Finding Linux unsuitable for real work

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MEPIS bashing. You can email the developer of MEPIS if you just want to say you dislike or hate MEPIS.
richb
Administrator

Re: Finding Linux unsuitable for real work

#51 Postby richb » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:56 pm

But how well do certain peripherals work with Windows in vm? I found unreliably depending on the peripheral. Examples are golf GPS units, and Harmony remote controllers.

Which winds me back to what I indicated before. Use the right tool for the job. The apps one runs may work quite well in a vm running Windows, while the apps I run may not. When they do not, you need a HD install.

The OP may find that his requirements are met. Only way to know is to try it.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#52 Postby joany » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:42 pm

richb wrote:But how well do certain peripherals work with Windows in vm? I found unreliably depending on the peripheral. Examples are golf GPS units, and Harmony remote controllers.

Oh, quite well for me. With WinXP running as a guest OS, I am able to load map updates into my Garmin GPS from the Internet and use the Createive Zen software to transfer music and create playlists to my MP3 player through the USB port using Windows software. I don't know about golf GPS units (I don't play golf), but printers, USB storage pens, MP3 players, etc. are all fully functional and the Windows guest OS can access them all through the USB port.

I'm not saying that there aren't any devices that don't work -- I just haven't run into any yet.

I fully agree that you should use the best tool for the job. But in my case, the best tool for running Windows is a VM running in Linux.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

richb
Administrator

#53 Postby richb » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:12 pm

joany wrote:
richb wrote:But how well do certain peripherals work with Windows in vm? I found unreliably depending on the peripheral. Examples are golf GPS units, and Harmony remote controllers.

Oh, quite well for me. With WinXP running as a guest OS, I am able to load map updates into my Garmin GPS from the Internet and use the Createive Zen software to transfer music and create playlists to my MP3 player through the USB port using Windows software. I don't know about golf GPS units (I don't play golf), but printers, USB storage pens, MP3 players, etc. are all fully functional and the Windows guest OS can access them all through the USB port.

I'm not saying that there aren't any devices that don't work -- I just haven't run into any yet.

I fully agree that you should use the best tool for the job. But in my case, the best tool for running Windows is a VM running in Linux.

That has not been my experience.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

Return to “General”