A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Can't login to Mepis.org- graylist message 

Have thanks: 1 time
Post # 246201
Post Can't login to Mepis.org- graylist message
We can't login to Mepis.org without getting a graylist message as follows:
Sorry, 24.19.231.72 has been greylisted by http:BL.
You may try whitelisting on http://www.mepis.org/httpbl/whitelist. We are on Comcast in Lacey, WA.

Please fix. Thanks

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 451 times
Post # 246203
Find out what your ip address is by visiting whatismyip.com , the copy it into the search box at http://checker.msrbl.com/v/1/ and run the search.

If you have a dynamic ip address, try switching your router off for more than 12 minutes and powering it back on and see if you get another ip address, if you have a static IP, then visit each rbl engine site indicated in the search and follow the instructions they give to get it removed. when you read their terms and conditions, don't get upset, they do a good service, though sometimes questionable in the effect they create on those with dynamic ip addresses.

We have static ip addresses at home and at work. Sometimes, a customers machine is connected to our work LAN before the machine has been properly vetted as safe to connect and it sends a whackload of spam. (we can easily get 20 "interruptions" within an hour and forget where we were with a particular job, and windows being windows, a task may not have completed, leaving the system still infected. A little later, we find our ip on a few rbl sites. Some give evidence stating date and time, others give no proof whatsoever and the last time, it was me who connected the infected laptop, and it was only connected for 5 minutes before I realised, but still, we got blacklisted. One of the perils of running a computer store. I found out the same way as you did, trying to view a page at mepis.org.

Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(1)Lenovo e520, i7-2640M, 8GB, 750GB Seagate Hybrid, MX-14.1_DVD (my own respin)
(2) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, Radeon HD 4250, 4Gb, 1.5TB, antiX-13-64

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:11 pm

Have thanks: 1 time
Post # 246205
Thanks. I am DHCP and have never seen this before. I tried turning modem, router, computer off for 15 minutes and still got the same address from Comcast. Actually, I turn modem, router, computer off every night and have been getting the Mepis graylist message for several days (but only on Mepis.org). I'll try disconnecting the cable from the modem tonight and report back if that made a difference.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:05 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 321 times
Post # 246207
Are you trying to login or just visit the site? mepis.org does not have members logging in, just admin.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:29 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 451 times
Post # 246303
Have you checked your ip address against the msrbl.com search? If you can get data on when the offending spam was sent, and it was before you were assigned your current ip address, you can call your ISP and ask them to assign you fresh IP address as the one you currently have is listed on a rbl. Provide your ISP with the date and time, and they can do the rest, which might even be to contact the location that the offending mail originated from.

Believe me, you'll be doing your ISP a favour, not harassing them, because if the offending system is still transmitting, more ip addresses within their range of dynamic ip addresses will be getting added to rbl's and it's in your ISP's best interests to stop it immediately and get them cleaned up, so I'm fairly certain they will pull out all stops to assist you with such a complaint, especially if you can prove that it did not come from you.

Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(1)Lenovo e520, i7-2640M, 8GB, 750GB Seagate Hybrid, MX-14.1_DVD (my own respin)
(2) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, Radeon HD 4250, 4Gb, 1.5TB, antiX-13-64

Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]