Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Not getting correct resolution 
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 2163 times
Post # 299564
Post Re: Not getting correct resolution
ESSID file ????

Do you perhaps mean EDID file? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_display_identification_data

Sun May 06, 2012 12:20 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 280 times
Post # 299565
Yep... too much time working with wireless. ;-)

I edited it to correct it.

Apparently, the Nvidia X-Server Utilities allow you to reload a corrected EDID for a display from a file via an "Acquire EDID" button you should find on one of the screens in the GPU0 submenus (at least I see one on my system running Mepis 11 with the latest Nvidia X-Server Settings program and drivers installed using the sgfxi script).

I'm finding forum posts from BenQ owners that have done that kind of thing because the display's EDID info was incorrect.

So, I'd probably try to google for the display model and EDID to find threads where others may have done the same thing with the OP's display model in case something like that is the issue versus a conflict with the on board graphics, etc.

Sun May 06, 2012 12:33 pm
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 299631
The driver I am currently using is the nvidia beta driver 302.07 I think it is the EDID option is blanked out with it as screenshot should show. When using the 295.49 driver there is no EDID option at all. Both were installed with sgfxi.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 07, 2012 9:07 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Post # 299637
That is an odd result from your screen captures, as I'd expect it to show it's detecting a monitor of some type (and that looks like it's not seeing one at all).

Have you tried another display with it to see if it behaves differently? That would probably give us a better idea if the problem is monitor specific or if there's something else going on.

How about a different interface from the card (hdmi versus dvi, etc.)?

Some of the threads I've seen around do indicate odd behavior with some BenQ monitors (especially some that use a higher refresh rate with 3D capabilities), only allowing 640x480 unless using specific Nvidia Driver versions with an EDID file overriding the way one is being detected. For example, I found a thread started by someone with a BenQ XL2410T that found they needed to go back to Nvidia driver version v285.62 in Windows to get the correct refresh rate and resolutions with 2D working OK; and they had to use 260.61 to get 3D working in Windows, and use an EDID override with it.

With Linux you may find that a different combo is needed *if* it's an EDID related issue. I've also seen some examples where BenQ owners posted their xorf.conf after getting a display to work correctly, showing an option line for a custom EDID (specific EDID filename). I don't know if that would work with newer versions like Mepis 11 that don't normally use one. But, if not, the conf information that Nvidia drivers use for something like an EDID override is probably stored somewhere where you could add it manually if you could find an EDID file with the correct parameters for the display (if it's an issue with the way it's being detected and there is not something else going on).

But, without even knowing what specific monitor you have and more about it, it's hard to search for threads about what may work for your display model (or one needing the same settings), and to see if others have found a solution for it (or for a display with the same features that needs the same settings for frequencies, etc. to work).

What is the exact model number of your BenQ display?

Then we'd know more about it. Your problem may not be related to the problems I've seen posted about the way some BenQ displays are not being properly detected. But, if you'd let us know the exact monitor model, we could do some more digging.

BTW, it looks like I may be misunderstanding what that EDID Acquire button does. It apparently polls the display and lets you save a file with the EDID info that was detected in it. Then, you can modify it if needed and use an override pointing to a corrected EDID file.

So, since you're not even seeing the ability to acquire one from the display, it may not be detecting it.

I'd let us know the monitor model for starters. Have you tried the other card connections to see if a different one makes any difference (for example, dvi versus hdmi or vice-versa if the monitor supports multiple connection types?

Mon May 07, 2012 11:01 pm
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 299638
BENQ Model name - G2400WD

MFG Date Jan 2009

Model ET-0009-B

Nothing comes up at all when I use the onboard video. I can't use the HDMI on the graphics card unless I cut some of the case out, don't have a VGA lead.

Tue May 08, 2012 1:51 am
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Post # 299639
I'd see what changing the below section of your /etc/x11/xorg.conf file does (assuming it's still the same as you posted earlier), as those Horizontal Sync and Vertical Refresh rates do not appear to be correct for the BenQ G2400WD. The bottom (below where I said Change to:) is what I'm finding for the G2400WD specs (Horizontal of 31-94, Vertical of 50-85), and it looks like it probably uses a Horizontal Setting of 83 and a Vertical Setting of 76 at it's native resolution. So, your existing /etc/x11/xorg.conf settings would not support that (probably because the monitor is being detected wrong or returning the wrong information).

Change from:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 31-48
VertRefresh 50-90
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Change to:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"