MX & MEPIS Community Forum

Linux operating systems based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |



Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Why is Mepis 11 slower than Mepis 8.5 - Low mem laptop 
Author Message
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:44 pm
Posts: 659
Has thanked: 6 times
Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 301683
Post Why is Mepis 11 slower than Mepis 8.5 - Low mem laptop
I've been looking for solutions to installing Linux on my mother in laws HP Pavilion laptop with 512mb RAM. I previuosly had a thread about installing Mepis 11 outside of the livecd hoping the install would be faster than the live cd. The general concensus was that Mepis 11 was just too slow for 512mb of RAM. So I had concluded that I would use SolusOS which uses Gnome 2 and is quite responsive on the laptop. Seeing how all my other machines are Mepis and KDE, I was really hoping to use Mepis again on this laptop since I will be the maintainer for my mother-in-law and she lives 10 hours away. So it would be nice to have something I know and I am used to.

I had read that the new KDE 4.8 is more responsive than older kde. So I tried Mepis Roadblock which is 4.7. But it was about the same as M11. So then I though maybe I should try something older with KDE3. It would at least be a little more similar than Gnome. So I happened to find an old copy of Mepis 8.5 laying around. I knew it was still KDE 4 but I thought what the heck. I'll give it a spin. To my surprise it seems to run nearly as fast as Solus with Gnome 2. So why is Mepis8.5 with KDE4 so much faster than Mepis11 KDE4? Is there a program in M11 that bogs things down that I might not need and can remove? What are some other suggestions? I beleive Mepis 8.5 is built on Debian 5. How long will Debian 5 be supported? Would it be reasonable to run Mepis 8.5 instead of Mepis 11? Or would Solus built on Debian 6 be a better option due to a newer kernal and longer service life?


Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:01 pm
Profile
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:45 pm
Posts: 5738
Location: Penn's Woods
Has thanked: 837 times
Have thanks: 680 times
Post # 301687
Post Re: Why is Mepis 11 slower than Mepis 8.5 - Low mem laptop
Others are far more knowledgeable than I am about how different versions of kernels and KDE interact with various hardware configurations, but I'll throw in my two cents anyway.

I installed MEPIS 8.5 more than two years ago, and I bypassed MEPIS 11 because of a couple of problems with it that couldn't be fixed. I'm very happy with the speed, responsiveness, and stability of 8.5; nevertheless, its days are clearly numbered.

I'm finding that my software options are becoming increasingly limited by the Lenny repositories, and sooner or later Debian will terminate support for Lenny entirely. When Warren shuts down the MEPIS 8.5 repositories in the near future it won't even be possible to install 8.5 any longer. That's the way it is with Linux: Short development cycles, and the constant need to upgrade, upgrade, and upgrade.

I'm eagerly waiting for the arrival of MEPIS 12 so I can try switching over to it. I wouldn't use 8.5 for any new installation, except as short-term solution or stop gap.

_________________
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.


Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:42 pm
Profile
Online
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:26 pm
Posts: 7342
Has thanked: 407 times
Have thanks: 2424 times
Post # 301690
Post Re: Why is Mepis 11 slower than Mepis 8.5 - Low mem laptop
I don't know if you're testing the responsiveness of M11 and/or Mepis Roadblock from an actual install or in a LiveDVD session. I also have no idea what the specs are of that HP Pavilion laptop other than the 512 MB you mention.

I'm using a fairly ancient machine (32bit Athlon XP 3000, 1GB RAM, FX5200 legacy nvidia card). On my hardware running a M11 Live session (LiveDVD/LiveISO) kind of gives a false impression of the responsiveness of the system. I think it's mainly because of the video driver being used during the Live session (the FX5200 can't use the proprietary nvidia driver that's preinstalled so it uses the nv or vesa driver). After M11 has been installed to harddrive and the proprietary 173xx legacy nvidia driver has been installed it does seem fairly responsive.

KDE 4.8 seems even more responsive than the KDE 4.5.x that M11 used and it seems to use fewer system resources.


Fargo wrote:
How long will Debian 5 be supported?
Debian 5 (Lenny) is no longer supported by Debian, it was EOL'd (end of life) back in February.


Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:03 pm
Profile
Online
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:26 pm
Posts: 7342
Has thanked: 407 times
Have thanks: 2424 times
Post # 301691
Post Re: Why is Mepis 11 slower than Mepis 8.5 - Low mem laptop
joany wrote:
Others are far more knowledgeable than I am about how different versions of kernels and KDE interact with various hardware configurations, but I'll throw in my two cents anyway.

I installed MEPIS 8.5 more than two years ago, and I bypassed MEPIS 11 because of a couple of problems with it that couldn't be fixed. I'm very happy with the speed, responsiveness, and stability of 8.5; nevertheless, its days are clearly numbered.

I'm finding that my software options are becoming increasingly limited by the Lenny repositories, and sooner or later Debian will terminate support for Lenny entirely. When Warren shuts down the MEPIS 8.5 repositories in the near future it won't even be possible to install 8.5 any longer. That's the way it is with Linux: Short development cycles, and the constant need to upgrade, upgrade, and upgrade.

I'm eagerly waiting for the arrival of MEPIS 12 so I can try switching over to it. I wouldn't use 8.5 for any new installation, except as short-term solution or stop gap.

Warren's Mepis 7.0 repo (based on Debian Etch) is still on his server and mirrors, so I'm not too worried about him shutting down the Mepis 8.0 and 8.5 repos "in the near future".


Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:21 pm
Profile
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 pm
Posts: 4548
Has thanked: 132 times
Have thanks: 931 times
Post # 301692
Post Re: Why is Mepis 11 slower than Mepis 8.5 - Low mem laptop
Fargo wrote:
What are some other suggestions? I beleive Mepis 8.5 is built on Debian 5. How long will Debian 5 be supported? Would it be reasonable to run Mepis 8.5 instead of Mepis 11?


What you need to do is bump the RAM, plain and simple. Quick, simple, cheap.

If that's not in the cards, then you might as well go back to M8.0. It's based on Lenny, same as M8.5; neither are supported, so you don't lose anything there. Going back to KDE3.5 will provide you with much better performance than any KDE4 version. The KDE3.5 apps available through Debian or MEPIS or the CRs will be dated, but it's not like there's anything wrong with them. I get the impression that the latest and greatest isn't required. And since there won't be any updates once you get it installed, you won't have to worry about an update breaking something.

I recently wiped my old 700MHz/512MB laptop and installed M8.0 on it after trying a few other options. It runs great.

Of course, the security zealots will tell you not to do this, but personally I'd be perfectly comfortable doing this for my own mother.

JMO. YMMV.

_________________
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Netbook: Fujitsu Lifebook Pentium M -- MX-14
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 AMD Dual -- SolydK 64


Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:37 pm
Profile
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm
Posts: 10955
Location: Rochester NY
Has thanked: 897 times
Have thanks: 1562 times
Post # 301694
Post Re: Why is Mepis 11 slower than Mepis 8.5 - Low mem laptop
uncle mark wrote:
Fargo wrote:
What are some other suggestions? I beleive Mepis 8.5 is built on Debian 5. How long will Debian 5 be supported? Would it be reasonable to run Mepis 8.5 instead of Mepis 11?


What you need to do is bump the RAM, plain and simple. Quick, simple, cheap.

If that's not in the cards, then you might as well go back to M8.0. It's based on Lenny, same as M8.5; neither are supported, so you don't lose anything there. Going back to KDE3.5 will provide you with much better performance than any KDE4 version. The KDE3.5 apps available through Debian or MEPIS or the CRs will be dated, but it's not like there's anything wrong with them. I get the impression that the latest and greatest isn't required. And since there won't be any updates once you get it installed, you won't have to worry about an update breaking something.

I recently wiped my old 700MHz/512MB laptop and installed M8.0 on it after trying a few other options. It runs great.

Of course, the security zealots will tell you not to do this, but personally I'd be perfectly comfortable doing this for my own mother.

JMO. YMMV.

Agree. With adequate memory M11 runs fine on my P4. 512M just is not enough. And 8.5 was very slow. Memory is cheap and worth the investment. Lacking that as he said m8.0 is the choice.

_________________
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help
Link to Wiki
Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
MX-14.3
Kubuntu 14.10, KDE 4.14.1
Virtualbox: Windows 7


Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:46 pm
Profile
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:59 pm
Posts: 2906
Has thanked: 423 times
Have thanks: 446 times
Post # 301695
Post Re: Why is Mepis 11 slower than Mepis 8.5 - Low mem laptop
Agree also.

I had M8.5 on a 512MB machine and it ran well enough that it wasn't necessary to back down to M8. Also, I don't really think the security "issue" is really an issue for most ordinary users.

_________________
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, Radeon HD6570
Gigabyte A55M-DS2, AMD A4-3400 dual-core APU (llano), 2.7 GHz, Radeon HD graphics
IBM ThinkPad T43, Intel Pentium M, 1.73GHz, Intel chipset


Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:53 pm
Profile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:44 pm
Posts: 659
Has thanked: 6 times
Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 301698
Post Re: Why is Mepis 11 slower than Mepis 8.5 - Low mem laptop
Thanks guys. I the processor is 2GHZ with 512MB RAM. I've been checking the livecds. I was previously unable to install Mepis 11 64bit. I assume it was due to lack of memory. I could feel it really dragging as I ran the livecd. Mepis 8.5Livecd feels much better. Oddly enough even Mepis11 32bit feels a little better. Yes it is a 64bit AMD processor.

I did consider using an older install but I was concerned about security updates. That is why I asked about the end of life for Debian5. I knew one of them was just retired, but I thought it was 2 generations ago (Debian 4) that was retired. I thought Debian maintained their releases for a longer period of time.

I guess if I want a current Debian base I need to run one of the lighter desktops or get more memory. I was hoping to prove to my in-laws the benefits of Linux over WinXP by showing them how it works better with less resources, so I prefer to not have them buy memory at this time. So I may just use the Solus install I have on it. I have found that I really like Gnome 2. Its too bad Gnome made such major changes for Gnome 3. Otherwise I could see myself switching. But I much prefer KDE4 to Gnome 3. Anyway, thanks for the input. I'll be happy to read more thoughts.


Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:57 pm
Profile
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:06 pm
Posts: 2952
Has thanked: 52 times
Have thanks: 376 times
Post # 301700
Post Re: Why is Mepis 11 slower than Mepis 8.5 - Low mem laptop
antix is always a choice as well


Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:19 pm
Profile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:44 pm
Posts: 659
Has thanked: 6 times
Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 301701
Post Re: Why is Mepis 11 slower than Mepis 8.5 - Low mem laptop
GoManutd wrote:
antix is always a choice as well


Yep, I seriously considered Antix, but I have become a firm believer in Debian stable. I don't like testing or any type of rolling release. Been there, done that. I've gone from wanting the latest and greatest with all they eye candy, to wanting the most intuitive and stable. No need for the eye candy, its just a distraction. My computer is a tool to get work done. It was a fun toy for awhile, but now I'm tired of playing and just want things to work.

Sorry, that wasn't meant to be a review of antix. I'm sure its very stable and fine for working. I just want something with less change and based on Debian Stable.


Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:38 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.