Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Need testing of Spideroak [SOLVED] 
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1535 times
Post # 279023
Post Re: Need testing of Spideroak
Quote:
With Spideroak, you have to first setup the folders to back up on both machines, which meant backing up an empty folder on the netbook. Then they can be synched.
I found that out too, annoying. So far I find it nowhere as convenient as Dropbox, but maybe it is therefore more secure?

32bit, 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae, MX-14, AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core, Dell SP2309W with integrated webcam, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE, 4 GB DDR2

Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:55 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Location: Midway between the Washington State rainforest, ocean and volcanoes
Have thanks: 69 times
Post # 279034
I installed the Debian (Non-Current) 64-bit Intel/AMD ( spideroak_9830_amd64.deb ) version and the installation went flawlessly. :toast2:

Being lazy, I didn't want to leave my Mepis11 partition to check on the synching with my other partitions.

I did however create a Share Room and was able to access the data from a browser.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:44 pm

iridesce thanked by: Jerry3904
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1663 times
Post # 279036
Jerry3904 wrote:
Quote:
With Spideroak, you have to first setup the folders to back up on both machines, which meant backing up an empty folder on the netbook. Then they can be synched.
I found that out too, annoying. So far I find it nowhere as convenient as Dropbox, but maybe it is therefore more secure?

According to this: https://spideroak.com/engineering_matters#true_privacy

it's absolutely more secure. The files are encrypted on your computer using your password. Dropbox uploads the files in "plaintext", then re-encrypts them on their end, but reserves the option to "share" them with those in authority.

Check out http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-308.txt, (save as txt file, start reading about line 66.)

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:55 pm

Stevo thanked by: iridesce, Jerry3904
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Location: Midway between the Washington State rainforest, ocean and volcanoes
Have thanks: 69 times
Post # 279102
Encryption is our friend
Damn legalese :contract:

Thanks for the links both of you
Jerry3904 wrote:
Check out http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-308.txt, (save as txt file, start reading about line 66.)

or search ( find ) the browser page for "Yup. I'm glad you're going to cover this Dropbox thing because I didn't" :happy:

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:09 am
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Have thanks: 62 times
Post # 279357
Just installed SpiderOak at a machine with SM 11 32 bit. Install was easy (spideroak_9830_i386.deb), maybe a fat package, due to the encryption libraries.
At the moment it works OK. For subscribers it is cheaper (100 GB instead of 50GB from Dropbox for your 10 bucks).

Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:18 am

eselma thanked by: Jerry3904
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 295 times
Post # 279670
For online backup it seems to be fine. I tried creating a folder to share with my daughter in another state. That feature does not seem to work. It creates the folder but none of the information is sent with the link it creates - no files, folder name, nothing. There were comments on the spideroak forum - others were finding that it did not work.

Custom Made by Saist --- AntiX 13.2, MX14, Roadblock 4.7.4, Kubuntu 13.10 / Athlon64 X2 4600+ / Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS / 2 GB RAM / WD 640 GB SATA / Samsung SyncMaster 2243SWX LCD ------ MacBook Pro / Dual Boot MX14

Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:42 pm

peregrine thanked by: Jerry3904
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 260 times
Post # 279742
I still find Spideroak very clunky and slow in operation, but it seems to do everything it claims. I have had to jump through a few hoops in getting Sync to work, but it does work now. I've also created a share folder which is accessible on my second machine (which doesn't have Spideroak installed). Try this link https://spideroak.com/browse/share/PJH/Birds11

It should give you a folder called 'webpics' containing 2 small jpegs. As far as I can see, you have to download the files you choose - there's no view function. Let me know if this works.

I don't find these functions very intuitive and I think this is because they are bolt-ons to the main online backup function. Share only seems to work as a broadcast function, ie one-way; you make available files or folders for anyone who has the link to download. Sync requires that Spideroak on the other machine is set up with a folder of the same name which has already been backed up on that machine, even if it is empty.

Automatic synching works between my 2 machines, and also between my Mepis and XP installations. I haven't yet moved to autostarting Spideroak, so I have to remember to start it each time. I still want to explore the functions before committing to it.

BTW, the backup/upload process for those 2 jpegs took almost 3 minutes.

Phil

Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3, Phenom II X2 550 BE (now X3), 8GB.
120GB Corsair SSD, ITB Samsung HDD, MX-14 Symbiosis, Mepis 11.9.92-64.
Acer Aspire One 150, Atom N270, 120GB HDD, MX-14 / WinXP

Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:06 am

Gaer Boy thanked by: Jerry3904
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1535 times
Post # 279746
Thanks, everybody, but it's over. I sent a digest of our testing to Warren, and got this back:
Quote:
Thanks Jerry.

When doing a backup, SpiderOak hogs my internet connection so much I
can't use the internet for anything else.

Scratch SpiderOak...
Good work, Community!

32bit, 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae, MX-14, AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core, Dell SP2309W with integrated webcam, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE, 4 GB DDR2

Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:43 am
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Have thanks: 62 times
Post # 280550
Post Re: Need testing of Spideroak [SOLVED]
I did more tests about cloud backup services, as SpiderOak and Wuala on my main computer (AMD 9650 2,4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, SM 11-32).

My conclusions so far are:

- As said before, installation of SpiderOak client was fine using "current" Debian 32 bit. Wuala client uses Java (=> ver1.6) but looks well and has localisation in several languages.
- When SpiderOak starts encrypting/compressing, there is a peak of CPU load, but only makes use of one core. Then the load decreases and remains about 1%.
- Use of RAM by SpiderOak is quite low: about 1 - 1,6 % in my case.
- The upload speed of SpiderOak can be adjusted to your likes, so it does not interferes with usual web browsing or email. Download speed is negligible.
- The very first backup takes a lot of time in my case (several GB); this was due to my ISP provider: 10 Gb/s d/l, but only 600 kb/s upload.
- Further backups (automatic, in background) are almost unnoticeable: they upload only the difference of data.
- Dropbox can backup only one directory, that can due to a duplication of data (putting data from different places on a new directory).
- SpiderOak and Wuala lets you choose different combinations of directories.
- These are waaay safer than Dropbox: data is encrypted locally and the provider does not knows your password. All they store are chunks of encrypted data in different places.
- Dropbox is very elementary, but easier to handle by everyone, newbies included.
- SO and Wuala have much more options, but the tabbed menus and manuals are clear enough.
- Dropbox had the data of some customers wide open during hours sometime ago.
- All them let you have a free account of about 2 GB.
- Paid fares are lower in SpiderOak or Wuala than in Dropbox.

Please, if some of you have good/bad experiences with cloud backup/sync providers and like to share it with everybody else, that could be useful for all use in these days.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:53 am

eselma thanked by: Jerry3904, lucky9, richb
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2