MEPIS Community Forum

A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Mepis metallic light wallpaper (8.5-9.0) 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 9 times
Post # 187231
Very nice piece of art and looks like we have a pro. ;)

Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:35 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 78 times
Post # 187244
I will tune it better, so tell me what needs modification?

- capitalized I's
- smaller logo?
- i will check location of the logo with my kde4 machine

what else???

Attached is the Mepis 8 logo, it has been very popular with a lot of are users, the size is great, I would like to see what you can do with it, maybe give it your metallic effect.

Note the logo is white so you will need a colored background to see it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Registered Linux User #380263
Registered Linux Computer #279395
Linux, working hard to save you $$$ - Get a clue, get Linux!
Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz
Intel Desktop Board D945GTP
Intel ICH7 Ethernet Controller
Intel ICH7 Audio
nVidia GeForce 6200 Video

Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 187254
Has anybody figured out how to change the colors of the panel, does it use panel wallpaper like 3.5 did?

I've been wondering about this too.
Is it tied into a plasma theme?

Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 135 times
Post # 187278
Yes - it's part of the plasma theme - and I think it's controlled by svg image inside the theme. you'd need to take an existing one apart I think - and then work from there.

Idea - if we cannot work it out for ourselves - maybe one of the art team could contact someone like Ivan Čukić from KDE - who wrote the Lancelot applet and also did the slim-glow plasma theme. I'm sure if we explained what we wanted, someone like that could point us in the right direction (tutorial etc).

Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:10 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 692 times
Post # 187330
Can you also make a 1280x1024 version? That's the proportions actually used for the wallpaper in Mepis. After the poll and when everything is finished, the artwork is sent to Warren and it's his choice if Mepislovers recommendations are to be followed or not. Don't know anything about his taste when it comes to logos, but it could be an advantage if also a version of the wallpaper with the crackdown font and the normal logo (not necessarily white) was made.
Henry

Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:47 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 24 times
Post # 187335
Attached is the Mepis 8 logo, it has been very popular with a lot of are users, the size is great, I would like to see what you can do with it, maybe give it your metallic effect.

I have to do that metallic effect for bigger pictures but u can resize it smaller.
Check: http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4161/mepislinuxtextandlogo.png

Also I fixed those background images. Now those have better positioning and two different logo sizes with two different mepis text. Look at first of post of this thread.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:56 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 187338
Hi josk,
Can you also make a 1280x1024 version? That's the proportions actually used for the wallpaper in Mepis. After the poll and when everything is finished, the artwork is sent to Warren and it's his choice if Mepislovers recommendations are to be followed or not. Don't know anything about his taste when it comes to logos, but it could be an advantage if also a version of the wallpaper with the crackdown font and the normal logo (not necessarily white) was made.
Henry

Ok I will made 4:3 version later on with correct font and logo.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:05 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 187344
It's very valuable to have everything ready in advance. Last time there was a wallpaper poll, we had to rush everything to get it ready. There's always some unforeseen aspects, like the wallpapers gradients being choppy in GRUB and splashy (shown in much fewer colors). Takes a lot of work to fix.
For ergonomics: Is it possible to tone down the bright white spots slightly without destroying the character of the wallpaper?
This was a personal remark, don't know if mepis users in general get sore eyes after days in front of their screens. If not possible it is good as it is.
Henry

Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:07 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 187393
Thanks josk!
It's very valuable to have everything ready in advance. Last time there was a wallpaper poll, we had to rush everything to get it ready. There's always some unforeseen aspects, like the wallpapers gradients being choppy in GRUB and splashy (shown in much fewer colors). Takes a lot of work to fix.
For ergonomics: Is it possible to tone down the bright white spots slightly without destroying the character of the wallpaper?
This was a personal remark, don't know if mepis users in general get sore eyes after days in front of their screens. If not possible it is good as it is.
Henry

Good points! Everything is in own layers so I can do anything for that bg. So if some elements needs modification I can do it. I just need your feedback. And if you have some other ideas for bg let me know. I can try to do it. Personally I just like to play with image editors and do some stuff. Hope u like it.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:51 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 187397
Your own ideas seems to be good enough for making wallpapers. I think it's valuable that wallpapers reflect different artists temperament and style. Can you please make a few more for the Art gallery, the final poll will be so much better with more artists involved. As you can see the submitting has been rather slow. I uploaded some of my own and hoped for a lot of others to come streaming in. The art team is very small, two members only, the poll should be very dull with only our stuff to chose between. And the wallpaper is the very foundation of what is sent to Warren. An announcement here after you have submitted a wallpaper will make Larry alert to the fact that the Art gallery must be updated and hopefully inspire others to send some of their artwork.
And yes, I like your wallpaper. That's why I'm writing this.
Henry

Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next