Automatic naming of streaming audio files with streamripper

Here is where users who have been using MEPIS awhile and know the basics of linux and MEPIS can ask questions.
janthree
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Automatic naming of streaming audio files with streamripper

#1 Postby janthree » Mon May 14, 2012 2:56 am

I just had an interesting surprise while recording streaming audio. I normally use VLC and cron to automatically record online radio (WETS), but I have been experimenting with streamripper...

streamripper http://www.wets.org/sites/default/files/wetsfm.m3u -d /home/user1/Desktop/ -l 10800 > /dev/null 2>&1

...to record two hours of NPR (Cartalk and Wait, Wait) which are scheduled consecutively. Since I haven't specified a name, the output is usually just a single dash mp3 (-.mp3) that contained both shows. But this weekend when I checked my recorded mp3, I found two separate files, one for each show with titles...

- CAR TALK FROM NPR WITH TOM & RAY on WETS FM-HD1.mp3

- WAIT WAIT...DON'T TELL ME FROM NPR WITH PETER SAGAL on WETS FM-HD1.mp3

It appears that streamripper automatically parsed each show into a separate file and named each file with the title of the show.
I am not sure if I updated streamripper recently or if WETS has updated their audio stream, but this is really neat. I don't have to parse or name my mp3 files, streamripper is doing it automatically.

janthree

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Automatic naming of streaming audio files with streamrip

#2 Postby Jerry3904 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:02 am

Pretty handy--and those are two great programs.
Production: 4.2.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, MX-15 RC1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 3.16-0-4-686-pae. MX-15, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Return to “Regulars”