View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Warren Tweeted... 
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 143 times
Post # 319738
Post Warren Tweeted...
'Finally settled down enough to do some work on M12. Uploading a 3.9.8 kernel right now.'

Maybe more testing at the weekend?

Chris

Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:29 am Profile
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Have thanks: 6 times
Post # 319741
Post Re: Warren Tweeted...
I hope he goes ultimately goes with a 3.10 Kernel, which just went final, as it fixes an issue with my laptop...

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:24 am
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1526 times
Post # 319743
He may well, but this is what he will use for the next beta. He emailed me that he will turn to some community suggestions in a few days (probably means over the 4th holiday), so I am hoping to see a b2 in a week to 10 days.

32bit, 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae, MX-14, AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core, Dell SP2309W with integrated webcam, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE, 4 GB DDR2

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:39 am

Jerry3904 thanked by: GuiGuy, topcat, Utopia
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 83 times
Post # 319747
Glad to hear that progress on M12 is imminent.

I would like to add a request for an additional facility on the DVD, to restore the MSWindows MBR.
This is for people who have installed Mepis for dualbooting, then deleted or corrupted the Mepis partition so that their machine has become unbootable.
I don't know how easy this would be, but it would be a lifesaver for some people, and possibly prevent some of the "Linux broke my computer" stories.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:51 am
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 752 times
Post # 319749
Currently you can do this using TestDisk. You run it from a Konsole/Terminal. It's been on every Final version of Mepis that I'm aware of.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:58 am

lucky9 thanked by: GuiGuy
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 265 times
Post # 319752
rschaffter wrote:
I hope he goes ultimately goes with a 3.10 Kernel, which just went final, as it fixes an issue with my laptop...

+1

The latest 3.10 kernel has lots of new features (for example, a refinement of the algorithms allowing use of an SSD for both read and write cache along with another drive). That's very similar to what Apple is doing with their "Fusion Drive" setup, and much better than what Intel is doing with their SRT (Storage Response Technology), since the Intel Solution is read only cache, and the Apple Fusion Solution handles both read and write cache (as does the Linux Kernel 3.10 if you want to use an SSD for cache purposes with a physical drive). Linux 3.9 had some features implementing use of an SSD for cache. But, 3.10 refines it so that it's a block level cache now from what I gather from reading about it. So, it would be nice to see those types of features implemented in Mepis.

I'm also seeing some other interesting features in 3.10 (faster http access, etc.) that could come in useful to increase performance for typical users; and of course, the newer the kernel, the better support for newer hardware (for example, enhancements for AMD video card drivers would be nice to have in Mepis).

The H Online has an article about the new features in 3.10 here:

http://www.h-online.com/open/features/W ... 02270.html

So, it would be nice to see Mepis include a 3.10 kernel with those types of features available.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:12 am
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 83 times
Post # 319753
lucky9 wrote:
Currently you can do this using TestDisk. You run it from a Konsole/Terminal. It's been on every Final version of Mepis that I'm aware of.

Thanks, lucky, I was not aware of that.
Does it work?
As it is, the "Linux broke my computer" brigade would never find it, let alone use it successfully from a root console.
Assuming that it does work, I think it needs to be made more accessible.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:40 am
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Have thanks: 6 times
Post # 319756
GuiGuy wrote:
lucky9 wrote:

Thanks, lucky, I was not aware of that.
Does it work?
As it is, the "Linux broke my computer" brigade would never find it, let alone use it successfully from a root console.
Assuming that it does work, I think it needs to be made more accessible.

I never knew that either. I always used FIXMBR in the Windows Recovery Console on the Windows CD...

As far as Kernels go, I'm using the 3.5 Kernel which does work for me, so hopefully it stays in the repo for a while...

Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:22 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 752 times
Post # 319760
In TestDisk it's labeled 'MBR code: Write MBR code to first sector' and it needs to be run on an unmounted partition. Best practice is from the Mepis LiveDisk or PartedMagic or similar bootable LiveDisk.

I'm pretty sure it used to be labeled MSDOS boot code. Or at least something slightly less cryptic. However it will repair an MBR from the Mepis LiveDVD.
I prefer one of the tools such as PartedMagic as it is labeled to be more easily understood. But there are many tools for repairing the MBR to an MSDOS state.
Just to repair an MBR to boot Linux is very easily done by Mepis and it's System Assistant (in Mepis 11). In the beta you'll need to use the update-grub command.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:07 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 374 times
Post # 319766
The reason Windows breaks is not because of a Linux install, but because of the users inability to properly prepare and/or maintain their system PRIOR to attempting any partition modification.

The NTFS file system is very poorly designed and requires lots of ongoing maintenance, which to my mind makes it pathetically weak and unstable. If you run windows, you NEED to maintain your computer weekly, not monthly, quarterly or less. The maintenance needs to include regular disk checks with the reapir option forced each time, and for Windows 8 users, the option to force the fix and repair option is paramount because it is just as unstable as Vista and by default, it does not fix!. Windows 7 needs a forced checkdisk at least once a month in addition to proper cleaning and defragmenting, those that neglect this step are the ones who experience the failures.

Sorry for the digression, but the facts are the facts. Proprietary and professional Windows partitioning tools will also fail and cause breakages under the same circumstances.

Now if there could be any improvement in the Mepis installer that checks for the conditions above, or at least very clearly warns of them, then the breakages would be far less and there would be little to no reason to hear the all too common complaint, "Linux broke my windows". No the user broke it by their inaction, followed by their action on a dodgy and ill-prepared file system. Maybe this could be raised with Warren so as to enable him to add an additional disclaimer to the installer, not for the purposes of creating annoyance, but so the user is absolutely clear that they need to properly prep their Windows system before making any changes.

I would be happy to write the draft of such detailing the necessary steps and have a wordsmith like Jerry tidy it up.

Regd Linux User #472293
(1)Lenovo e520, i7-2640M, 8GB, 750GB Seagate Hybrid, MX-14.1_DVD (my own respin)
(2) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, Radeon HD 4250, 4Gb, 1.5TB, antiX-13-64

Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:25 pm

m_pav thanked by: Jerry3904, Utopia
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next