Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
New Warren news 
Administrator

Have thanks: 1362 times
Post # 294970
Post Re: New Warren news
kmathern wrote:
richb wrote:
For example I am running KDE 4.7.4 in Mepis 11 with Stevo's packaging. I am still using the stable Squeeze repos. I think Stevo had to backport select packages from Wheezy to make it all work, but it is still essentially Debian Squeeze. That is my understanding.

KDE 4.7.4 was backported from Debian Experimental. I think the earlier 4.6.5 backport might have been from Wheezy.

Even so those were KDE packages. Security updates and non-KDE packages are still from Squeeze, with some exceptions.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:04 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 294971
richb wrote:
For example I am running KDE 4.7.4 in Mepis 11 with Stevo's packaging. I am still using the stable Squeeze repos. I think Stevo had to backport select packages from Wheezy to make it all work, but it is still essentially Debian Squeeze. That is my understanding.

Yeah, I guess in my mind this is still based on Debian Stable since its still compatible with the stable repos. Even though its not pure stable. Has anyone made an installable remaster of this? I'm doing a fresh install on my wifes computer right now and I would install this version if it was available for download anywhere. I'm just scared to do the changes myself in fear of causing instability down the road.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:11 pm
Administrator

Have thanks: 1362 times
Post # 294973
I am not aware of any remaster.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:36 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 800 times
Post # 294975
I think there is a misconception about rolling release distros. Just because a distro is 'rolling' doesn't mean the user has to upgrade every time something enters the repos. You can just simply disable the repos and upgrade once a X determined by you.

Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX "Luddite" - lean and mean.
http://antix.mepis.org

Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:54 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 847 times
Post # 294978
Another option is to disable all repositories and use only the security one. I use that on one of my 'puters.

I think the thing to remember about Mepis is that the Mepis (and Community) repositories are where the 'more advanced than Stable' programs (and KDE versions) come from. This is one of the big reasons that the number of Mepis Users is increasing.
Also our Packaging Team has done yeoman work keeping Mepis updated with new versions of programs. And when Warren Woodford puts out a new version it's rock-solid and up to date.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:40 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 48 times
Post # 294981
Aside from KDE versions and particular packages from our (outstanding) development folks, Mepis is still based on Debian stable. When you start with a secure & stable base, and build correctly on top of that, you have a rock solid, dependable, Linux distro. Does feeling & communicating that make me a "fan boy" as I have been accused of, why not? I'll play that hand all day and then some. If it ain't broken......., well........, you know the rest. ;)

Memory=2@1024 MB DDR
Monitor=Hanns-G 19" Flat Panel
Graphics=NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1825 times
Post # 294989
Fargo wrote:
richb wrote:

Yeah, I guess in my mind this is still based on Debian Stable since its still compatible with the stable repos. Even though its not pure stable. Has anyone made an installable remaster of this? I'm doing a fresh install on my wifes computer right now and I would install this version if it was available for download anywhere. I'm just scared to do the changes myself in fear of causing instability down the road.

Has anyone tried the refracta-snapshot debs here? https://github.com/fsmithred/refracta

Just click on the deb links, then on the "raw" links, to get the deb files.

(refracta is a respin of Debian Squeeze) I'd also install the refracta-installer debs, just in case the MEPIS installer does not work. I'm going to experiment with them eventually, but lots of big heavy Mozilla builds are in the way. I'd also like to play with the script to see if I can use squashfs-xz that's in the Liquorix kernels, and probably the newest Debian ones, too.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:21 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 800 times
Post # 294990
Very quick reply stevo as I have to go, the refracta snapshot scripts won't work with MEPIS as is. However, I have adapted them to work with antiX so I'm sure thay can be adapted for MEPIS as well.

(Latest antiX-test.iso includes these scripts as well as a 3.2.2 kernel using xz compression for building the 'squashfs' file. Pop over to antiX forums for information)

Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX "Luddite" - lean and mean.
http://antix.mepis.org

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:28 pm

anticapitalista thanked by: lucky9
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 846 times
Post # 294995
Roadblock wrote:
Aside from KDE versions and particular packages from our (outstanding) development folks, Mepis is still based on Debian stable. When you start with a secure & stable base, and build correctly on top of that, you have a rock solid, dependable, Linux distro.

This is exactly how it works.

Warren starts with Stable, then builds on top of that. The Community takes it even further. The result is a rock solid base with a more up to date DTE and apps. The foundation remains at Stable, while the DTE and apps are more recent. Best of both worlds.

Is it cutting edge or latest & greatest? Of course not. If that's what you want, MEPIS is not for you.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:04 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 294996
uncle mark wrote:
Roadblock wrote:
Aside from KDE versions and particular packages from our (outstanding) development folks, Mepis is still based on Debian stable. When you start with a secure & stable base, and build correctly on top of that, you have a rock solid, dependable, Linux distro.

This is exactly how it works.

Warren starts with Stable, then builds on top of that. The Community takes it even further. The result is a rock solid base with a more up to date DTE and apps. The foundation remains at Stable, while the DTE and apps are more recent. Best of both worlds.

Is it cutting edge or latest & greatest? Of course not. If that's what you want, MEPIS is not for you.

Yeah this is what I love about Mepis. It does seem to be the best of both worlds as I have a stable base but updated programs available in the community repos.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next