Help wont boot- vboxdrv: Warning 2.6.31 kernal NMIs 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 295652
Post Re: Help wont boot- vboxdrv: Warning 2.6.31 kernal NMIs
uncle mark wrote:
Fargo wrote:
Does anyone have recomendations as to where to buy a low cost PC? I've built them in the past, but this time I'm thinking of getting prebuilt with my chosen components if I can find someone that sounds reliable.

Personally, I would never buy a prebuilt, but that's just me. I've been building for years, and not only do you get exactly what you want, there's a measure of satisfaction involved.

You could also have a local builder do it to your specs. You'll pay more, but again, you'll get exactly what you want, no more no less.

Hell, spec it out, send me the parts, and I'll throw it together for you. It's not like it's difficult or technical or anything.

Yeah, I've built one in the past and I'm not scared of it. But I've also seen places that will build them to your specs with prices that are compettive with newegg. So I figure if someone can build it for $10-$20 over what the parts cost me at newegg, I'd let them assemble it for me so I don;t have to deal with sending back any DOA motherboards or anything. As far as choosing my own components I just want a low cost system. The biggest thing is the motherboard. I like MSI and Gigabyte, and I've thought about trying Asus motherboard. Apart from there, I don't care what the other components are. So I'd buy a prebuilt system built with one of those motherboards. My preference is MSI.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:41 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 903 times
Post # 295664
Depending on where you are you can probably find a local shop that will build to suit. I don't think you're talking about a Dell or an HP computer here.
That way you can spec what you want in the system totally. Plus you have them dealing with any parts that are DOA. Spec a decent power supply not some $19.99 special offer.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:27 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 295739
lucky9 wrote:
Depending on where you are you can probably find a local shop that will build to suit. I don't think you're talking about a Dell or an HP computer here.
That way you can spec what you want in the system totally. Plus you have them dealing with any parts that are DOA. Spec a decent power supply not some $19.99 special offer.

Yep, not a Dell or mass produced. Just someone to assemble my components of choice. There used to be a lot of online places like this but they are pretty few now. I have used 3BTech in the past and was happy with them. But their Mboard selection is quite limited. I've also seen some decent entry level stuff at Directron, but I know nothing about them. So I am thinking more and more about just doing it myself. I could have it all together in a Saturday afternoon.

Good call on the power supply! I think most of my computer problems have been caused by power supplies going out.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:23 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 931 times
Post # 295742
Fargo wrote:
So I am thinking more and more about just doing it myself. I could have it all together in a Saturday afternoon.

Depending on how anal I am about making everything look pretty inside and double checking and triple checking all the front panel wiring, I can normally be hitting the switch for the first time in one hour, two hours tops from starting assembly. Then another fifteen minutes or so to run through all the BIOS screens.

I still get a bit of a charge every time I hit the power switch on a new build for the first time and get a good post beep.

Quote:
Good call on the power supply! I think most of my computer problems have been caused by power supplies going out.

By far the single most common hardware failure I see in my little computer repair sideline. And the bad thing about PSU failures is that they can take other stuff with them. I learned that the hard way myself.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:48 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 903 times
Post # 295753
A good, stable PSU is an investment that will pay for itself in the long run. In components that don't need replacing for instance. Can even save a little on the electric bill.
I expect my current power supply to live longer than I do. If (or when I hope) I upgrade to current technology with a new motherboard etc. I'll not have to get a PSU. Or a case for that matter.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4