13 Year old logic

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MEPIS bashing. You can email the developer of MEPIS if you just want to say you dislike or hate MEPIS.
Message
Author
User avatar
TLeeNorris
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 93
Age: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:10 pm

13 Year old logic

#1 Postby TLeeNorris » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:31 pm

"Uncle Tony, why are there so many different kinds of linux packing. Why can't they all be in a .deb form. Seem stupid to have so many different knids of packages, one you want but cant use"

I think she is right.... it would be much better to settle on one packing method, one source method, and one upgrade method (Synapatic). Keep the command line open (apt-get). Why have a .yum or unbuntu paxkage or whatever BSD & Gentoo use.. too confusing.

Imaging if they had not regulated power supply plugs.... just IMO....and my nieces.. :tumbleweed:
GeForce GTX 560 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 // AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz 6 Cores // Patriot Viper Xtreme 16GB // GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 // Internal Blu-ray Drive // Antec TWO HUNDRED V2 // Black CoolMax 700W ATX12V

User avatar
richb
Administrator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Re: 13 Year old logic

#2 Postby richb » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:16 pm

Disagree. The power of Linux is open source and variety. Communities learn and build on each others successes and mistakes. It gives users an opportunity to try different flavors and decide which is best for them. Besides being open with many volunteers fosters disagreement on what the best packaging method is.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

User avatar
uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 5360
Age: 2015
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: 13 Year old logic

#3 Postby uncle mark » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:20 pm

TLeeNorris wrote:"Uncle Tony, why are there so many different kinds of linux packing. Why can't they all be in a .deb form. Seem stupid to have so many different knids of packages, one you want but cant use"

I think she is right.... it would be much better to settle on one packing method, one source method, and one upgrade method (Synapatic). Keep the command line open (apt-get). Why have a .yum or unbuntu paxkage or whatever BSD & Gentoo use.. too confusing.

Imaging if they had not regulated power supply plugs.... just IMO....and my nieces.. :tumbleweed:


man alien
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

User avatar
TLeeNorris
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 93
Age: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Re: 13 Year old logic

#4 Postby TLeeNorris » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:52 pm

richb wrote:Disagree. The power of Linux is open source and variety. Communities learn and build on each others successes and mistakes. It gives users an opportunity to try different flavors and decide which is best for them. Besides being open with many volunteers fosters disagreement on what the best packaging method is.



Who says you can't get variety from the same base. How many distros are built on Debian that still use .deb.
GeForce GTX 560 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 // AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz 6 Cores // Patriot Viper Xtreme 16GB // GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 // Internal Blu-ray Drive // Antec TWO HUNDRED V2 // Black CoolMax 700W ATX12V

User avatar
uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 5360
Age: 2015
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: 13 Year old logic

#5 Postby uncle mark » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:07 pm

TLeeNorris wrote:Who says you can't get variety from the same base. How many distros are built on Debian that still use .deb.


Uhm... all of them?
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

User avatar
Danum
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 2688
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:49 pm

Re: 13 Year old logic

#6 Postby Danum » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:13 pm

TLeeNorris wrote:
richb wrote:Disagree. The power of Linux is open source and variety. Communities learn and build on each others successes and mistakes. It gives users an opportunity to try different flavors and decide which is best for them. Besides being open with many volunteers fosters disagreement on what the best packaging method is.



Who says you can't get variety from the same base. How many distros are built on Debian that still use .deb.

If a distro is built using Debian then it uses the debian package system, and they all use debs,
One thing if you built all Linux systems using only debs, or rpm's the script kiddies would have a field day, just like they do with M$, which is one very good reason for not doing it.
As Rich said Linux is open source software for the main part, so people will build with what suits them.
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

User avatar
TLeeNorris
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 93
Age: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Re: 13 Year old logic

#7 Postby TLeeNorris » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:44 pm

uncle mark wrote:
TLeeNorris wrote:Who says you can't get variety from the same base. How many distros are built on Debian that still use .deb.


Uhm... all of them?


.rpm is a .deb? Really?

Gentoo does not use Apt or Synaptic to manage packages, it uses Emerge? (I think that is the name of Gentoo's package manager.)

Open source is open source.. you think the script kiddies use Windows to write their scripts? I think not....
GeForce GTX 560 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 // AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz 6 Cores // Patriot Viper Xtreme 16GB // GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 // Internal Blu-ray Drive // Antec TWO HUNDRED V2 // Black CoolMax 700W ATX12V

User avatar
uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 5360
Age: 2015
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: 13 Year old logic

#8 Postby uncle mark » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:08 pm

I don't think you understand the lineage of the various distros. I know of no Debian based distro that doesn't use .deb packaging.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

User avatar
DBeckett
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 3064
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:59 pm

Re: 13 Year old logic

#9 Postby DBeckett » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:18 pm

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

chrispop99
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1426
Age: 69
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: 13 Year old logic

#10 Postby chrispop99 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:06 am

TLeeNorris wrote:Imaging if they had not regulated power supply plugs. :tumbleweed:


They haven't globally. In Europe, there is incompatability even to the degree of creating danger between countries that share land borders.

I've also suffered frustration when testing non-Debian distros, and a particular piece of software is unavailable. If there is no other work-around, at least with Linux it may be possible to get it re-packaged through the distro's community.

Chris
Test machines:
Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.
DELL Latitude D630 laptop, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB PC2-5300.
IBM Thinkpad T41 laptop, 1.6GHz Pentium M (Non-PAE), 1GB RAM, 30GB PATA SSD.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Adrian and 1 guest