Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
13 Year old logic 
Administrator

Have thanks: 1566 times
Post # 297742
Post Re: 13 Year old logic
TLeeNorris wrote:
zeeone - very interesting timeline...

Now based on what I have read here... every Debian Derivative is the same, no difference, But then why are they all so different? Why are we drawn to MEPIS and not some other if its the same?

Building packages... do people who just want a PC to surf the net and listen to music have any idea what that means. You and I do... but how many others.

I am also drawn to Kubuntu, and pure Debian.

Many things draw people to different distros, including what software is pre-installed, appearance, community, and yes packaging system. In my case I have stayed with Mepis on at least one of my partitions because of the community. I will be frank and say I spend as much time if not more using Kubuntu 11.10.

People who just surf and play music do not need to know what building packages mean. All they need to know is the management system on the flavor of Linux they use. And all they need to know about that is how to install software.

However my experience is that people drawn to Linux are curious and want to learn more details of Linux.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
MX-14.3
Kubuntu 14.10, KDE 4.14.1
Virtualbox: Windows 7

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:38 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 931 times
Post # 297744
TLeeNorris wrote:
Now based on what I have read here... every Debian Derivative is the same, no difference,

That's not what is being said. There are myriad differences between Debian based distros, but the one thing they DO all have in common is dpkg/apt (i.e they use .deb packages for software installations and updates). They even vary on the front ends they use -- Synaptic vs. Muon is one example, as is apt-get vs. aptitude.

Quote:
But then why are they all so different? Why are we drawn to MEPIS and not some other if its the same?

The variations in desktop environments and specialized tools is the biggest difference, along with the default suite of software packages. Heck, even "look & feel" is different even with the same DTE, depending on theming and font choices.

I'm drawn to MEPIS because it's what is closest to my "ideal" install, out-of-the box. (I've also recently been impressed with Kubuntu 11.10.) Warren and I just seem to been on the same page regarding how a Linux desktop should be. I've tried taking a base Debian install and making it mine, and the results never have been as good (for me) as starting with MEPIS and doing a little bit of tweaking to taste.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:56 pm

uncle mark thanked by: TLeeNorris
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 723 times
Post # 297780
When I was 13 I also thought that all the screws should be the same size and should all require only one screwdriver...

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:40 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 903 times
Post # 297785
When did you give up wishing?

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:54 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 134 times
Post # 297786
Adrian wrote:
When I was 13 I also thought that all the screws should be the same size and should all require only one screwdriver...

Yeah. Obviously a Robertson, 'cause they're the best.-)

The question is half the size of the universe, and the answer takes up the other half.

Green Comet

Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 931 times
Post # 297788
arjaybe wrote:
Adrian wrote:

Yeah. Obviously a Robertson, 'cause they're the best.-)

Oh, fer cryin' out loud. You had to bring that up, didn't you? I just did get my Canadian SWMBO to quit harping about those damn things, and thought I'd heard the end of it. Sheesh.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:32 pm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 5 times
Post # 297790
Adrian wrote:

Well that would not be logical cause no whole (pun intended) is the same size, but a common type of screw and nut, and screwdriver and wrench would be.

Now Linux, they are all built on Unix... but the only way to progress is to have a common way of packaging and installing so people without screws can use it. They can still be as different as you want cause each person or group of persons who build a distro is different.

I use i and you probably use it because you have taken the time to learn that it is fun to tinker and change the way it works and looks (It would be cool to get rid of Windows Explorer and add a new desktop, but you can't, oh you can put one on top like KDE for Windows, but its terrible) That is the fun of Linux is learning and experimenting without the fear of losing a license or your home. If it stays like this, then it will only remain for those of us brave enough to get their handy dirty.

GeForce GTX 560 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 // AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz 6 Cores // Patriot Viper Xtreme 16GB // GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 // Internal Blu-ray Drive // Antec TWO HUNDRED V2 // Black CoolMax 700W ATX12V

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:40 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 376 times
Post # 297791
linux is not built on unix... linux is a unix-like OS - big difference.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:04 pm
Administrator

Have thanks: 1566 times
Post # 297793
Quote:
I use i and you probably use it because you have taken the time to learn that it is fun to tinker and change the way it works and looks (It would be cool to get rid of Windows Explorer and add a new desktop, but you can't, oh you can put one on top like KDE for Windows, but its terrible) That is the fun of Linux is learning and experimenting without the fear of losing a license or your home. If it stays like this, then it will only remain for those of us brave enough to get their handy dirty.

So a common packaging system will make Linux the desktop of choice? I think not.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
MX-14.3
Kubuntu 14.10, KDE 4.14.1
Virtualbox: Windows 7

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:11 pm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 5 times
Post # 297794
richb wrote:
So a common packaging system will make Linux the desktop of choice? I think not.

That and a common installation yes. People want what is easy, not hard.

We may like it that way, makes us feel superior in some way, but if you REALLY want Linux to succeed with people who are lazy and want someone else to do they work for them, then yes. Business and geeks keep it alive but its never going to thrive. Look at the mini laptop/tablet market. Dropped Linux for and easier Windows and Andriod system. You cant find a Linux small form laptop anymore. Not like at first.

GeForce GTX 560 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 // AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz 6 Cores // Patriot Viper Xtreme 16GB // GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 // Internal Blu-ray Drive // Antec TWO HUNDRED V2 // Black CoolMax 700W ATX12V

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next