Numlock at start up

janthree
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Numlock at start up

#21 Postby janthree » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:37 pm

Hey Danum,

Never did get this problem solved with my MS Natural Elite keyboard. I have selected that model in system settings and tried both the Leave NumLock Unchanged and Turn NumLock On. In both cases, the NumLock light comes on when the GRUB screen comes up and then goes out between the GRUB screen and the Mepis Underwater splash screen...something is cutting it off, I just don't know what or why.

janthree

Zevon
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#22 Postby Zevon » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:42 pm

Danum wrote:Looking through this post the common denominator is a MS keyboard,
It seems to be that way but maybe someone will popup with another take.

Edit: "zeeone" mentions other than M$ branded in his post.

Danum wrote:so I take it you have set your system to use a MS keyboard in System Settings, the settings are there for a very good reason, which has nothing to do with Debian or any other OS.
That assumption is correct for me and FWIW I've always chosen to use a keyboard that's actually listed in the hope of avoiding problems. I'm not certain personally that it's confined to M$ keyboards as my Ortek and Cherry keyboards behave in a similar way.

Incidentally and as I feel confident some people will know, a person only needs to "take a peek under the hood" so to speak and discover that there are errors galore in what appears otherwise to be a 'functioning well' M-11, akonadi for instance springs to mind as an obvious example. It's probably also true for other distro's. They all have errors but function.

I can't be sure that the keyboard and it's interactions are error-free operations and have simply reverted to manual operation of NumLock for the time being.

Tovian
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#23 Postby Tovian » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:27 am

lucky9 wrote:I only bought the new one so that I could clean the old one easily in my dishwasher. (Top rack, no soap, 3 days to dry.)

Same process for your old "baseball" caps - but you should use regular dishwasher soap with them. Then the cap(s) should be hung up outside/garage to dry. They WILL drip for a while so don't hang them over something that cannot get wet.

(Do not ever use dishwashing liquid or laundry liquid/powder in the dishwasher unless you want to fill your kitchen with foam).
"Life is short....
Drink the Good Wine first"

Zevon
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#24 Postby Zevon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:44 pm

Just to report Numlock success of a kind..

The system boots through and at various times the LED indicators for Caps and Numlock light but finally come to rest with both LED's out. Then when Numlock key is depressed the Numlock LED lights and Numlock is indeed ON at that point. A solution in one respect. :happy:

UPDATE: Changed nothing that's apparently immediately relevant but now the system reaches the desktop with LED unlit but the number pad produces .... numbers. Hopefully M-v12 might fix this. ;)
Last edited by Zevon on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

cowb0y
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#25 Postby cowb0y » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:45 pm

Just to mention that I'm having this problem since switching to Mepis 11 from Kubuntu. I've been using this keyboard (Logitech Ultraflat Y-SX49) for 7 years (!) and never had this problem under any version of KDE.

Return to “General”