Post Censorship of links in Microsoft Chat servers
That about says it: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Windows-Liv ... 14598.html

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:17 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 62 times
Post # 297845
Post Re: Censorship of links in Microsoft Chat servers
Remember a few years back, AT&T was monitoring all U.S. phone calls without warrants...I would have to believe that the Government/Microsoft can (and is) monitoring all digital communications too.

janthree

Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:06 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 887 times
Post # 297854
I think it's accurate to say that any communication on the Internet is compromised, Period.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:43 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Location: Midway between the Washington State rainforest, ocean and volcanoes
Have thanks: 69 times
Post # 297900
I agree that all communication besides most physical conversation is being monitored.

I just keep wondering why.

I get that google makes money sorting out who is more likely to buy their customer's goods.

I get that there is serious money to be made selling all types of survellience hardware and developing related software.

Mostly seems like people stoking fear to make money.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:58 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 297916
iridesce wrote:

Mostly seems like people stoking fear to make money.

No argument from here.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:18 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 671 times
Post # 297917
While it's true that many bit torrents are legitimate and perfectly legal, distributing them under the name "Pirate Bay" might lead some to suspect otherwise.

You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:27 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 297924
Sorry, it's just not Microsoft's job to censor links unless there is a complaint. As far as I know Pirate Bay has changed it's protocols and MS has no business doing what it's doing.

I should add that it has been several years since I visited Pirate Bay. At that time it hosted quite a few links that would download copyrighted content. I didn't have much use for that sort of thing and there were better sites for what I did want so all that I know about them is from reading online, etc.
I have some sympathy for the copyright holders, not much since they seem to lie a lot about their losses, but I do feel that they have a legitimate problem. I just feel that their 'losses' are ridiculously inflated. They will never realize recovery of anything close to what they feel they are losing. The people that are downloading content aren't in the market to buy because of costs, rather because of that 'thrill' of doing something outside of acceptable behavior.
They (the rights holders) would be a lot better off if they concentrated on getting the real pirates. The ones that are selling stolen content. Rather than the kids who are torrenting this stuff.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:42 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 733 times
Post # 297928
A statement from Microsoft,
Quote:
"We use Smartscreen technology to protect our customers from malicious and unwanted content including phishing, malware and spam.
"We block instant messages if they contain malicious or spam URLs based on intelligence algorithms, third-party sources, and/or user complaints. Pirate Bay URLs were flagged by one or more of these and were consequently blocked."

Mark Mulligan, editor of the Media Industry Blog, said the move might be intended to be symbolic.
Quote:
"What is underpinning Microsoft's thinking is that it wants its instant messaging platform to appear safe,"

Most complain about MS doing this and that as if they owned the system, they do not they lease it, and by using it when new agree to the terms and conditions that MS apply, if they did not read them who's fault is that.
The simple answer is "if you dont like the terms and conditions don't use MS products"
Bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:28 pm
Administrator

Have thanks: 1431 times
Post # 297931
Agree wholeheartedly with Danum. If you do not like the T and C's or do not read the specs do not complain.

Similar circumstance are people complaining the new iPad is not compatible with 4G outside the US. You can complain, but after you purchased it all bets are off. The specs clearly state it is only compatible with 4G networks by ATT and Verizon in the US and some carriers in Canada. So why did you buy it. Take some responsibility about not being an informed buyer.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:06 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 297976
Since I don't use Microsoft Live Messenger (or any MS products) I thought that some education was in order. Although I should point out that products like Pidgin are censored also.

I of course agree that the buyer should beware since we don't have a government that cares about its citizens freedom from censorship. Especially when big corporate interests are involved.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]