MEPIS Community Forum

A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Next version of Mepis and installing other DEs possibility? 
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 300176
Post Next version of Mepis and installing other DEs possibility?
Hi,

I have read a lot on other distros' forums about Mepis and that it is a nice and stable distro. Also that it is based on Debian stable and that the next version after Mepis 11 is around the corner. Could you inform me how far away is the next Mepis version. Should I download Mepis 11 or wait for the next version? Kindly also inform me if it is possible to add other DEs like Gnome and Xfce along with the default KDE in Mepis? Best regards:)

Wed May 23, 2012 8:03 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 1914 times
Post # 300179
Post Re: Next version of Mepis and installing other DEs possibili
Thanks for your questions--and welcome to MEPIS.

1) MEPIS 12 is not "around the corner," unless the corner you mean is in another country. We are currently waiting for an alpha, meaning that no user testing has occurred yet.
2) Other DEs are easily added through the repos

Bottom line: install MEPIS 11

Wed May 23, 2012 8:21 am
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post # 300215
Mepis works with the Debian repos, so any package available in the Debian squeeze repo, can be easily installed in Mepis.
It can do this because Mepis is based from Debian, but this also means that The next version of Mepis will only be available around the time the next Debian Stable is available. Debian release the nex stable, "when it's ready" This can result in some older packages which some people don't like, but others like my self, love the long release cycle and stability, and find it perfect.

Wed May 23, 2012 5:48 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 892 times
Post # 300220
Up to date software is available in the community repositories. Enable them in Synaptic and Reload to see what's available.

Wed May 23, 2012 7:25 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 1962 times
Post # 300234
Yes, the other desktops install and work from the repos. Currently I have KDE 4.7.4, XFCE 4.10 (backported), and Debian Squeeze versions of GNOME, LXDE and awesome WM all available in the KDM login manager. You can also use gdm as the login manager.

Thu May 24, 2012 1:00 am
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post # 300546
Thanks all for your replies and I feel Mepis should be a great distro plus the community is very cooperative! So about the other desktop environments do they work perfectly after installation or if not perfectly just after installation, can the errors be corrected later so they work without any problems? Also as Mepis is based on Debian stable, is it possible to customize Mepis as one can customize Debian stable? I have concluded to use Mepis although there are other Debian stable based distros like Saline OS, Solus OS and Snow Linux. But they are new distros and are not mature. Mepis is a mature distro so I would go with it. I wish to download the current version through bit torrent and the official link to Mepis is:

http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... tegory=341

I would go with a 32 bit version. Kindly guide me should I select the following link available at the above website:

SimplyMEPIS 1 5G 11 0 12 32 iso

Kindly confirm and inform about the above mentioned points. Best regard. :happy:

Wed May 30, 2012 3:42 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 913 times
Post # 300552
Tomjerry wrote:
I wish to download the current version through bit torrent and the official link to Mepis is:

http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... tegory=341

I would go with a 32 bit version. Kindly guide me should I select the following link available at the above website:

SimplyMEPIS 1 5G 11 0 12 32 iso

Kindly confirm and inform about the above mentioned points. Best regard. :happy:

Yes, that would be the correct torrent for the latest 32-bit version of MEPIS.

Wed May 30, 2012 4:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]