Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 910 times
Post # 298766
Post Re: Whoa there, Trigger!
Utopia wrote:
Quote:
Time to crank up the artwork

That's easy to do. Submit wallpapers to the art gallery.
http://www.mepiscommunity.org/artwork
Henry

I'm using the Endeavor 2 wallpaper currently. Call me old fashioned, but I like plain, simple, and elegant.

Wish I could contribute, but it's far above my pay grade.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:52 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 78 times
Post # 298767
Always good to hear news of new development from Warren, busy as he is as always!

Whether we will see a pre-Wheezy release of Mepis 12 before Debian release it or not, we will have to see. Wheezy is estimated to be released late summer, so there is plenty of time, but even by then many of the more actively developed apps like Icewesel/Chromium etc. will be well out of date. My main interest is what kernel version Warren will roll, and how many packages he will include, usually it's KDE, Gimp a media player VLC no doubt etc. in his repo. It would certainly be a good idea to find out what the Mepis user base wants to see with regards to backport versions. KDE would be top of list I'd guess - what else?

::AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE 3.1GHz::Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H::Crucial 2gig DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10600::Hitachi DeskStar 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache::
::O² Joggler::

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 298776
Just the thread I've been looking for. I've been using Roadblock but was wondering when an official release will come. Sounds like its going to be quite a different release.

Might LinuxMint be worth looking at for some inspirations? Due to differences in political points of view, I haven't looked at LinuxMint in some time, but its a good distro. Have they put forth any features that might be good to integrate into Mepis 12? I suspect Warren isn't interested in what they are doing, but I know at one time Jamie 'Boo' commented on this forum that anything he did over there he would be happy to help integrate into Mepis. Since Mepis and Mint Debian Edition both would be based on 'Debian testing' it might be worth a look at Mint to see if the 'software center' or any other features would be useful to Mepis. Just a thought.

I might try to upload some wallpapers as well if interested. I have some nice photos I have taken over the years. I also have a nice logo idea that I scribbled out on a piece of paper. If I can figure out some graphics program I may give that a shot as well if their is any interest in refreshed logo.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:00 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 690 times
Post # 298777
Quote:
if their is any interest in refreshed logo

The big problem with changing logo is that Warren is using the old one on his business site. You have to convince him it needs updating. It's also used throughout the forum, manual, wiki and community site.
Don't let this stop you from working on it. New ideas are always needed.
Henry

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:11 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 887 times
Post # 298784
I'm surprised he's talking about a Testing-based release. He always has a late kernel since that's the heart of the OS and is needed for the newer hardware. But Testing has issues. That's the reason it's call Testing.
As for KDE he'll use something that's stable I'm sure. That depends on what kind of feedback the people who use non-Stable releases have given I'd think.
I have a partition for testing stuff, but I'll always be running a Stable-based release here as my main OS.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:45 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 632 times
Post # 298785
antiX is based on Testing and I haven't heard of many problems because of that...

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:49 pm Profile
Administrator

Have thanks: 1431 times
Post # 298786
Adrian wrote:
antiX is based on Testing and I haven't heard of many problems because of that...

I think some are getting concerned without reason. If Warren decides to use wheezy and is satisfied with the result, I have no concerns.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:54 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 298787
lucky9 wrote:
I'm surprised he's talking about a Testing-based release. He always has a late kernel since that's the heart of the OS and is needed for the newer hardware. But Testing has issues. That's the reason it's call Testing.

Yeah, but when Warren gets done with it, I suspect it'll be a stable as it can get.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:46 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 298788
richb wrote:
I think some are getting concerned without reason. If Warren decides to use wheezy and is satisfied with the result, I have no concerns.

Agreed. Anything coming out of the MEPIS pools should be solid. The only thing that might be a concern is something coming in directly from Debian that isn't up to snuff. But frankly, I wouldn't be too concerned. IIUC, this late in the game Testing is pretty much frozen and all the changes being made are bug fixes and security updates. BICBW.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:51 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 733 times
Post # 298789
Debian Project will aim for a time-based freeze for the next stable release, Wheezy. At the moment that date is June 2012:
And given the recent history of Debian releases, that means aiming for a February 2013 release

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Danum thanked by: Jerry3904
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next