Is Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MEPIS bashing. You can email the developer of MEPIS if you just want to say you dislike or hate MEPIS.
lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Is Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot?

#1 Postby lucky9 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:39 pm

Interesting differences in the new Windows platforms noted here.
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/11 ... -ecosystem
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Saist
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Is Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot?

#2 Postby Saist » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:31 pm

Answer: yes. Microsoft IS shooting themselves in the foot with Windows 8.

I did get a laugh out of this line:

Up until now, Windows 8 has straddled the gaps between its disparate platforms remarkably well

Yeah, to use another line from earlier in that article...

"remarkably well" stretches the definition of the word "well" like Rosie O’Donnell slipping in to one of Kate Moss’s bikinis.
Last edited by Saist on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeeone
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Postby zeeone » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:34 pm

Does Microsoft have any more feet to stoot themself?
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Registered Linux User # 398829

Saist
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Postby Saist » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:35 pm

zeeone wrote:Does Microsoft have any more feet to stoot themself?

Since they haven't gone bankrupt yet... my guess would be... yes, yes they do.

GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Postby GoManutd » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:39 pm

i'm surprised they have any toes left... they've been messing up pretty much since MS missed the internet boat, and they haven't really fully recovered since.

yeah, they have the xbox but it hasn't come close to killing the ps3. they've put a different shade of lipstick on that office pig and it's still ms office... the only real thing that they've done is come out with win7.

it's a large generalization, i know. they still have a ton of corporate sales, but that side of the house isn't killing off linux/unix either. the addage, no ever got fired for buying microsoft holds true and it's because of this incredible corporate inertia that they're still doing as well as they are. otherwise, they'd be in the same place IBM was back in the early 90s

megatotoro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Postby megatotoro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:49 pm

Yes, these differences could mean a lot to Windows users. I've heard some Windows users complaining about Unity and Gnome 3...but they don't know what Metro is :p Besides, will Windows users be happy without the ability to download software from virtually any site? :confused: The app store works well for Apple and the repos work well for Linux, but Windows has created a different model of downloading and installing over 20 years. I'm not sure people will be willing to give that away so easily.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Postby uncle mark » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:05 pm

lucky9 wrote:Interesting differences in the new Windows platforms noted here.

Much ado about nothing. W8 on a desktop will operate like a normal desktop, while W8 on a tablet will operate like, well, a tablet. He's basically saying that M$ should have given them different names. Whatever. It's the usual claptrap that's generated to fill space.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#8 Postby GoManutd » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:33 pm

honestly, as hard as it would be for users microsoft should bite the bullet and end x86 backwards compatibility support. it's an anchor that prevents real innovation. have to hand it to apple - they got their end-users used to the idea that some OS updates would not be backward compatible.

arjaybe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#9 Postby arjaybe » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:37 pm

GoManutd wrote:it's a large generalization, i know. they still have a ton of corporate sales, but that side of the house isn't killing off linux/unix either. the addage, no ever got fired for buying microsoft holds true and it's because of this incredible corporate inertia that they're still doing as well as they are. otherwise, they'd be in the same place IBM was back in the early 90s

And in the 80s you couldn't get fired for buying IBM.
Intel Celeron 1007U with integrated HD Graphics 2500, 4GB RAM

The question is half the size of the universe, and the answer takes up the other half.

Green Comet

Saist
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Postby Saist » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:25 pm

uncle mark wrote:
lucky9 wrote:Interesting differences in the new Windows platforms noted here.

Much ado about nothing. W8 on a desktop will operate like a normal desktop, while W8 on a tablet will operate like, well, a tablet. He's basically saying that M$ should have given them different names. Whatever. It's the usual claptrap that's generated to fill space.

em.

No it won't.

Windows 8 on the desktop operates like a tablet trying to masquerade as a desktop.

Seriously, download the Win 8 dev preview. It's ATROCIOUSLY bad.

Return to “General”