Apple patents invalid

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MEPIS bashing. You can email the developer of MEPIS if you just want to say you dislike or hate MEPIS.
lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Apple patents invalid

#1 Postby lucky9 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

zeeone
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Apple patents invalid

#2 Postby zeeone » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:10 pm

are not patent wars fun? :p
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Registered Linux User # 398829

GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Postby GoManutd » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:24 pm

apple's misattribution of innovation goes back to palo alto and a visit to xerox. the mouse, gui, etc. were all xerox innovations that apple glommed on to.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby lucky9 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:45 pm

I've never thought that Apple was any smarter than other manufacturers. Especially after the 128 MB Mac was released.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

DBeckett
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Postby DBeckett » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:55 pm

Remember the Apple Lisa?
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Postby joany » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:42 am

The judge wrote in his decision that HTC Corp.'s (TPE:2498) four targeted Android handsets were not in infringement of Apple's patents on swipe-to-unlock as those patents never should have been granted in the first place.

Therein lies the problem with our patent system: The Patent Office rubber stamping invalid patent applications and leaving it to the courts to sort out the mess they created.

Copyrights are even a bigger mess. I was shocked to learn that the Lone Cypress on the 17-mile drive is copyrighted by the Pebble Beach Association. That's right. The Pebble Beach Association actually copyrighted a tree, created by nature and not by them. Nighttime photographs of the Eiffel Tower when it is lit up are also copyrighted, and fees must be paid to the Société Nouvelle d'Exploitation de la Tour Eiffel to publish such images. Thankfully, daytime photographs are not restricted (yet). So if you're in Paris, you're still allowed to take snapshots of the tower in daylight. I wonder when someone will get around to copyrighting the Grand Canyon or sunsets over the Pacific Ocean. :rolleyes:
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

richb
Administrator

#7 Postby richb » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:51 am

joany wrote:
The judge wrote in his decision that HTC Corp.'s (TPE:2498) four targeted Android handsets were not in infringement of Apple's patents on swipe-to-unlock as those patents never should have been granted in the first place.
Therein lies the problem with our patent system: The Patent Office rubber stamping invalid patent applications and leaving it to the courts to sort out the mess they created.

It goes deeper than that. The courts sort out bad, confusing and incomplete legislation in general. Some would argue that is their function, but there is responsibility of legislatures and regulatory agencies to get it right in the first place.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Postby joany » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:00 am

richb wrote:
joany wrote:It goes deeper than that. The courts sort out bad, confusing and incomplete legislation in general. Some would argue that is their function, but there is responsibility of legislatures and regulatory agencies to get it right in the first place.

True, there has always been bad legislation. However, I remember a time when the Patent Office was the first line of defense in screening out ideas that were prior art or that were clearly obvious. In other words, they used to exercise something called discretion. Today, that discretion is gone. Anyone can claim another's idea as their own, as long as it isn't already nailed down by a patent. This makes the Patent Office's job much easier because they don't have to examine the actual merits of an idea; they only have to do a simple patent search, which any patent lawyer can do.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Postby lucky9 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:31 pm

It puts a big load on the courts though.
--Mark Twain

Return to “General”