View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
The full process from Debian to MEPIS 
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 276729
Post The full process from Debian to MEPIS
What's the full process for creating the MEPIS ISO from the Debian ISO? What's the full process for creating the antiX Linux ISO from the MEPIS ISO?

I ask, because I started a new antiX-based distro called Swift Linux (http://www.swiftlinux.org). In order to improve the process of creating Swift Linux, I need to understand how MEPIS Linux, antiX Linux, and other distros are created. It's the first time I worked on a distro, so I started out not knowing what I'm doing. I still have a lot of work to do in improving my processes.

I know that MEPIS has repositories on GitHub. I've seen antiX files at mepisimo.com . But I feel like I only have some of the puzzle pieces and don't know how it all fits together.

Can anyone shed some light for me?

Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:52 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 139 times
Post # 276734
Post Re: The full process from Debian to MEPIS
Don't think anyone is going to give you a step by step because it is slightly more complicated than you might assume. I would suggest you go to Distrowatch and download yourself a copy of Linux from Scratch to get an idea of what you are asking. Good luck. :lipsrsealed:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:50 pm

JBoman thanked by: kapookee
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 1962 times
Post # 276740
You'd have to ask Warren Woodford how he does it. All I know is that he compiles and maintains everything on a Macbook Pro.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:52 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 468 times
Post # 276770
AntX is, or was in its early days, at the very least, remastered from Mepis.
Start at the Mepis Wiki and use remastering as your search criteria. You can get the latest script from github and/or you can add to it, though if you do, please annotate your changes.

Adriantm took the notes from the original remastering page, which I has spent some time editing, but I was not the creator of it. Adriantm wrote a script, linked it to a new page and I took his script and asked a very talented unix user for his input, he provided some excellent assistance and returned the script with his annotations, Adrian learnt from them and other sources, then he tidied up the script a great deal and has upgraded it a few times before putting it up on github.

What we need now is some people with an even greater skillset and inclination to step up and take the script to an application level, possibly with a GUI, but if you read through it, you'll see that it simply prepares the environment into which you do the hard work, then it aids you to wrap it all up again into a working Mepis variant by repackaging it, and of course you can re-enter the chroot pre-build environment to make further changes and repeat the build process for bugfixes etc.

Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(1)Lenovo e520, i7-2640M, 8GB, 750GB Seagate Hybrid, MX-14.1_DVD (my own respin)
(2) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, Radeon HD 4250, 4Gb, 1.5TB, antiX-13-64

Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:07 am

m_pav thanked by: jdmeaux1952
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 376 times
Post # 276800
whenever i see projects like this pop up, i always ask is it necessary? what is it that you don't like about antix that is causing you to go off and create a new distro? and, is the effort better spent creating a new distro, OR helping better antix?

Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:45 pm

GoManutd thanked by: iridesce
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 2 times
Post # 276817
Take a look at remastersys. It will remaster (i.e. create an .iso with your changes) from ubuntu or debian. It doesn't always work with Mepis or Antix, because of the changes Warren has made in the way Mepis boots and sets up the system. There is also a remastering script which AdrianTM wrote -- you'll find reference to it on this site. I don't think it has been updated to work with Mepis 11 yet.

remastersys site http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/

I have worked with creating my own distro, but GoManutd is correct, there are already so many distros, you need to ask yourself whether there is a need for another one. Mepis and Antix always need community help -- you should consider using your talents to help with an existing distro rather than creating a new one.

Debian has tools to create an .iso -- Debian Live

Your original question was how to create a distro. You need tools to create the live .iso. You need a script that essentially copies the structure of the .iso to a hard drive (an installer). You need to include user and root user setup, setup for grub, fstab, partitions. There are a few other things but that's most of it. You need to make a number of decisions about packages you want to include, appearance, kernel, etc.

Mike

Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 100 times
Post # 276821
GoManutd wrote:
whenever i see projects like this pop up, i always ask is it necessary? what is it that you don't like about antix that is causing you to go off and create a new distro? and, is the effort better spent creating a new distro, OR helping better antix?

True. But Warren Woodford did precisely that with Debian (I'm pretty sure people at Debian didn't see the need) and thanks to him and MEPIS, I became a full Linux user.

While such efforts might be seen as scattering resources, I think they are also healthy...somehow. First, they make wannabe developers more experienced and they may end up contributing to the main distributions. Second, they teach these young developers the great amount of time and effort that making a distro takes, which in turn makes them appreciate these distros and their developers more. Finally, it is a form of human backup. If the experienced developers pass away or are unable to go on with the projects, what would happen if others didn't get interested in this knowledge?

Right...they could learn just the same from within the distro, but some people are more motivated when they work on their own thing. I hope Swiftlinuxcreator may remember the help he/she got and give back to MEPIS and antiX.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:44 pm

megatotoro thanked by: arjaybe, kapookee
Profile WWW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 9 times
Post # 276824
GoManutd wrote:

Even though I still consider myself a linux/mepis newbie, I have to agree here. I feel that Mepis / AntiX is a real blessing and an awesome community of support. I think that rather than trying to take it and repackage it to make something you can call your own, your efforts would be better used to support the work that happens within the community of people who support Mepis.

That is what makes community. I hear a lot of people "talk" about community these days, it's become quite the buzzword and a lot of people are even trying to market "community". But most of these people have no idea of what community truly is. At its heart, it's about putting others first and it's not about "me".

That is what has captured my heart about this Mepis community, I really feel that people here know and respect each other, and have done their best to help me as well. It's something special and it's an honor to just be a part of it.

Chris

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:21 pm

cgriffin thanked by: DBeckett, lucky9
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 132 times
Post # 276826
Megatotoro makes a good point. The more people playing with the code the better, I think. It's not my kind of fun but I appreciate the people who do it.

The question is half the size of the universe, and the answer takes up the other half.

Green Comet

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 376 times
Post # 276835
i don't have issue with people playing with code, etc. hell, i do it all the time with perl, etc. but, it's one thing to take a distro and remaster it for your own edification, etc., and it's another to take what is obviously a good project/product that does exactly what was intended tweaking it and making a different distro.

you see this happen with perl modules, python libraries, etc. it's great that someone wants to learn more, but if something great already exists why recreate the wheel? why not help make the product better?

it's open source, so remastering, etc. is all up to what a person wants to do. i just would suggest that, if someone finds a open source project cool and useful, that the first inclination be to offer their help and not create more fractures. no offense, but, really... 5 posts on this forum, no seeming help to the rest of the community and swift expects a lot of help remastering a distro?

the purpose of the mepis community is to further mepis, not help water it down.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next