MEPIS Community Forum

A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |



Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
13 Year old logic 
Author Message
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:10 pm
Posts: 93
Location: Kingwood, Texas
Has thanked: 29 times
Have thanks: 5 times
Post # 297713
Post 13 Year old logic
"Uncle Tony, why are there so many different kinds of linux packing. Why can't they all be in a .deb form. Seem stupid to have so many different knids of packages, one you want but cant use"

I think she is right.... it would be much better to settle on one packing method, one source method, and one upgrade method (Synapatic). Keep the command line open (apt-get). Why have a .yum or unbuntu paxkage or whatever BSD & Gentoo use.. too confusing.

Imaging if they had not regulated power supply plugs.... just IMO....and my nieces.. :tumbleweed:

_________________
GeForce GTX 560 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 // AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz 6 Cores // Patriot Viper Xtreme 16GB // GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 // Internal Blu-ray Drive // Antec TWO HUNDRED V2 // Black CoolMax 700W ATX12V


Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:31 pm
Profile
Online
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm
Posts: 10705
Location: Rochester NY
Has thanked: 838 times
Have thanks: 1442 times
Post # 297714
Post Re: 13 Year old logic
Disagree. The power of Linux is open source and variety. Communities learn and build on each others successes and mistakes. It gives users an opportunity to try different flavors and decide which is best for them. Besides being open with many volunteers fosters disagreement on what the best packaging method is.

_________________
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help
Link to Wiki
Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2


Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:16 pm

richb thanked by: Danum, iridesce
Profile
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 pm
Posts: 4448
Has thanked: 125 times
Have thanks: 913 times
Post # 297715
Post Re: 13 Year old logic
TLeeNorris wrote:
"Uncle Tony, why are there so many different kinds of linux packing. Why can't they all be in a .deb form. Seem stupid to have so many different knids of packages, one you want but cant use"

I think she is right.... it would be much better to settle on one packing method, one source method, and one upgrade method (Synapatic). Keep the command line open (apt-get). Why have a .yum or unbuntu paxkage or whatever BSD & Gentoo use.. too confusing.

Imaging if they had not regulated power supply plugs.... just IMO....and my nieces.. :tumbleweed:


man alien

_________________
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Netbook: Fujitsu Lifebook Pentium M -- MX-14
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 AMD Dual -- SolydK 64


Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:20 pm
Profile
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:10 pm
Posts: 93
Location: Kingwood, Texas
Has thanked: 29 times
Have thanks: 5 times
Post # 297716
Post Re: 13 Year old logic
richb wrote:
Disagree. The power of Linux is open source and variety. Communities learn and build on each others successes and mistakes. It gives users an opportunity to try different flavors and decide which is best for them. Besides being open with many volunteers fosters disagreement on what the best packaging method is.



Who says you can't get variety from the same base. How many distros are built on Debian that still use .deb.

_________________
GeForce GTX 560 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 // AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz 6 Cores // Patriot Viper Xtreme 16GB // GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 // Internal Blu-ray Drive // Antec TWO HUNDRED V2 // Black CoolMax 700W ATX12V


Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:52 pm
Profile
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 pm
Posts: 4448
Has thanked: 125 times
Have thanks: 913 times
Post # 297718
Post Re: 13 Year old logic
TLeeNorris wrote:
Who says you can't get variety from the same base. How many distros are built on Debian that still use .deb.


Uhm... all of them?

_________________
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Netbook: Fujitsu Lifebook Pentium M -- MX-14
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 AMD Dual -- SolydK 64


Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:07 pm
Profile
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:49 pm
Posts: 2658
Location: Doncaster UK
Has thanked: 110 times
Have thanks: 733 times
Post # 297719
Post Re: 13 Year old logic
TLeeNorris wrote:
richb wrote:
Disagree. The power of Linux is open source and variety. Communities learn and build on each others successes and mistakes. It gives users an opportunity to try different flavors and decide which is best for them. Besides being open with many volunteers fosters disagreement on what the best packaging method is.



Who says you can't get variety from the same base. How many distros are built on Debian that still use .deb.

If a distro is built using Debian then it uses the debian package system, and they all use debs,
One thing if you built all Linux systems using only debs, or rpm's the script kiddies would have a field day, just like they do with M$, which is one very good reason for not doing it.
As Rich said Linux is open source software for the main part, so people will build with what suits them.

_________________
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic(Windoze)*

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet


Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:13 pm
Profile
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:10 pm
Posts: 93
Location: Kingwood, Texas
Has thanked: 29 times
Have thanks: 5 times
Post # 297721
Post Re: 13 Year old logic
uncle mark wrote:
TLeeNorris wrote:
Who says you can't get variety from the same base. How many distros are built on Debian that still use .deb.


Uhm... all of them?


.rpm is a .deb? Really?

Gentoo does not use Apt or Synaptic to manage packages, it uses Emerge? (I think that is the name of Gentoo's package manager.)

Open source is open source.. you think the script kiddies use Windows to write their scripts? I think not....

_________________
GeForce GTX 560 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 // AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz 6 Cores // Patriot Viper Xtreme 16GB // GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 // Internal Blu-ray Drive // Antec TWO HUNDRED V2 // Black CoolMax 700W ATX12V


Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:44 pm
Profile
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 pm
Posts: 4448
Has thanked: 125 times
Have thanks: 913 times
Post # 297722
Post Re: 13 Year old logic
I don't think you understand the lineage of the various distros. I know of no Debian based distro that doesn't use .deb packaging.

_________________
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Netbook: Fujitsu Lifebook Pentium M -- MX-14
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 AMD Dual -- SolydK 64


Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:08 pm
Profile
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:59 pm
Posts: 2902
Has thanked: 420 times
Have thanks: 446 times
Post # 297723
Post Re: 13 Year old logic
.
Speaking of lineage.....

http://www.thepowerbase.com/wp-content/ ... dt1003.png

_________________
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, Radeon HD6570
Gigabyte A55M-DS2, AMD A4-3400 dual-core APU (llano), 2.7 GHz, Radeon HD graphics
IBM ThinkPad T43, Intel Pentium M, 1.73GHz, Intel chipset


Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:18 pm

DBeckett thanked by: iridesce
Profile
Online
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:07 pm
Posts: 1056
Location: Bracknell, UK
Has thanked: 265 times
Have thanks: 245 times
Post # 297726
Post Re: 13 Year old logic
TLeeNorris wrote:
Imaging if they had not regulated power supply plugs. :tumbleweed:


They haven't globally. In Europe, there is incompatability even to the degree of creating danger between countries that share land borders.

I've also suffered frustration when testing non-Debian distros, and a particular piece of software is unavailable. If there is no other work-around, at least with Linux it may be possible to get it re-packaged through the distro's community.

Chris

_________________
Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.
DELL Latitude D630 laptop, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB PC2-5300.


Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:06 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.