Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
New Warren news 
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 754 times
Post # 294449
Post Re: New Warren news
Roadblock wrote:
Review of a beta, RC or final release is fair game. But on an alpha? Give me a break!!!

Any "review" of anything other than a final release is totally absurd.

Kingston 2G x 2 1333 DDR3
WD Caviar 500GB x 2 SATA hdd

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:03 pm
Administrator

Have thanks: 1279 times
Post # 294452
uncle mark wrote:
Roadblock wrote:
Review of a beta, RC or final release is fair game. But on an alpha? Give me a break!!!

I am not suggesting a review, just an announcement.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:39 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 48 times
Post # 294461
Quote:

Strictly speaking, I suppose that's true. At any rate, I wasn't suggesting a review either, but I'll restate what I said.

For those who care about the Distrowatch page hit rankings, (I no longer do, and haven't for a while), keeping Ladislav informed about the new 11.0.12 release and later on the 11.5 release cycle, would likely be a good idea. I don't think the page hit rankings ever recovered from the absence of ANY news about version 7.0.....

Memory=2@1024 MB DDR
Monitor=Hanns-G 19" Flat Panel
Graphics=NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Last edited by Roadblock on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:14 am
Profile WWW
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 294957
JBoman wrote:
Saist wrote:
JBoman wrote:
Like that "jump as far forward as possible" stuff :crossfingers: :p :footinmouth: Jerry

Here's hoping that it includes KDE 4.8!

Hey Saist!, Good to see you're still around and agree 4.8 would be nice. It probably wouldn't bother me to much if he took his nice creation for a little spin on Sid either: that's a long shot but ya never know considering his recent reply. :cool:

I agree that KDE 4.8 would be nice, but I'd rather see Mepis stick to Debian stable. There are other options out there based on sid. I've tried a rolling release distro in the past and I didn't like the constant changes and updates. I'd rather have a quality stable release than the newest and ever changing rolling distro. Although depending on how Debian CUT (Continuously Usable Testing) matures, it might be worth considering in the future.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:43 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1952 times
Post # 294960
Fargo wrote:
I agree that KDE 4.8 would be nice, but I'd rather see Mepis stick to Debian stable. There are other options out there based on sid. I've tried a rolling release distro in the past and I didn't like the constant changes and updates. I'd rather have a quality stable release than the newest and ever changing rolling distro. Although depending on how Debian CUT (Continuously Usable Testing) matures, it might be worth considering in the future.

I you really want Debian stable, that would mean rolling back to KDE 4.4

Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:47 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Post # 294964
kmathern wrote:
Fargo wrote:

I you really want Debian stable, that would mean rolling back to KDE 4.4

OK, I guess it doesn't have to be pure Debian stable. I appreciate the updated release versions. What I don't like is a rolling release that has to be continually updated and in doing so, you risk breaking programs and having things change. Once my OS is installed, I simply want security updates and program updates. I don't want drasitic changes made to the underlying OS. With my previous rolling release, I would on occasion loose settings and sometimes have once functioning systems break due to update changes. Especially KDE changes would cause havac. Its the solid base of Mepis along with the updated community repos that keeps me using Mepis. If Mepis changed to a rolling release based on Sid I would look elsewhere for my distro of choice. I know that a rolling release is the latest trend and everyone is moving in that direction, but I want stability. I don't want my system changing until I am ready to do a fresh install and change it. Thats all. Not trying to be offensive or anything. I just like my Mepis the way it is. It seems to fill a niche right now. I don't see a need to become another rolling release based on Sid or Testing.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:22 pm
Administrator

Post # 294965
With Warren's philosophy rest assured you will not see a rolling release. But that is apart from offering KDE 4.8. Would that be pure Debian stable, no but I trust "stable" nonetheless.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis

Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:26 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Post # 294967
richb wrote:
With Warren's philosophy rest assured you will not see a rolling release. But that is apart from offering KDE 4.8. Would that be pure Debian stable, no but I trust "stable" nonetheless.

I guess I'm a bit ignorant about how it all works. I thought that if it was based on Sid it would have to use the Sid repositories. Which to my understanding are always changing and updating. Thus, I saw it as a change to rolling release. I have no problems with it being based on Sid or Testing as long as all the bugs have been work out and the release is stable and the repos are stable and not introducing system changes.

When I think rolling release I think 'been there done that'. Its fun for a play computer to see what the latest and greatest is, but for a work machine the changes just become annoyances and get in the way of production.

Anyway, glad to hear that Warren isn't likely to go the rolling route. With that settled, I'm not overly concerned about the base, as long as its rock solid and not changing.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:44 pm
Administrator

Post # 294968
For example I am running KDE 4.7.4 in Mepis 11 with Stevo's packaging. I am still using the stable Squeeze repos. I think Stevo had to backport select packages from Wheezy to make it all work, but it is still essentially Debian Squeeze. That is my understanding.

Rich

Mx-14 Symbiosis

Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:52 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1952 times
Post # 294969
richb wrote:
For example I am running KDE 4.7.4 in Mepis 11 with Stevo's packaging. I am still using the stable Squeeze repos. I think Stevo had to backport select packages from Wheezy to make it all work, but it is still essentially Debian Squeeze. That is my understanding.

KDE 4.7.4 was backported from Debian Experimental. I think the earlier 4.6.5 backport might have been from Wheezy.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next