LibreOffice 3.4

This forum is intended for the discussion around the use of MEPIS in an office setting as distinct from home or indivicual usage. Examples include mail merge, database construction, hardware sharing, advertising, etc..
lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: LibreOffice 3.4

#21 Postby lucky9 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:32 am

I think it's an open software/open source kind of thing. The fork was over OO being controlled by 'other forces'.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

richb
Administrator

#22 Postby richb » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:10 am

LibreOffice 3.4.3 has hit the Mepis repos.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#23 Postby Gaer Boy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:33 am

Upgraded this morning & all seems OK. I think it is quicker to start up and to load files, but that's just an impression.

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-15, MX-14.4
Acer Aspire One 150, Atom N270, 120GB HDD, MX-14.3

GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#24 Postby GoManutd » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:41 am

side note. is there going to be a mepis repo entry to keep openoffice?

as we know, the debian repo maintainers have set the "highest" version of openoffice to a libreoffice transition and many folks can't/won't "upgrade" to LO

please, i'm not looking for comments about compatibility, questions about why i don't want to upgrade, etc. suffice it to say i work at various sites and Oo is what is installed at all of these different sites and i need to know my docs WILL be the same.

richb
Administrator

#25 Postby richb » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:47 am

GoManutd wrote:side note. is there going to be a mepis repo entry to keep openoffice?

as we know, the debian repo maintainers have set the "highest" version of openoffice to a libreoffice transition and many folks can't/won't "upgrade" to LO

please, i'm not looking for comments about compatibility, questions about why i don't want to upgrade, etc. suffice it to say i work at various sites and Oo is what is installed at all of these different sites and i need to know my docs WILL be the same.

I do not know the answer, but there is always the direct download.

http://download.openoffice.org/
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

Dieselrider
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#26 Postby Dieselrider » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:59 am

richb wrote:
GoManutd wrote:side note. is there going to be a mepis repo entry to keep openoffice?

I do not know the answer, but there is always the direct download.

http://download.openoffice.org/

I do not believe you would have any compatibility issues between OO and LO as they both seem to work well with odt formatted documents. The only time I ever have any issues with OO or LO is when trying to forward something to a windows user if I forget to change the format to something windows will accept. What would be the problem with running both on different machines?

Sorry, I just re read your post and realized I am commenting on the compatibility of the thing and you weren't looking for that. Not sure why it an issue at all but, hope you find a satisfactory answer.

GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#27 Postby GoManutd » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:11 pm

The code base is not being managed by a single group. LO is focusing on adding functionality via python. oO via java. forked projects always end up having compatibility issues - devs always end up having different ideas and goals with a project -- otherwise why fork

I can't and won't invest my considerable time and efforts designing documents, complex presentations and then have to worry if it will display/work the same in LO. It's why I dumped Ms office years ago and standardized on Oo

Dieselrider
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#28 Postby Dieselrider » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:50 pm

Thank you for the explanation. I see now why you would want to stick with just one office suite. I really liked OO in M8. It would be nice to see it in the repo. Will the downloading it directly as Rich has suggested work for you?

GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#29 Postby GoManutd » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:07 pm

It's worked in the past, but there have been some problems at times with this method. It's just not as clean a solution as upgrading from a repo

Return to “Office”