View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
RE:previous releases at 'end of life' 
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 290006
Post RE:previous releases at 'end of life'
I'm wanting to trial Mepis 8.0, as it has KDE 3, but someone on another forum tried to discourage me from getting this release. He said "KDE 3.X support was dropped ages ago", that SimplyMepis 8.0 is "near end of life", its "out of support soon", and that I will only be able to "run it for less than 4 months." I've often wondered what this 'out of support' stuff actually means in Linux distros. Just what sort of problems could trial of Mepis 8.0 cause? Is anyone here using any 'out of support' linux release that has caused major difficulties?

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:49 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 446 times
Post # 290010
Post Re: RE:previous releases at 'end of life'
"Out of support" does not mean that it will stop working on your machine, only that there will no longer be any further updates for it.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:59 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 142 times
Post # 290011
DBeckett wrote:
...only that there will no longer be any further updates for it.
and lack of security updates is the big concern I believe.

If you want KDE3-like, please give MEPIS 11 a try, you might like it - I think it's similar to the feel of KDE 3.

Cheers

Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:26 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 1774 times
Post # 290021
MEPIS 8 should continue to run OK until the next debian release when squeeze becomes oldstable and lenny moves to archives.

However many current programs just cannot be built for MEPIS 8.0 anymore. The newest Google Chrome, the newest Firefox, the latest Pithos, etc. won't work with lenny libraries. And those programs that can be built often aren't for lack of demand. Stevo & I still build the occasional M8 package for the Community Repository but you won't see many updates from debian.

That doesn't mean it's unusable. I just updated an M8 install on a Thinkpad w/ 240MB RAM.
It has the latest Pidgin (from the Community Repo), Java, & Flash and Iceweasel 5.0 (also from the Community Repo) runs just fine.

So it comes down to how you use your computer and how important running newer packages is to you. There are usage patterns where MEPIS 8 just won't cut it and patterns where it's just peachy.

I do agree with chatan that MEPIS 11 has KDE4 set up in such a way that it's very usable and while I can still use KDE 3.x productively if need be, I no longer prefer it. If you have 1GB RAM or more it's certainly worth trying.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:02 pm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post # 290105
DBeckett wrote:
"Out of support" does not mean that it will stop working on your machine, only that there will no longer be any further updates for it.

Okay, so as I understand "updates" you're saying basically that Mepis 8.0 is 'as-is', so no software components it does not already have will be available. So if I can live with Mepis 8.0 as it is right now, this update stuff doesn't really mean much...at least to me, right?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:18 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 446 times
Post # 290111
Ensom wrote:
Okay, so as I understand "updates" you're saying basically that Mepis 8.0 is 'as-is', so no software components it does not already have will be available. So if I can live with Mepis 8.0 as it is right now, this update stuff doesn't really mean much...at least to me, right?

Correct. Once support ends, there will be no more security updates, nor application updates, but if it's working for you as it is, on your hardware as it is, then there's no reason you can't continue to use it. However, you may eventually run into issues if you try to add newer hardware, or, say, a newer browser (for instance).

As an example, support for Windows 2000 Pro ended in July of 2010. I continue to use it for my own purposes with no problems (so far).

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:36 pm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post # 290116
timkb4cq wrote:
MEPIS 8 should continue to run OK until the next debian release when squeeze becomes oldstable and lenny moves to archives.

However many current programs just cannot be built for MEPIS 8.0 anymore. The newest Google Chrome, the newest Firefox, the latest Pithos, etc. won't work with lenny libraries. And those programs that can be built often aren't for lack of demand. Stevo & I still build the occasional M8 package for the Community Repository but you won't see many updates from debian.

That doesn't mean it's unusable. I just updated an M8 install on a Thinkpad w/ 240MB RAM.
It has the latest Pidgin (from the Community Repo), Java, & Flash and Iceweasel 5.0 (also from the Community Repo) runs just fine.

So it comes down to how you use your computer and how important running newer packages is to you. There are usage patterns where MEPIS 8 just won't cut it and patterns where it's just peachy.

I do agree with chatan that MEPIS 11 has KDE4 set up in such a way that it's very usable and while I can still use KDE 3.x productively if need be, I no longer prefer it. If you have 1GB RAM or more it's certainly worth trying.

I don't foresee any of that as a problem. I'll trial Linux Mint, PinguyOS, and Ultimate Edition to pick one as my primary OS, and all these are the full-blown-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink type distros. Secondary OS will be one of the lightweights (SimplyMepis, Puppy, or Damn Small Linux), chosen because they all have reputation as 'bare-bones' distros. So how about the security issue that chatan mentioned? I've never used any Linux before, but all my google research indicates it was pretty secure from the get-go, and way better than anything Billie Gates ever offered. So just how insecure is 'end-of-life' or 'out of support' releases like Mepis 8.0, EvilEntity, etc.? Guy on other forum made it sound like I'm courting disaster! What's your take on all this?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:42 pm
Administrator

Have thanks: 1433 times
Post # 290118
Mepis is hardly bare bones Linux.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:44 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 139 times
Post # 290121
Run a good router and a firewall and don't download e-mails and I doubt you ever encounter a problem. I would fly 8.0 anywhere on the net without fear. :blindfold: Jerry

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:50 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 887 times
Post # 290122
I think we have one or two that run Mepis 6, 6.5, and 7. I keep Mepis 6.5 around for the onthego feature alone. Just too neat a solution for me to pass up.

As far as security goes I wouldn't be afraid as long as a good firewall interface was available (or I was behind a Router). But then I am a careful online Browser.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next