MEPIS Community Forum

A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
Anybody thinking about an apt-notify plasmoid? 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 2198 times
Post # 258782
Post Re: Anybody thinking about an apt-notify plasmoid?
Zevon wrote:
Sorry if it appears that I disappeared. :) Thanks for replies various and observations, I had to take a break from Mepis 'ing for a while to deal with health issues.

Anyway, I removed the weather applet and reverted the tray to the 'as installed' state. The displacement is still there 'one step to the right' as it were.
As the tray loads the background moves relative to the bubble if updates are already available. I've tried both hiding the icon and not, and the result is the same.
The whole phenomenon is not a deal breaker of course but it would look better to my eyes if the alignment precision was there. I'll admit a little nostalgia for
the way the icon works in M8.0. ;)

Would you be willing to try an experiment?

I think increasing the 1000 millisecond (1 second) delay at line 74 of the apt-notifier.py file:
Code:
Timer.singleShot(1000, show_message)

might allow the "updates available" popup balloon message to align itself correctly.

Try editting line 74 of the /usr/bin/apt-notifier.py file (Alt+F2 kdesu kwrite /usr/bin/apt-notifier.py) and change the delay from 1000 to maybe 1500 or 2000.

{note: you should probably make a backup of the apt-notifier.py file first}

After you've editted the apt-notifier.py file and saved it, restart the apt-notifier from it's menu entry KMenu > Utilities >Apt-notifier (unhide/start) and then downgrade a package using dpkg to see if the increased delay has worked or not.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:41 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 258802
kmathern wrote:
Would you be willing to try an experiment?

I think increasing the 1000 millisecond (1 second) delay at line 74 of the apt-notifier.py file:
Code:
Timer.singleShot(1000, show_message)

might allow the "updates available" popup balloon message to align itself correctly.

Try editting line 74 of the /usr/bin/apt-notifier.py file (Alt+F2 kdesu kwrite /usr/bin/apt-notifier.py) and change the delay from 1000 to maybe 1500 or 2000.

{note: you should probably make a backup of the apt-notifier.py file first}

After you've editted the apt-notifier.py file and saved it, restart the apt-notifier from it's menu entry KMenu > Utilities >Apt-notifier (unhide/start) and then downgrade a package using dpkg to see if the increased delay has worked or not.

Thanks, and I'm very happy to give it a whirl. I've noted the details and will try the tweak asap, hopefully later today.

Edit because:
Circumstances have worked against the test, (doctor dentist, hospital), I hate getting older...!!
Will get back to it before the final release. :-))

Last edited by Zevon on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:45 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 588 times
Post # 258804
kmathern, do you want to set up a repo for apt-notifier in Github? I think it would be easier to update it and track changes...

Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:33 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 260813
I decided to do a fresh install of M11b1 (as I could still do the timer mod if necessary) and the notification bubble alignment is now correct. I'll keep an eye on it for any further update notifications arriving whilst still loading the desktop.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:08 am

Zevon thanked by: Adrian
Reply to topic   [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33