MX & MEPIS Community Forum

Linux operating systems based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Linux on ARM processor netbooks arrives soon 

Have thanks: 1 time
Post # 249831
Post Linux on ARM processor netbooks arrives soon
Kubuntu (or Ubuntu) is very close to releasing a Linux version that will run on the new ARM processor netbooks. See http://armdevices.net/2010/11/01/mark-shuttleworth-loves-the-toshiba-ac100/
Will we have a Mepis Linux version for the ARM processor netbooks, laptops, desktops which are almost here?

Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:50 pm
Profile WWW

Have thanks: 5 times
Post # 249964
Maybe if someone was willing to donate a new ARM netbook to Warren (if he doesn't already have one) it would be a way to encourage him to develop for it?

Graham: "Indeterminate. I may have drunk them, but maybe I didn't, therefore the 'fridge contains the possibility of no beers and some beers existing in simultaneous superposition ...... I can't drink possible beers, I need actual beers, damn you quantum physics!"
[SIZE="1"]
From loadingreadyrun.com[/SIZE]

Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:10 pm

Post # 258653
Post Re: Linux on ARM processor netbooks arrives soon
Currently, after CES in Las Vegas, the Nufront netbook, laptop and planned desktop with 2 GHz ARM Cortex A9 processor looks like the best bet, details under News at http://Linux-Now.us . The bad news is that they won't be available on the market for 6 months. There is the Toshiba AC100, details at http://armdevices.net/2010/11/01/mark-shuttleworth-loves-the-toshiba-ac100/ which Kubuntu already has a head start on. Right now I'm going to renew my Mepis gold membership which should help Warren obtain a Nufront ARM Linux netbook or laptop so we can have Mepis ARM Linux ready to go when the ARM Linux netbooks or laptops are available.

Update: I don't see the Gold membership available like it was before and I get an error message from PayPal. I would like to find a way to help get Mepis development going for the upcoming ARM Linux computers.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 918 times
Post # 258658
Fox7777 wrote:
Update: I don't see the Gold membership available like it was before...

Click Buy under Quick Links, then scroll down a little.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:37 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 682 times
Post # 258659
What's (and where's) the error, we need to report that to the webmaster.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:16 pm

Post # 258663
When I try to add the gold subscription to the cart, I get the following. I don't have a PayPal account and just wanted to put pay by credit card. Nothing came in my E-mail:

Sorry — your last action could not be completed

If you were making a purchase or sending money, we recommend that you check both your PayPal account and your email for a transaction confirmation after 30 minutes.

If you came to this page from another website, please return to that site (don't use your browser's Back button) and restart your activity.

If you came from PayPal's website, click the PayPal logo in the upper-left corner to return to our home page and restart your activity. You might have to log in again.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As of Jan 21, 2011 I'm not seeing any fix for the above so how about adding information on where to send a check? Thanks

Last edited by Fox7777 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:05 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 1992 times
Post # 258664
Well....I hope he knows how to cross-compile for the ARM architecture on x86. I'm pretty sure it's possible with chroot, but have not been able to figure it out. I sure would not try and rebuild KDE and QT 4 on a netbook...and don't think it would work in Virtual Box.

Edit: or it would work in Virtual Box, or qemu: http://general.nas-central.org/wiki/Set ... _compiling

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]