MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1960 times
Post # 271087
Post Re: new inxi features of possible interest
cookdav wrote:
kmathern wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:
You could also update with inxi -U ie no need to be root.
BTW no need to run inxi as root either.
I think it depends on how inxi was originally installed whether you update it as root or as a regular user.

If it was originally installed using Synaptic I think you would need to update it as root.

As it mentions in our wiki entry, it works best if EXECUTED as normal user.
[Some output doesn't get shown, relating to drivers, IIRC, when you run it as root.]
:bagoverhead:

I wasn't talking about executing the command for it's information gathering purposes. For that you do need to run it as a regular user.

I was talking about it's -U update option.

If you installed inxi using the instructions from the wiki (or with Synaptic) you do need to update it as root.

here's a portion of inxi's -h help menu:
Quote:
Additional Options:
-h - this help menu.
-U Auto-update script. Note: if you installed as root, you
must be root to update
, otherwise user is fine.

-V inxi version information. Prints information then exits.
-% Overrides defective or corrupted data.
-@ Triggers debugger output. Requires debugging level 1-10 (8-10 - logging).
8 - basic logging; 9 - full file/sys info logging; 10 - color logging.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:44 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 121 times
Post # 271089
 Re: new inxi features of possible interest
it'll tell you at the end of the -F which version it's using and i think that is the big one. i forget -U or something like that to upgrade (needs # here).

the -n seems to work fine, no wireless.
Code:
:~$ inxi -n
Resuming in non X mode: glxinfo not found in path
Network:   Card Intel N10/ICH 7 Family LAN Controller driver e100 v: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI port ed00 busID: 02:08.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:00:b4:xx:xx:xx

edit: off-topic, not sure what's going on, upon reinstalling this time
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-270.41.06.run and after installing mesa-utils, yesterday, all seems well. although it doesn't seem to include the nvidia-settings.

ran
Code:
 # cd /usr/local/bin && 'w'get -Nc smxi.org/inxi && chmod +x inxi && inxi
upon noticing this thread, then sensors detect... ect. ect.
Code:
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-270.41.03.run

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by loco on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Location: Midway between the Washington State rainforest, ocean and volcanoes
Have thanks: 69 times
Post # 271092
iridesce wrote:
I am showing 1.4.23-1 as the latest available via Synaptic - is it a matter of waiting for the deb to be updated there, and/or where is the latest version available?

FWIW: When I installed smxi ( http://smxi.org/ ) for a new antiX installation, I found that indeed inxi 1.4.86 was the installed version.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:01 pm
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Have thanks: 44 times
Post # 271132
"Resuming in non X mode: glxinfo not found in path"

means exactly what it says. The package mesa-utils is not installed, that's where Debian puts that app. This has nothing to do with this thread. For full graphics information inxi requires mesa-utils and X11-utils

The required and recommended apps are listed in top part of inxi, and are also listed on the inxi website, in the wiki

Also, antix uses the smxi stub-installer, which will install the current live version of inxi. Whatever is in synaptic/apt has nothing to do with me, that's just the version that the packager last packaged, totally out of my control.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:35 pm

h2-1 thanked by: iridesce
Profile WWW
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 29 times
Post # 271134
Great job Harold! It sure would be nice if not only inxi, but smxi, were included in SimplyMEPIS, as they are in antiX. You may remember, three or four years ago now, that I took a stock Debian system, converted it from Stable (Etch at that time) to Sid, added on the sidux repositories, found and added smxi, and created a pseudo-sidux system, then shortly after that I took one of my MEPIS systems and did the same thing. That was before you added some of the great Debian support that you have in there now, but it still, for the most part, worked. I've always used and loved antiX with smxi, and I have nothing at all to do with sidux or aptosid any more; who needs them when you have a great tool like smxi!

I like the new features, and I've especially appreciated the increased number of features that work with the -G option. My old habit was to always boot to init 3 so that I could run smxi. I still do that with major changes, but it's nice to have the ability to run basic changes while actively using the system.

Keep it up; I have converted several people to the antiX and MEPIS world, mostly because of the availability of smxi, and sold them on the value of having a great console based tool that blows the doors off any other system administration tool, console or GUI, that I can think of.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:11 pm
Profile YIM WWW
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Post # 271150
rokytnji, in order to actually program this into inxi, we need this data:

First, download this file: http://smxi.org/opt/tree-traverse.py
save it to some directory. That's a script that will show us the contents of your /sys directory, so we can find where the actual locations of the usb wifi data is.

To run it, do: chmod +x tree-traverse.py
then do: ./tree-traverse.py >> sys-tree.txt

from inside the directory, this will create the text file we need.

After you have created it, upload it somewhere, like pastebin, and then send me a link to the file.

It's impossible to actually talk anyone through finding this data themselves in /sys, so that script is our only hope if we are trying to implement features for hardware we do not own.

I want to avoid having further dependencies in inxi, like net-utils for ifconfig, plus it's usually faster to query /sys directly than going through another app.

If you post that data maybe I can get usb wifi more complete and working, it's a messy unpredictable thing which is why I haven't done it before, no consistent naming or conventions, just trial and error searches of usb strings.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:04 am
Profile WWW
Post # 271181
Quote:
After you have created it, upload it somewhere, like pastebin, and then send me a link to the file.

I did not have any luck with pastebin.com as it said I exceeded the 5000 or something kilobybte limit so I zipped it up into a tar.gz and will see if I can upload here. I'm not real proficient with Ubuntu one, Pastebin, Dropbox, or any cloud stuff. Still stuck 20 years behind in the Wild West Desert here. Hope that is OK for you. Happy trails, Rok
Attachment:
sys-tree.txt.tar.gz

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:05 am
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Post # 271209
rokytnji, that's useful, now we need about 10 more of these full data sets to get real usb wifi working, though I might be able to get a rough hack running in a few days.

the paths there in /sys for usb wifi are very complicated and I need many more sys tree samples before I can see if there is a real pattern that can be used to get the data.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 435 times
Post # 271233
h2-1 wrote:
rokytnji, that's useful, now we need about 10 more of these full data sets to get real usb wifi working, though I might be able to get a rough hack running in a few days.

I can send you one that is using ndiswrapper and a Win driver. Would that be useful?

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:54 pm
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Post # 271259
if the driver appears on inxi -ni and the IP appears the data is working.

I need this:
lsusb -v
lsusb
cat /proc/net/fib_trie

and the /sys data file using the tree-traverse.py tool.

It makes no difference what driver is running it as far as I know, if it doesn't show currently in inxi and is usb that's what is needed.

USB is much harder than standard pci cards

Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next