debian live 
Administrator

Have thanks: 1399 times
Post # 299914
Post Re: debian live
arjaybe wrote:
uncle mark wrote:
arjaybe wrote:
Okay, Uncle Mark, you're an old grouch. Now get back to work on those Vi$ta boxes, and be careful not to strip those Phillips screwheads.

Neither job made me much money, but they kept me off the streets for a couple evenings and oughtta be enough for a sack of White Castles and an ice cream cone.

What are White Castles?

http://www.whitecastle.com/

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Wed May 16, 2012 11:09 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 126 times
Post # 299918
So it's a line of proprietary snacks. Thank goodness. I thought it might have been beer and that would have meant beer and ice cream. :eek:

The question is half the size of the universe, and the answer takes up the other half.

Green Comet

Wed May 16, 2012 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 869 times
Post # 299920
arjaybe wrote:
So it's a line of proprietary snacks. Thank goodness. I thought it might have been beer and that would have meant beer and ice cream. :eek:

And there would be something wrong with that, how?

Wed May 16, 2012 12:30 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 96 times
Post # 299922
uncle mark wrote:

My thoughts exactly.
:pint:

Wed May 16, 2012 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 126 times
Post # 299924
uncle mark wrote:
arjaybe wrote:

Oh, right. I keep forgetting about American beer. Up here it's strong enough to curdle the ice cream.-)

The question is half the size of the universe, and the answer takes up the other half.

Green Comet

Wed May 16, 2012 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 857 times
Post # 299926
Small (traditionally so) Hamburgers. Started in upper Midwest. Chicago I think. One of the first fast-food successes. Grilled onions were part of the basic recipe. Available some places boxed, in grocery freezers.

Wed May 16, 2012 2:55 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 585 times
Post # 299935
I tried Live Debian (KDE), it works very nice, very fast to boot.

Some things I didn't like
- didn't detect the WiFi card
- doesn't have a GUI for installing software (people might want to install software, ya know... I can understand that's not a priority for a Live distro, but it can be useful for people who want to test the system, plus you can actually install software if you need in the live session)
- gnash instead of Adobe Flash (understandable choice for free software, however it won't play Hulu and other stuff that depends on Adobe Flash latest version)
- old software in squeeze, for example chromium version in Debian is 6, current one is 19 (I know stability over new features, but in this kind of cases the could probably upgrade non-core things like browsers, I think it's better and safer to upgrade a browser to a new version than to use an old version that has bugs that are already fixed in the new version) or Iceweasel 3.5 instead of Firefox 12... I guess it depends if your focus is servers or desktop users, if you want to serve desktop users that's not quite acceptable. Sure you can get newer stuff from other sources but that's beside the point.

Other than my thought was that I don't know why Warren bothers to make a Debian Live distro anymore...

Wed May 16, 2012 5:05 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 14 times
Post # 299943
Adrian wrote:
I tried Live Debian (KDE), it works very nice, very fast to boot.

Some things I didn't like
- old software in squeeze, for example chromium version in Debian is 6, current one is 19 (I know stability over new features, but in this kind of cases the could probably upgrade non-core things like browsers, I think it's better and safer to upgrade a browser to a new version than to use an old version that has bugs that are already fixed in the new version) or Iceweasel 3.5 instead of Firefox 12... I guess it depends if your focus is servers or desktop users, if you want to serve desktop users that's not quite acceptable. Sure you can get newer stuff from other sources but that's beside the point.

Other than my thought was that I don't know why Warren bothers to make a Debian Live distro anymore...

i need to point out that this Debian Live distro is old. it was released over a year ago. Debian has not released a updated version yet & i do not think that they will until Wheezy becomes Stable. you really should not judge Debian just because of this old live cd.
if you are wanting to try a "testing" release of Debian, the best thing to do is ether create a partition on your HD, or install another HD, download the testing version Debian Netinstall, & use the KDE "Pre-Seed option at bootup. once installed, you will find that the software is more up-to-date.

Wed May 16, 2012 10:46 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 158 times
Post # 299945
robert1 wrote:
i need to point out that this Debian Live distro is old. it was released over a year ago. Debian has not released a updated version yet & i do not think that they will until Wheezy becomes Stable.

Well, it's 6.0.4 -- the 4th Squeeze update, released in January, 2012.

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cur ... so-hybrid/

But, yeah, as Adrian said, there's outdated software, if that's a concern. For example, I added Google Chrome instead of using the old Chromium version they have. For most things besides the web browser, I don't mind software that's a couple of years old, as long as it's working.

For the GUI for installing software, I simply installed Synaptic.

Wed May 16, 2012 11:40 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 585 times
Post # 299946
I almost never use GUI to install software, I prefer aptitude, but for newbies it would be a good thing to have at least one GUI way to install software (by default).

Wed May 16, 2012 11:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next