Good pdf view

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MEPIS bashing. You can email the developer of MEPIS if you just want to say you dislike or hate MEPIS.
Fargo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Good pdf view

#1 Postby Fargo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:40 pm

What is a good pdf viewer? I really like Okular but I found that I can not select individual pages for printing. I often have to print weird sequences like pg1, 3,4,5,9, 11,12, etc. Is their some way to select pages for printing in Ocular?

janthree
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Good pdf view

#2 Postby janthree » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:02 pm

Hi Fargo,

Lol...I seem to be replying to all your posts tonight. I installed Adobe Reader from the repos (acroread)...seems to do a good job.

janthree

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Postby Jerry3904 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:06 am

I can not select individual pages for printing
I am a bit confused by this, because for me that action is taken care of in the print dialog box.

In general, BTW, we have a very good Wiki page on "PDF" that people might want to consult (or even contribute to, in a perfect world) before posting on this topic.
Production: 4.2.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, MX-15 RC1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 3.16-0-4-686-pae. MX-15, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby joany » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:30 am

You may want to look at pdfedit (in the Debian repos). This application enables you to delete, import, and rearrange pages and do some text editing in addition to simply viewing the pdf file.

I find that plain ol' Adobe Reader works best for viewing pdf documents on the 'net with Firefox, although Okular works too. Adobe Reader is available from here: http://get.adobe.com/reader/
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

chatan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Postby chatan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:13 am

Adobe Reader (acroread) can also be installed by enabling the debian multimedia repo in synaptic.
(unable that repo after installing)

Cheers

Fargo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Postby Fargo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:07 pm

chatan wrote:Adobe Reader (acroread) can also be installed by enabling the debian multimedia repo in synaptic.
(unable that repo after installing)

Cheers

Thanks. I did some online research and found Adobe made a linux version, but I couldn't find it in the repos. I just didn't know which one had it and it was late. I'll try that in the future if I can't find a way to print selected pages in Okular.

Fargo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Postby Fargo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:12 pm

Jerry3904 wrote:
I can not select individual pages for printing
I am a bit confused by this, because for me that action is taken care of in the print dialog box.

In general, BTW, we have a very good Wiki page on "PDF" that people might want to consult (or even contribute to, in a perfect world) before posting on this topic.

I looked through the print dialog box but could only find options like printing 'all', 'odd pages', or even pages', or pages from some number to the next number. But I couldn't find any way to select random pages. For example say I need to print pages 1,3,4,5, 8,9,12. In Adobe I would just highlight the pages in the sidebar hit the print button and print 'SELECTED' pages. I just couldn't find a 'selected' pages option in Okular. I really seems like they would have thought of that feature but I sure couldn't find it.

By the way, thanks for always mentioning the wiki and for having the link in your signature. I got to used to forums that didn't have such a thing and I never think of it. But I'm glad its there and often find what I need when I get directed there.

Return to “General”