MEPIS Community Forum

A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Any ideas for default applications for MEPIS 11.5? 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 296818
Post Re: Any ideas for default applications for MEPIS 11.5?
Stevo wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the stock M11 VLC can't play MJPEG avi files, which are produced by low-end digital cameras and run about 100 MB/minute for 640x480 24 fps video (huge). They don't have much compression, thus are used on slow hardware which can't spare the CPU cycles for compression. The problem was that the stock VLC 1.1.3 was built against ffmpeg 0.5, and M11 comes with the ffmpeg 0.6 libraries. The CR version was built against the 0.6 version also.

My camera is not low end. I'd say its a nice mid grade SLR 'LIKE' Fuji FinePix S5200, but it is probably 10 years old. So it might have been the format. Either way, it works now. I am also glad to hear that VLC seems to work with so many others. My biggest concern was if I was having this issue so were others.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:35 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 444 times
Post # 296822
Eadwine Rose wrote:
fargo.. I had the green screen thing. Enable the CR repos, install the VLC from that. Green screen is gone for me.

FWIW, Wheezy just upgraded to vlc 2.0.0-6.
However, the vlc plug-in has been removed.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:04 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 1858 times
Post # 296871
I noticed the lack of plugin when building it, too. The changelog says it's now in a separate source package, but other comments I find when searching for the source say that it's been unmaintained for a couple of years and has lots of trouble with the newer browser releases. (haven't found the separate source yet, either)

Hmmmm--just found a clue that it's been revised and is now the npapi-vlc plugin, which is not yet packaged for Debian.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:13 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 61 times
Post # 296879
I just ran across this thread and I must say I am not looking forward for an upgrade. Not that I do not like things to move forward, it's just that I use Mepis on my production machines and it takes a lot of time to end up with a system working the way I want.

At any rate I believe Mepis could use a sort of a system restore that works from within Mepis. Getting the system you need working the way you want inevitably includes re-installs. These take time and internet resources. A good system restore program should allow us to come back to a working installation if we mess up.

I also use Webmin and TrueCrypt on all my machines. Sgfxi if it stands a chance.

An area of improvement has to be webcams. I find it difficult to find a suitable compatible web camera to use on my systems.

Michel

NB: I know it's not a priority but an Ethiopic Keyman like combination keyboard would really be apreciated :happy:

Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:36 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

Have thanks: 1410 times
Post # 296886
Of course you need not upgrade.

System restores consume gigabytes of disk space. Usually repairs to Linux systems are accomplished very easily, and for new users with some help. if all else fails a re-install is quick and of course your data has been backed up so that is not an issue. Having said that some of the minimal tools are very useful such as xorg and grub re-install.

Webcams have not been much of an issue for Linux for a couple years.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:37 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 733 times
Post # 296888
michelmassoud wrote:
I just ran across this thread and I must say I am not looking forward for an upgrade. Not that I do not like things to move forward, it's just that I use Mepis on my production machines and it takes a lot of time to end up with a system working the way I want.

At any rate I believe Mepis could use a sort of a system restore that works from within Mepis. Getting the system you need working the way you want inevitably includes re-installs. These take time and internet resources. A good system restore program should allow us to come back to a working installation if we mess up.

In reality reading above you should be looking forward to the next release, as it will use Grub2, which cuts out a few steps in making a live installable DVD of your system, that is a 100% clone of your installed system,
So how does it work, after a new install with everything setup as required make a live DVD, then you use Nepomuk Backup (which is installed by default in KDE 4.7 and works 100% ) to backup your important data on a regular basis,
Then if your computer screws up do a reinstall using the live DVD, bring it up to date and install the Nepomuk Backups.
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=29920

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:13 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 296904
Sounds good. Lucky Backup was working well, is Nepomuk better?

Michel

Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 733 times
Post # 296923
michelmassoud wrote:
Sounds good. Lucky Backup was working well, is Nepomuk better?

Michel

Is Nepomuk (Networked Environment for Personal, Ontology-based Management of Unified Knowledge) better, I would say it is if used as it should be, that is for backing up important docs etc, which in reality is all you should be backing up any way.
Nepomuk has come a long way since its introduction into KDE4 and is continually improving with with every release,
It is integrated into KDE4 and is one of the core elements of the system, so why not learn to use it to its full potential, because you are using it now,
run this in Konsole.
Quote:
ps ax | grep nepomuk.

In future releases you will be able to backup directly to a server or to the cloud,
it is a lot easier to setup even for a new user.
And to those who think Nepomuk is a KDE idea, it was developed with funding from the European Union and other sources to the tune of 17 million Euros, or about $23.5 million dollars. official funding ended at the end of 2008, and since then Nepomuk-KDE has continued development for the PC desktop.
Note I am talking about future releases of Mepis, not Mepis 11.0, or a system that uses KDE 4.6 and after.

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:34 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 1830 times
Post # 296926
I have been impressed with Nepomuk in my work context, though I don't use it yet for backup. Will now consider...

32bit, 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae, MX-14, AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core, Dell SP2309W with integrated webcam, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE, 4 GB DDR2

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:30 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 296968
Impressive. Specially the name :-)

Michel

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:54 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next