MEPIS Community Forum

A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |



Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
RE:previous releases at 'end of life' 
Author Message
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:21 pm
Posts: 20
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 290006
Post RE:previous releases at 'end of life'
I'm wanting to trial Mepis 8.0, as it has KDE 3, but someone on another forum tried to discourage me from getting this release. He said "KDE 3.X support was dropped ages ago", that SimplyMepis 8.0 is "near end of life", its "out of support soon", and that I will only be able to "run it for less than 4 months." I've often wondered what this 'out of support' stuff actually means in Linux distros. Just what sort of problems could trial of Mepis 8.0 cause? Is anyone here using any 'out of support' linux release that has caused major difficulties?


Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:49 pm
Profile
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:59 pm
Posts: 2902
Has thanked: 420 times
Have thanks: 446 times
Post # 290010
Post Re: RE:previous releases at 'end of life'
.
"Out of support" does not mean that it will stop working on your machine, only that there will no longer be any further updates for it.

_________________
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, Radeon HD6570
Gigabyte A55M-DS2, AMD A4-3400 dual-core APU (llano), 2.7 GHz, Radeon HD graphics
IBM ThinkPad T43, Intel Pentium M, 1.73GHz, Intel chipset


Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:59 pm
Profile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:19 pm
Posts: 798
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Has thanked: 100 times
Have thanks: 142 times
Post # 290011
Post Re: RE:previous releases at 'end of life'
DBeckett wrote:
.
...only that there will no longer be any further updates for it.
and lack of security updates is the big concern I believe.

If you want KDE3-like, please give MEPIS 11 a try, you might like it - I think it's similar to the feel of KDE 3.

Cheers


Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:26 pm
Profile
Online
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:05 pm
Posts: 2816
Location: Pinellas Park, FL
Has thanked: 105 times
Have thanks: 1774 times
Post # 290021
Post Re: RE:previous releases at 'end of life'
MEPIS 8 should continue to run OK until the next debian release when squeeze becomes oldstable and lenny moves to archives.

However many current programs just cannot be built for MEPIS 8.0 anymore. The newest Google Chrome, the newest Firefox, the latest Pithos, etc. won't work with lenny libraries. And those programs that can be built often aren't for lack of demand. Stevo & I still build the occasional M8 package for the Community Repository but you won't see many updates from debian.

That doesn't mean it's unusable. I just updated an M8 install on a Thinkpad w/ 240MB RAM.
It has the latest Pidgin (from the Community Repo), Java, & Flash and Iceweasel 5.0 (also from the Community Repo) runs just fine.

So it comes down to how you use your computer and how important running newer packages is to you. There are usage patterns where MEPIS 8 just won't cut it and patterns where it's just peachy.

I do agree with chatan that MEPIS 11 has KDE4 set up in such a way that it's very usable and while I can still use KDE 3.x productively if need be, I no longer prefer it. If you have 1GB RAM or more it's certainly worth trying.

_________________
XFX Nforce 750 (built in GeForce 8300), Athlon X2 5000
Lenovo G550 , Intel T4400 , Intel Mobile 4 graphics


Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:02 pm
Profile
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:21 pm
Posts: 20
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 290105
Post Re: RE:previous releases at 'end of life'
DBeckett wrote:
.
"Out of support" does not mean that it will stop working on your machine, only that there will no longer be any further updates for it.


Okay, so as I understand "updates" you're saying basically that Mepis 8.0 is 'as-is', so no software components it does not already have will be available. So if I can live with Mepis 8.0 as it is right now, this update stuff doesn't really mean much...at least to me, right?


Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:18 pm
Profile
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:59 pm
Posts: 2902
Has thanked: 420 times
Have thanks: 446 times
Post # 290111
Post Re: RE:previous releases at 'end of life'
Ensom wrote:
Okay, so as I understand "updates" you're saying basically that Mepis 8.0 is 'as-is', so no software components it does not already have will be available. So if I can live with Mepis 8.0 as it is right now, this update stuff doesn't really mean much...at least to me, right?

Correct. Once support ends, there will be no more security updates, nor application updates, but if it's working for you as it is, on your hardware as it is, then there's no reason you can't continue to use it. However, you may eventually run into issues if you try to add newer hardware, or, say, a newer browser (for instance).

As an example, support for Windows 2000 Pro ended in July of 2010. I continue to use it for my own purposes with no problems (so far).

_________________
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, Radeon HD6570
Gigabyte A55M-DS2, AMD A4-3400 dual-core APU (llano), 2.7 GHz, Radeon HD graphics
IBM ThinkPad T43, Intel Pentium M, 1.73GHz, Intel chipset


Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:36 pm
Profile
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:21 pm
Posts: 20
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 290116
Post Re: RE:previous releases at 'end of life'
timkb4cq wrote:
MEPIS 8 should continue to run OK until the next debian release when squeeze becomes oldstable and lenny moves to archives.

However many current programs just cannot be built for MEPIS 8.0 anymore. The newest Google Chrome, the newest Firefox, the latest Pithos, etc. won't work with lenny libraries. And those programs that can be built often aren't for lack of demand. Stevo & I still build the occasional M8 package for the Community Repository but you won't see many updates from debian.

That doesn't mean it's unusable. I just updated an M8 install on a Thinkpad w/ 240MB RAM.
It has the latest Pidgin (from the Community Repo), Java, & Flash and Iceweasel 5.0 (also from the Community Repo) runs just fine.

So it comes down to how you use your computer and how important running newer packages is to you. There are usage patterns where MEPIS 8 just won't cut it and patterns where it's just peachy.

I do agree with chatan that MEPIS 11 has KDE4 set up in such a way that it's very usable and while I can still use KDE 3.x productively if need be, I no longer prefer it. If you have 1GB RAM or more it's certainly worth trying.


I don't foresee any of that as a problem. I'll trial Linux Mint, PinguyOS, and Ultimate Edition to pick one as my primary OS, and all these are the full-blown-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink type distros. Secondary OS will be one of the lightweights (SimplyMepis, Puppy, or Damn Small Linux), chosen because they all have reputation as 'bare-bones' distros. So how about the security issue that chatan mentioned? I've never used any Linux before, but all my google research indicates it was pretty secure from the get-go, and way better than anything Billie Gates ever offered. So just how insecure is 'end-of-life' or 'out of support' releases like Mepis 8.0, EvilEntity, etc.? Guy on other forum made it sound like I'm courting disaster! What's your take on all this?


Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:42 pm
Profile
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm
Posts: 10690
Location: Rochester NY
Has thanked: 835 times
Have thanks: 1433 times
Post # 290118
Post Re: RE:previous releases at 'end of life'
Mepis is hardly bare bones Linux.

_________________
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help
Link to Wiki
Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2


Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:44 pm
Profile
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:30 pm
Posts: 1458
Location: Flinthills of Kansas, USA
Has thanked: 254 times
Have thanks: 139 times
Post # 290121
Post Re: RE:previous releases at 'end of life'
Run a good router and a firewall and don't download e-mails and I doubt you ever encounter a problem. I would fly 8.0 anywhere on the net without fear. :blindfold: Jerry

_________________
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram M-11.9.92 kernel 3.10-3-amd64 kde 4.11.5 mixed/unstable
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"


Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:50 pm
Profile
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:54 am
Posts: 10946
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma U.S.A.
Has thanked: 3701 times
Have thanks: 887 times
Post # 290122
Post Re: RE:previous releases at 'end of life'
I think we have one or two that run Mepis 6, 6.5, and 7. I keep Mepis 6.5 around for the onthego feature alone. Just too neat a solution for me to pass up.

As far as security goes I wouldn't be afraid as long as a good firewall interface was available (or I was behind a Router). But then I am a careful online Browser.

_________________
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain


Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:52 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.