View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
New linuxrc script available for LiveDVD/USB 
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 556 times
Post # 286444
Post New linuxrc script available for LiveDVD/USB
I've been developing a new linuxrc script for antiX. We are planning to include it in the next antiX release. I've made sure it is still compatible with Mepis. It has a lot of advanced features including debugging, persistence, md5 checking, and remastering.

It is much faster and much more robust than the linuxrc script it replaces (which was derived from the script you are currently using). It includes an updated busybox which makes some of the more advanced features possible. For example, it recognizes disk labels (and UUIDs) so you can specify the boot device by label. A few of the more advanced features require userland scripts and optionally a few init scripts. These are also available. They run in a GUI (with yad) and can also run on the command line.

Even if you don't want to use any of the advanced features, it is a vast improvement over the linuxrc you are currently using (which is about 80% cruft and needlessly complicated). For example, the rootdelay option is never needed with the new script because we automatically retry if the squashfs can't be found. IMO, this alone is a huge improvement. This, in turn, allowed us to get rid of a bunch of ad hoc delays in the script that were designed to reduce the chances of the user having to use rootdelay. A complete re-write was required in order to do this.

If any of you (Mepis devs) are interested in giving this a test-drive, I would be happy to help you. To try it, you just need to replace the initrd.gz on an iso or usb-stick with a new one. Some HTML documentation is also available. The code is all GPLv2 or higher.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:51 pm Profile
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 719 times
Post # 286481
Post Re: New linuxrc script available for LiveDVD/USB
That's nice, can you please e-mail the info to dev at mepis.org so Warren will be able to include if he likes it?

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:14 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 2087 times
Post # 286482
I already sent him the link. What I would like to see is for this to be incorporated into our Git repo.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:19 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 286485
Jerry3904 wrote:
I already sent him the link. What I would like to see is for this to be incorporated into our Git repo.

That's a good idea, since this is created by BitJam I extend him the invitation to join the group on Github, he can create the repo for it if he wants.

Find us at: https://github.com/organizations/MEPIS-Community
Started a new project: https://github.com/MEPIS-Community/linuxrc
PM us with the Github username to be added with full access to the repo.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:25 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 556 times
Post # 286493
I would prefer not to deal with Github ATM as I am concentrating on getting userland scripts finished for the next antiX release and I'm short on brainspace. I hope to have more free time for you in a few weeks. I wanted to give you a heads-up so someone can give it a test-drive and look at the documentation and decide if this is something you are interested in pursuing.

What would be ideal for me is if I could deal with just one or two people and email them the new linuxrc, a working initrd.gz, and a tarball of the html documentation. I'm updating the documentation now to reflect changes (mostly name changes) that were made in the last few months.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:52 pm

BitJam thanked by: GuiGuy
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 286506
The only person that you need to deal with is Warren, he will decide if he will include that or not, we are just amateurs who help with what we can, but we have no decision power about what goes into MEPIS DVD.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]