CMOS TIME CHANGES

clipster
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

CMOS TIME CHANGES

#1 Postby clipster » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:14 pm

My machine is setup with multiple Windows and Linux OS's in removable drive trays. The problem is: when I remove Mepis 11 and put in another drive, the system clock changes, and I have to go into the bios and manually correct it, so the other os will boot with the correct time.
I cannot find any topics on this subject at this time. A solution would be appreciated. I have been a Linux user for many years, but am new to Mepis 11.
Thanks,
Cliff

arjaybe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: CMOS TIME CHANGES

#2 Postby arjaybe » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:32 pm

Is the difference similar to the difference between your time zone and GMT? One of the systems might be running on universal time while the other is on local time.
Intel Celeron 1007U with integrated HD Graphics 2500, 4GB RAM

The question is half the size of the universe, and the answer takes up the other half.

Green Comet

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Postby uncle mark » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:36 pm

clipster wrote:My machine is setup with multiple Windows and Linux OS's in removable drive trays. The problem is: when I remove Mepis 11 and put in another drive, the system clock changes, and I have to go into the bios and manually correct it, so the other os will boot with the correct time.
I cannot find any topics on this subject at this time. A solution would be appreciated. I have been a Linux user for many years, but am new to Mepis 11.
Thanks,
Cliff

Windows assumes your bios is set to local time. Make sure that is the case. Then tell your Linux installs that the system is set to local time and not GMT and you should be good.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

clipster
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Postby clipster » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:41 pm

I think it may be set to GMT, but I cannot find a way to change it to local time in Mepis.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Postby kmathern » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:05 pm

clipster wrote:I think it may be set to GMT, but I cannot find a way to change it to local time in Mepis.

There's a line in the /etc/default/rcS file where you can change it to use local time
# assume that the BIOS clock is set to UTC time (recommended)
UTC=no

clipster
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#6 Postby clipster » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:20 pm

Thank you kmathern. I did an edit on the rcS file, changed the "yes" to "no", and it works great. Easy fix if you know what you're doing.
Thanks again,
Cliff

Return to “Hardware / Configuration”