Next version of Mepis and installing other DEs possibility?

Those new to MEPIS or not very experienced can post their questions here.
Tomjerry
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Next version of Mepis and installing other DEs possibility?

#1 Postby Tomjerry » Wed May 23, 2012 8:03 am

Hi,

I have read a lot on other distros' forums about Mepis and that it is a nice and stable distro. Also that it is based on Debian stable and that the next version after Mepis 11 is around the corner. Could you inform me how far away is the next Mepis version. Should I download Mepis 11 or wait for the next version? Kindly also inform me if it is possible to add other DEs like Gnome and Xfce along with the default KDE in Mepis? Best regards:)

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Next version of Mepis and installing other DEs possibili

#2 Postby Jerry3904 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:21 am

Thanks for your questions--and welcome to MEPIS.

1) MEPIS 12 is not "around the corner," unless the corner you mean is in another country. We are currently waiting for an alpha, meaning that no user testing has occurred yet.
2) Other DEs are easily added through the repos

Bottom line: install MEPIS 11
Production: 4.2.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, MX-15 RC1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 3.16-0-4-686-pae. MX-15, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

knightron
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Postby knightron » Wed May 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Mepis works with the Debian repos, so any package available in the Debian squeeze repo, can be easily installed in Mepis.
It can do this because Mepis is based from Debian, but this also means that The next version of Mepis will only be available around the time the next Debian Stable is available. Debian release the nex stable, "when it's ready" This can result in some older packages which some people don't like, but others like my self, love the long release cycle and stability, and find it perfect.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby lucky9 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:25 pm

Up to date software is available in the community repositories. Enable them in Synaptic and Reload to see what's available.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Postby Stevo » Thu May 24, 2012 1:00 am

Yes, the other desktops install and work from the repos. Currently I have KDE 4.7.4, XFCE 4.10 (backported), and Debian Squeeze versions of GNOME, LXDE and awesome WM all available in the KDM login manager. You can also use gdm as the login manager.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

James Branch Cabell

Tomjerry
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#6 Postby Tomjerry » Wed May 30, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks all for your replies and I feel Mepis should be a great distro plus the community is very cooperative! So about the other desktop environments do they work perfectly after installation or if not perfectly just after installation, can the errors be corrected later so they work without any problems? Also as Mepis is based on Debian stable, is it possible to customize Mepis as one can customize Debian stable? I have concluded to use Mepis although there are other Debian stable based distros like Saline OS, Solus OS and Snow Linux. But they are new distros and are not mature. Mepis is a mature distro so I would go with it. I wish to download the current version through bit torrent and the official link to Mepis is:

http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... tegory=341

I would go with a 32 bit version. Kindly guide me should I select the following link available at the above website:

SimplyMEPIS 1 5G 11 0 12 32 iso

Kindly confirm and inform about the above mentioned points. Best regard. :happy:

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Postby uncle mark » Wed May 30, 2012 4:40 pm

Tomjerry wrote:I wish to download the current version through bit torrent and the official link to Mepis is:

http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... tegory=341

I would go with a 32 bit version. Kindly guide me should I select the following link available at the above website:

SimplyMEPIS 1 5G 11 0 12 32 iso

Kindly confirm and inform about the above mentioned points. Best regard. :happy:

Yes, that would be the correct torrent for the latest 32-bit version of MEPIS.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

Return to “Newbies”