A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Shotwell has less features in Mepis? 
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 3 times
Post # 298500
Post Shotwell has less features in Mepis?
Hello all, I have in the recent past used Shotwell for downloading photos as it has the feature of being able to change and save the image with a lower case extention
jpeg rather than JPEG
Having installed Shotwell today in Mepis I find the tick box for this function is missing as are the plugins.
Is this because it is gnome based and requres a gnome desktop to have all it's marbles so to speak or is it just a version in the repos without this feature in.
Also does anyone know of another photo manager/downloader that has this feature i.e. to be able to save as a jpeg not JPEG.
If so I would be glad to hear about it as I upload a fair few photos onto the internet each week and the bulk uploaders on sites like photobucket and ebay cant find files with an upper case extention
Regards Ralph

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:03 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 67 times
Post # 298501
Post Re: Shotwell has less features in Mepis?
I'm not sure what a photo downloader is. With any browser you can rename individual files as you download them, albeit one at a time. If you download a lot at a time, then something like Krename can rename files in batch. Otherwise I use Showfoto/Digikam and I believe there is a file conversion utility in their somewhere. Just not a feature I use often enough to know exactly.

Edit: I took a look at the Shotwell website, and Digikam/Showfoto will do everything that Shotwell does.

Last edited by fbt on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:08 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 340 times
Post # 298503
ImageMagick Mogrify Command-line Tool works very well for renaming a large number of images, also for resizing, optimizing, etc.
http://www.imagemagick.org/www/mogrify.html

Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:28 pm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 3 times
Post # 298611
Thanks for the replies.
I would still like to know where the tick box to change the file extension to lower case has gone to but I have found that. file manager (right under my nose) can batch change the file extensions to lower case and re-number them at the same time with its rename facility
Select all and rename, job done. Marvelous
Also found out since that shotwell has the added features with distros heavy with gnome packages or using gnome desktop

Last edited by Ralf1e on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:46 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 892 times
Post # 298614
Per the lack of features, you need to check the 'Consider recommended packages as dependencies' choice on the first tab of Preferences in Synaptic. You either need to do this each time you open Synaptic or change the config file. The config file will make the change permanent.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]