Disk ID Confusion

Those new to MEPIS or not very experienced can post their questions here.
muskt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Disk ID Confusion

#11 Postby muskt » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:47 am

Now, I'm more confused than ever.

I made another install on a different drive. SDC3

I had a terrible time finding a drive identifier that would boot. Finally settled on (hd3,2). IT WORKS!!

Additionally, I went to the install on SDD1 and deleted the GRUB folder--to see what would happen--NOTHING--boots perfectly.

Went to the SDC3 install and deleted the GRUB folder, & it too booted correctly.

Here is a screen shot of the menu.lst from my primary Mepis 11 install SDA1.

I cannot explain the disk numbering; & I really think that I should stop trying to figure it out. As Lucky9 said, "If it aint.....".

One more thing, in the original post, the menulst.png pic had that second Win 7 entry # out with all the entries being preceeded by the #. I do not remember removing the #s. Another gremlin?? I may have done it, I just do not remember doing it.

Jerry in Anchorage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Disk ID Confusion

#12 Postby lucky9 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:16 pm

As I said, leave well enough alone. I'm fairly sure the the menu.lst is only needed on the 'master' booting OS. If I understand correctly the menu.lst looks for something in the /boot folder/directory. The MBR part of GRUB is the only thing that needs a menu.lst.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Newbies”