MX & MEPIS Community Forum

Linux operating systems based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |



Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
mxconfig 
Author Message
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:13 am
Posts: 10557
Location: Geneva NY
Has thanked: 3132 times
Have thanks: 2001 times
Post # 265234
Post Re: mxconfig
Sent this to Warren:
Quote:
<snip> we concluded that the cheatcode "confx" renders the repair function obsolete, and are recommending something like this for the Manual:
-----------------
If your display does not work:
--determine the name of your graphic card (Nvidia, ATI, Intel, etc.) by
opening a Konsole and typing

Code:
lspci | grep VGA

--boot to the live medium
--at the opening GRUB screen, type

Code:
drvr=nameofcard confx

--hit Return
--a file xorg.conf will be generated and it should restore your display.
------------------
Thoughts, comments or help?

To which he responded:
Quote:
Hi Jerry,

That sounds ok.

BTW, I think I have your nvidia detection problem fixed, or at least
improved enough that it will boot up.

Best,

Warren

_________________
Production: 32 bit, 3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae. MX-14.2, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB DDR3, / and /home on Kingston SSD 120 GB, data on WesternDigital 1TB, Dell SP2309W monitor.


Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:38 pm Profile
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:13 am
Posts: 10557
Location: Geneva NY
Has thanked: 3132 times
Have thanks: 2001 times
Post # 265244
Post Re: mxconfig
To end, I wanted to give thanks to all the people who put in time and thought on this project--especially to wireman for his willingness to handle the code side.

:worship: :worship:

I am sorry (and a little surprised) it did not go the way we thought, but I think we learned a lot along the way, and I am particularly glad that we have a valid response to our users' requests.

_________________
Production: 32 bit, 3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae. MX-14.2, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB DDR3, / and /home on Kingston SSD 120 GB, data on WesternDigital 1TB, Dell SP2309W monitor.


Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Jerry3904 thanked by: smilliken, wireman
Profile
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm
Posts: 10808
Location: Rochester NY
Has thanked: 870 times
Have thanks: 1501 times
Post # 265246
Post Re: mxconfig
Jerry3904 wrote:
To end, I wanted to give thanks to all the people who put in time and thought on this project--especially to wireman for his willingness to handle the code side.

:worship: :worship:

I am sorry (and a little surprised) it did not go the way we thought, but I think we learned a lot along the way, and I am particularly glad that we have a valid response to our users' requests.

And a big thank you to you for your excellent leadership on the project. As it developed I sensed that something good was happening beyond an application. It increased our understanding and I believe Warren's of the boot issues related to video card recognition.

_________________
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help
Link to Wiki
Rich

Production: Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14.2 Symbiosis
Virtualbox: Windows 7
Alternate: Kubuntu 14.10, KDE 4.11.2


Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:17 pm Profile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:56 am
Posts: 874
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 87 times
Have thanks: 45 times
Post # 265274
Post Re: mxconfig
I second richb's comment: thank you to Jerry for pushing forward these projects :clap:

Although it hasn't achieved what we thought it would, it has given us a better understanding of the problems and we have all learned something. I can say that I've found working with the code a new and interesting challenge :gamer:


Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:43 pm
Profile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:15 am
Posts: 544
Location: SE IN,USA
Has thanked: 51 times
Have thanks: 3 times
Post # 265276
Post Re: mxconfig
A big thank you to Jerry, Rich, wireman, and everyone else who worked on this.

Wayne

_________________
32bit Desktop
Celeron 2.3 Ghz
MB from old emachine
Intel 845 Graphics
512M RAM
Maxtor 160G
Western Digital 40G

I have windows,just not on my computer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Image


Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:03 pm
Profile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:00 am
Posts: 588
Location: w/coast 5555 ;) high5
Has thanked: 88 times
Have thanks: 122 times
Post # 266137
 Re: mxconfig
wcc1776 wrote:
A big thank you to Jerry, Rich, wireman, and everyone else who worked on this.

Wayne

+1


;-)

_________________
.
.

speedtest.net
:happy: >>> :spoon-fed: ;-)

Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:00 am
Posts: 588
Location: w/coast 5555 ;) high5
Has thanked: 88 times
Have thanks: 122 times
Post # 266582
 Re: mxconfig
hi guys,

concerning the nvidia tab in mxconfig, as per post #1 of this thread. could entering a command similar to this
Code:
aptitude -r install nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-settings
found here,

be made to work? if the drivers and packages were included in our repos. just asking? either way it seems to be worth the time and effort to start using dkms and semi-automate rebuilding the modules when necessary.

also/or, could it be done with legacy and ati... and how does he 'Mr. Woodford' achieve this goal with the proprietary drivers?

thanks :thumbup:

had one blow up on me recently (first time)
same tree/different branch :smiley2: something ate the xorg.co... that was easy ;-)

_________________
.
.

speedtest.net
:happy: >>> :spoon-fed: ;-)

Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:26 pm
Posts: 7210
Has thanked: 399 times
Have thanks: 2361 times
Post # 266584
Post Re: mxconfig
loco wrote:
hi guys,

concerning the nvidia tab in mxconfig, as per post #1 of this thread. could entering a command similar to this
Code:
aptitude -r install nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-settings
found here,

be made to work? if the drivers and packages were included in our repos. just asking? either way it seems to be worth the time and effort to start using dkms and semi-automate rebuilding the modules when necessary.

also/or, could it be done with legacy and ati... and how does he 'Mr. Woodford' achieve this goal with the proprietary drivers?

thanks :thumbup:

had one blow up on me recently (first time)
same tree/different branch :smiley2: something ate the xorg.co... that was easy ;-)

I've used dkms a couple of times for the nvidia legacy driver, see this post: viewtopic.php?p=262509#p262509.

In that example I used apt-get instead of aptitude (-r and --install-recommends are both the same option)

The dkms packages for nvidia & nvidia-legacy are already in the default repos.


Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:21 pm
Profile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:36 am
Posts: 729
Location: Kentucky, USA
Has thanked: 59 times
Have thanks: 48 times
Post # 266585
Post Re: mxconfig
Speaking of configs, Warren's tweat:

Quote:
"Tweaking configs for MEPIS 11, you may need to make some minor adjustments, after you update... sorry..."

_________________
"Don't whiz on my leg, then tell me it's raining.."
Image
Processor=AMD Sempron 64 3100+ Palermo 1.8GHz
Memory=2@1024 MB DDR
Monitor=Hanns-G 19" Flat Panel
Graphics=NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT


Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:19 pm
Posts: 366
Location: Hollister, MO, USA
Has thanked: 6 times
Have thanks: 41 times
Post # 266588
Post Re: mxconfig
Roadblock wrote:
Speaking of configs, Warren's tweat:

Quote:
"Tweaking configs for MEPIS 11, you may need to make some minor adjustments, after you update... sorry..."
WW was right! Apology accepted, Warren -

_________________
MAIN: AMD Athlon II 270 64-bit dual core; 3400mhz; 4 gig RAM; nVidia; 1600x900; 1 Hard disk, 459gb
BACK(up): AMD Athlon II 250 64-bit dual core; 3000mhz; 4 gig RAM; nVldla; 1600x900; 1 Hard disk, 466gb
Wireless network


Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:30 pm
Profile YIM
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.