View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Numlock at start up 
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 280183
Post Re: Numlock at start up
As this problem has bugged me for a while I was wondering about the whole process. Perhaps now that Numlock ON can be demonstrated as solved for many but the Numlock indicator still does not show true state. Are there two processes at work, one for the key's action and another for it's indicator?

Using the Gkrellm program's 'LED' keyboard indicators it's possible to make the Numlock and it's indicator behave in various ways, even ideally, but the ideal .i.e light on Numlock on doesn't seem to survive a reboot. So it is possible to alter things to the 'right' way but why won't this stick?

Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:31 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 849 times
Post # 280195
My Natural Pro is the old PS/2 version. I would suspect a difference in motherboard chipsets. I have a 965G-based motherboard. It's almost as old as the keyboard.
I'll plug in my 'new model' Natural Pro Elite and see if it makes a difference. I only bought the new one so that I could clean the old one easily in my dishwasher. (Top rack, no soap, 3 days to dry.)

Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:02 pm
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Have thanks: 62 times
Post # 280197
You wash your keyboard in the dishwasher !!! :eek:

Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:29 pm
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Have thanks: 15 times
Post # 280218
To confirm:
My Microsoft Natural Pro indicates NumLock correctly without Numlockx. This has not always been the case and is not the case with all distros.
The current install is of Mepis.11. upgraded to KDE. 4.6.5. The numlock is on, led lit and working. Bios set to numlock on, system settings,keyboard,numlock set to on.

Will try a fresh 11.00 later to check that.

NS.

EDIT: Just booted to a clean Mepis.11. and it 'no worky' with the same settings.

Asus AM3(M4A79XTD)M/brd,Phenom IIx4 965 3.40 ghz Processor,Crucial 4 GB DDR3 1333mhz ram,Nvidia 9800GT (GV-N98TSL-1Gl),Dell Digital LCD 1600x1200, 3nr.Samsung SATA 200gb HD,1 Hitachi 750gb HD, Mepis 8.12 (32bit),Canteras KDE 4.3.4, Mepis 8.5 final 64bit,

Last edited by NoSavvy on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:19 am
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Post # 280219
lucky9 wrote:
My Natural Pro is the old PS/2 version. I would suspect a difference in motherboard chipsets. I have a 965G-based motherboard. It's almost as old as the keyboard.
I'll plug in my 'new model' Natural Pro Elite and see if it makes a difference. I only bought the new one so that I could clean the old one easily in my dishwasher. (Top rack, no soap, 3 days to dry.)

My M$ Comfort Curve 2000 instructions say that it's liquid-proof, and it needs a clean so... ma going to try that.
I know that it it won't affect the Numlock LED as that's on the separate wireless receiver.

Using various keyboards on this machine with "Windows" and other Linux flavours proves to me that the
Numlock function and it's indicator behavior can be good, but not unfortunately with Mepis 11.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:21 am
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 849 times
Post # 280263
I should mention that I had the keyboard on its side in the top rack.
I did this because I had read of it being done and my space bar was not 'spacing' reliably. I didn't trust it 100% so the backup keyboard was ordered. (couldn't find it locally)

Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:51 pm
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Have thanks: 62 times
Post # 280274
That's interesting NoSavvy...the numlock led was working when you were running KDE. 4.6.5 and quit working when you did a fresh Mepis install with KDE 4.5.3. Maybe it is a KDE issue?

janthree

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:40 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Post # 284586
Are there any update downloads that can fix this issue yet. I mean besides the manual fix indicated earlier. I was surprised to find this issue when I installed Mepis. I was always under the impression that Debian was so well tested. I was surprised to see something like this in a Debian based distro. Its these little things that I keep finding in Linux distros that always bother me.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:34 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Post # 284596
Fargo wrote:
Are there any update downloads that can fix this issue yet. I mean besides the manual fix indicated earlier. I was surprised to find this issue when I installed Mepis. I was always under the impression that Debian was so well tested. I was surprised to see something like this in a Debian based distro. Its these little things that I keep finding in Linux distros that always bother me.

I haven't seen any update or download personally but at least my numlock now works as follows after boot up;
Numlock is off and LED is off.

At least that way I can switch Numlock on manually and have the indicator LED show that it is on. Just like it was back in the 1980's! My BIOS has no setting for Numlock also like way back when...

I agree about Debian and likewise about other distros, Linux can be frustrating in infinitely different ways. ;) I really doubt that it will ever be any other way.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:39 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 733 times
Post # 284599
Looking through this post the common denominator is a MS keyboard, so I take it you have set your system to use a MS keyboard in System Settings, the settings are there for a very good reason, which has nothing to do with Debian or any other OS.

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next