 refers to the sound output type.[/quote]

Left. rear and center speakers?

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:58 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 733 times
Post # 296658
richb wrote:
Danum wrote:

Since you use the HDMI connection to connect to a TV, 2.1 refers to the sound output type.

Left. rear and center speakers?[/quote]
Quote:
A 2.1 Channel Home Theater System is like a stereo system for home theater sound. A 2.1 Channel system uses two stereo speakers and a subwoofer to play TV sound, movies and music compared to a 5.1 channel surround sound system that uses left and right stereo speakers but adds two rear surround channel speakers and a center channel speaker for a total of 5 main speakers plus a subwoofer. A 2.1 channel home theater system is a great way to enjoy movies and music without the need for surround and center channel speakers and the clutter of additional wires. 2.1 channel sound is also a giant step up from the sound produced by the small speakers built into most televisions.

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet

Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next