The mepis.org home page for M11 release

Forum for discussion and implementation of project work to enhance mepis.org and other MEPIS Websites
peregrine
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: The mepis.org home page for M11 release

#11 Postby peregrine » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:02 pm

Unfortunately mepis.org is a fluid design, so getting things to be where you want them is challenging - widen the desktop and everything moves.

EDIT: centered now... do you like it centered or not?
Asus A78M - AMD A10-6800K - 8GB Ram - 120GB SSD - Samsung SyncMaster 2243SWX LCD MX14.2 & MX15 ------ MacBook / Dual Boot OSX & MX15B2

xToeCutter

#12 Postby xToeCutter » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:27 pm

Looks nice... ;)

Utopia
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Postby Utopia » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:35 pm

Not sure about the font, maybe Utopia has a suggestion?

No, can't say. Very difficult. It can be made better, I'm sure of that. But in one day?
Henry

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#14 Postby Jerry3904 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:47 pm

I think we'll put that off until after Final is released.
Production: 4.2.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, MX-15 RC1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 3.16-0-4-686-pae. MX-15, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#15 Postby lucky9 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:25 pm

Looking great. Since this sort of thing is largely magic to me it seems like we have several Magicians on-board. Congratulations to all.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

m_pav
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#16 Postby m_pav » Mon May 02, 2011 3:53 am

I think the font in the block image has the characters too close together, so if it's possible to increase the kerning just a little bit while using the same font, the text might look just that little bit better, or shall I say readable. What brought me to this is the uppercase text is easier to read, because the characters display without any overlap on each character boundary whereas the lower case characters overlap.

Another option may be to tone down the brightness of the text a little if it helps.

Mike P
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Mine)Lenovo T550, i7-5600U, 16GB, 128GB SSD + 1.0TB HDD, MX15 64-bit
(Wifes) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, nVidia GF610, 6Gb, 500GB+320GB, MX14 + KDE
(Kids) Intel NUC, J1900, 4GB, 64GB SSD, MX14 + KDE

zeeone
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#17 Postby zeeone » Mon May 02, 2011 6:02 am

Yes, that looks much better centered. :happy:
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Registered Linux User # 398829

JimC
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#18 Postby JimC » Mon May 02, 2011 8:40 am

I know this kind of thing has a lot do to with personal preference.

But, I'd use a smaller screen or screens for the Mepis desktop with text beside them (like the existing main page) instead. Or, consider just using a plain blue background for that section with text on it (fast, fun, powerful, etc.) as an alternative (perhaps with a border around it). Or, consider using the older wallpaper design instead if you are going to show screen captures with text on them (showing the entire desktop on the main page, versus just the new wallpaper with text on it).

Or, at least consider a screen showing the entire desktop on the main page if you guys insist on putting text about Mepis on the new wallpaper design.

Sorry, but I just can't get used to the new wallpaper, as the bright areas are just too distracting to my eyes, and the simulation of beams of sunlight coming down also add the effect of "veiling flare" (a.k.a., veiling glare), which is the "washed out" look you can get with a cheap lens from reflections in between uncoated glass surfaces, which I also find very distracting except in very rare cases where you want that part to be the main subject of an image.

The human eye is drawn to brighter areas in an image, and that makes it much harder to pay attention to any other content on the page (since your eyes are drawn away from the content promoting Mepis that you want readers to see).

Now, perhaps I just hate it because I spend most of my time on a digital photography site, and pay more attention to those types of issues in images compared to most users (as you'll often see critiques of images pointing out how something like a bright area in a scene pulls a viewer's eyes away from the main subject).

IOW, the bright areas (and washed out look in some areas that looks like veiling flare) in the new wallpaper design drive me nuts trying to look at it on the new main page you're asking about, and I doubt I'd be alone in that regard.

From my perspective, the existing home page at mepis.org is dramatically better than this new one. Frankly, I'd rather it not be changed at all rather than have to look at the new page in it's current form, even if you left the old 8.0 and 8.5 stuff as is and just mentioned Mepis 11 was released somewhere else on the page.

Or, if you really must use it, at least use the entire desktop versus just the wallpaper with text on.

Sorry, and I realize that my opinions may offend some. I should also have become involved earlier by voicing my opinions on some of the artwork before development of Mepis 11 was this far along.

But, I really hate this page design, and IMO, it's a huge step backwards as far as the first impressions a visitor to mepis.org may have when seeing it.

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#19 Postby Adrian » Mon May 02, 2011 9:10 am

Not sure if I agree with all that Jim said, but I think he makes a good point here:
But, I'd use a smaller screen or screens for the Mepis desktop with text beside them (like the existing main page) instead.

Frank D. Hubeny
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#20 Postby Frank D. Hubeny » Mon May 02, 2011 9:24 am

Good Morning;

I liked the new page. Have only one negative thought about it. Can it not be more centered so a person does not have to scroll left or right. Would makeing the text boxes and image slightly smaller work. Perhaps cutting down on the number of text entries would make the text or info boxes smaller. My choice would be for a smaller image as I like the lager easy to read text boxes.
Until the next time we meet thank you for taking the time out of your day to visit
with me. I enjoyed spending time with you.

Frank D. Hubeny

Return to “Website”