Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
SolusOS Alpha 5 -- Impressive 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 680 times
Post # 301915
Post Re: SolusOS Alpha 5 -- Impressive
ikey wrote:
@joany we use unionfs. any particular advantage of aufs ?

No particular advantage, as long as it allows installing packages. I don't have a spare testing partition, but I like to test other distros on my actual hardware rather than VirtualBox because it gives a better indication of any hardware incompatibilities that may exist.

ikey wrote:

And yes, PAE enabled kernel by default. (Also BFS, preempt)

Great! I currently use 32-bit pae kernel with my production OS, and I find it provides good performance with fewer software issues than 64-bit.

You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:23 am
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 25 times
Post # 301916
Same. We provide 64-bit of the Eveline release, and 64-bit of 2 will be eventually available but it
hasn't won me over yet. I just simply don't need it. Bit different if you're doing huge video editing
or music and using a realtime kernel, but meh. I'm a dev and a desktop user. I need not such
luxuries ^^

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:25 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 289 times
Post # 301917
I've just installed it to my test box, and tinkered for an hour or so. It's far better than an Alpha; more like an RC from my POV. The only thing I found a problem with was that after installing Synaptic from the software manager, I'm unable to view the repositories in it. I'll play with that a bit more, and if necessary ask over on the Solus forum.

I've recently set up a couple of non-technical users with Mint13 Mate; they both love it, and I've had no call for assistance in a month. This OS has some similarities with Mint, (except it's not green of course!) and would serve them equally well.

The bar has been raised high; we now need to work together to make the next release of Mepis, whatever and whenever that is, at least equal!

Chris

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:36 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 680 times
Post # 301920
ikey wrote:
Aaah. No installing stuff works. They don't propagate to the install and are not persistent.
The live policykit stuff asks for password though, debian live scripts are messed up.
I stopped it doing it for networking stuff and you can use sudo without a password
So usual apt-get interaction is fine

Yep, that's what I encountered. When I tried to set up my HP printer (it wasn't recognized OOTB), the printer application kept asking me for an administrative password. I tried every conceivable password I could think of:

<root>
<toor>
<admin>
<administrative>
<administrator>
<user>
<guest>
< >

And so on. I headed over to the SolusOS Forum to see if I could find out what the administrative password is, but a search on those keywords didn't provide any information.

I found that I couldn't do much with the live DVD environment without the administrative password, so I eventually gave up.

I admit I don't know much about Gnome or Gnome2 -- I tend to be biased toward KDE. Maybe you need to install SolusOS on the HDD to really appreciate its virtues. But I'll keep an eye on SolusOS in the future and try the live DVD again when the RC or final comes out.

You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:43 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 931 times
Post # 301921
ikey wrote:
@uncle mark: Thanks for testing :)
Sidenote: I haven't had any involvement in the Mint project for some time, I only work on SolusOS :)

I stand corrected.

While I can't imagine moving away from MEPIS and/or KDE myself, I do like to keep abreast of what's going on with other distros and DTEs. Unity makes my head hurt, and the Mint thing with Mate or Cinnamon or whatever the heck they've come up with to disguise the real Gnome 3 interface has just made me confused. The little time I've spent with straight up Gnome 3 on Fedora left me wondering if the Gnome developers had lost their minds.

What I saw yesterday while playing with your alpha was enough to make me think that there might be some sanity left on the Gnome side of things.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:02 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 58 times
Post # 301922
I started running 2-A4 in a VM on this computer and did a clean install of it on another computer where Ubuntu messed the boot record up (it is a multi-boot computer and Ubuntu 10.04 was the controlling OS) Ubuntu 12.04 rendered the computer un-bootable. Anyway I used 2-A4 on Sunday to record our church service and all went well.

It runs like a GNOME version of Mepis.

Steve

~Krispy Kritter~

Toshiba Satellite A215-S7427(AMD-64)
Windows7/M11(KDE4.6.5)/M11(RoadblockTRK2-32)'buntus13.1/MX14b2/Tanglu1.0

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 289 times
Post # 301936
uncle mark wrote:
While I can't imagine moving away from MEPIS and/or KDE myself, I do like to keep abreast of what's going on with other distros and DTEs. Unity makes my head hurt, and the Mint thing with Mate or Cinnamon or whatever the heck they've come up with to disguise the real Gnome 3 interface has just made me confused.

Mint 'Mate' is a fork of Gnome 2 (like Trinity is to KDE3) that is optimised to use Gnome 3 applications as far as possible. It's actually very close to SolusOS in use and appearance.

Chris

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:46 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 86 times
Post # 301939
I did a full install of SolusOS 2 Alpha 5 to my hard drive tonight. I'm amazed at how ready this is to go out of the box. I think it needs a few tweaks, but it's usable right now.
Can't wait for Mepis 12, I will be dual-booting these babies :-)

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:03 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 302197
I haven't looked at any of the Alphas yet, but I did install SolusOS 1 onto my mother in laws computer when Mepis wouldn't install (due to 512mb of mem). I was very impressed with it. It left me wondering if I should have been using Gnome all this time instead of KDE. I still like KDE for many of the additional features it provides, but I really like the clean look that SolusOS and Gnome 2 have. If Ikey ever gets a big enough team to create a KDE version that looks as clean as his Gnome version I think I would be convinced to switch. I can't help but to think that some of the features of KDE with the clean appearance of Gnome 2 would be a winning combination. So I'm going to be keeping an eye on Solus. I've not been happy with my Roadblock install (primarily lack of permission issues) and I plan on moving to Mepis 12 ASAP. But if SolusOS beats Mepis with the Weazy release, and is just as stable, I might make the move. Keep up the good work Ikey.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:34 pm
Administrator

Have thanks: 1567 times
Post # 302198
How clean an appearance do you want?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
MX-14.3
Kubuntu 14.10, KDE 4.14.1
Virtualbox: Windows 7

Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next