Linux operating systems based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Finding Linux unsuitable for real work 
Administrator

Have thanks: 1479 times
Post # 298152
Post Re: Finding Linux unsuitable for real work
But how well do certain peripherals work with Windows in vm? I found unreliably depending on the peripheral. Examples are golf GPS units, and Harmony remote controllers.

Which winds me back to what I indicated before. Use the right tool for the job. The apps one runs may work quite well in a vm running Windows, while the apps I run may not. When they do not, you need a HD install.

The OP may find that his requirements are met. Only way to know is to try it.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14.2 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 14.10, KDE 4.11.2

Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:56 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 675 times
Post # 298154
richb wrote:
But how well do certain peripherals work with Windows in vm? I found unreliably depending on the peripheral. Examples are golf GPS units, and Harmony remote controllers.

Oh, quite well for me. With WinXP running as a guest OS, I am able to load map updates into my Garmin GPS from the Internet and use the Createive Zen software to transfer music and create playlists to my MP3 player through the USB port using Windows software. I don't know about golf GPS units (I don't play golf), but printers, USB storage pens, MP3 players, etc. are all fully functional and the Windows guest OS can access them all through the USB port.

I'm not saying that there aren't any devices that don't work -- I just haven't run into any yet.

I fully agree that you should use the best tool for the job. But in my case, the best tool for running Windows is a VM running in Linux.

You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:42 pm
Administrator

Have thanks: 1479 times
Post # 298155
joany wrote:
richb wrote:

Oh, quite well for me. With WinXP running as a guest OS, I am able to load map updates into my Garmin GPS from the Internet and use the Createive Zen software to transfer music and create playlists to my MP3 player through the USB port using Windows software. I don't know about golf GPS units (I don't play golf), but printers, USB storage pens, MP3 players, etc. are all fully functional and the Windows guest OS can access them all through the USB port.

I'm not saying that there aren't any devices that don't work -- I just haven't run into any yet.

I fully agree that you should use the best tool for the job. But in my case, the best tool for running Windows is a VM running in Linux.

That has not been my experience.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14.2 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 14.10, KDE 4.11.2

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6