View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Question re: Lenny repos 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 872 times
Post # 293346
Post Question re: Lenny repos
I've cobbled together what should be an adequately performing desktop that I might just offer up to the gal that got taken on the laptop that I've posted about recently. Owing to the specs on the machine and my opinion that KDE3 is more "XP like" than KDE4, I've started an install of M8 and will see how that goes.

My question is regarding your recommendations regarding setting up the repos. I believe Lenny is now considered 'old-stable'; should I edit the sources to use that term, or will 'lenny' suffice? Additionally, is there an advantage to adding 'lenny-backports'? And yes, I'd be enabling the M8 CR main and getting everything as close to current as possible.

Just want to head off any future problems with updates and installations. If/when they take this thing they will be on their own. I don't do tutoring or phone support.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:38 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 2201 times
Post # 293348
Post Re: Question re: Lenny repos
uncle mark wrote:
I've cobbled together what should be an adequately performing desktop that I might just offer up to the gal that got taken on the laptop that I've posted about recently. Owing to the specs on the machine and my opinion that KDE3 is more "XP like" than KDE4, I've started an install of M8 and will see how that goes.

My question is regarding your recommendations regarding setting up the repos. I believe Lenny is now considered 'old-stable'; should I edit the sources to use that term, or will 'lenny' suffice? Additionally, is there an advantage to adding 'lenny-backports'? And yes, I'd be enabling the M8 CR main and getting everything as close to current as possible.

Just want to head off any future problems with updates and installations. If/when they take this thing they will be on their own. I don't do tutoring or phone support.

I would keep them at "lenny" and "lenny-backports".

Sometime in the next few months both "lenny" and "oldstable" are going to disappear from the Debian repos. The "oldstable" repo will reappear when Wheezy is released as "stable" and squeeze becomes "oldstable", that's a ways off in the future though.

When Lenny is removed from the Debian repos it will be moved to archive.debian.org and the url for the Lenny repos will need to be changed as described here: http://archive.debian.org/debian/README. That will probably be sometime in May or June. Maybe add a sources.list entry with the archive.debian.org url, but have it disabled for now.

Last edited by kmathern on Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:55 pm

kmathern thanked by: DBeckett
Administrator

Have thanks: 1410 times
Post # 293350
In addition my understanding is that lenny will not be updated with security updates. I think the it is safe and advisable to add lenny-backports, if for nothing else than security updates. If it is any benchmark, the squeeze-backports repo has been trouble free for me.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:01 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 139 times
Post # 293363
uncle mark, have also set up Linux on quite a few older machines for folks like the client you are describing and in my experience I no longer will leave the repos enabled at all as you will get that phone call if you do. When they know nothing about Linux and have no desire to learn it in most cases updates will only cause them and you trouble. Fortunatly though once set up as you are happy with they really don't need to update since the OS remains for the most part stable. I would instead encourage her to buy and install a good router if she doesn't already have one and if any updating is allowed it would be for the browser only. Good luck with whatever you decide. :crossfingers: Jerry

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:27 pm
Administrator

Post # 293365
JBoman wrote:
uncle mark, have also set up Linux on quite a few older machines for folks like the client you are describing and in my experience I no longer will leave the repos enabled at all as you will get that phone call if you do. When they know nothing about Linux and have no desire to learn it in most cases updates will only cause them and you trouble. Fortunatly though once set up as you are happy with they really don't need to update since the OS remains for the most part stable. I would instead encourage her to buy and install a good router if she doesn't already have one and if any updating is allowed it would be for the browser only. Good luck with whatever you decide. :crossfingers: Jerry

Even with a very stable unchanging repo, in the case of Lenny?

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:41 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 859 times
Post # 293367
I'm with JBoman on this. Enabling repositories wouldn't be something I'd do. I made that mistake once. Though I can tell you that I ran into support issues in a big way with Yahoo! changing something on their games that broke the ability to play them without major fiddling being required.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:06 pm
Administrator

Post # 293368
Not very good testimony for a stable Linux. And nothing will prevent someone from going to a site and downloading a Linux deb to install. Are you proposing disabling any package manager that will install a deb? To be consistent you would have to be.

Rich

Mx-14 Symbiosis

Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:25 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 293373
Install a what ??? will be the first phone call... he he he. :spinning: Jerry
*** and I have to disagree about stability as I think it is more a testimony of the stability of the OS not requiring continuos updates to run basic tasks.

Last edited by JBoman on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:40 pm
Administrator

Post # 293374
JBoman wrote:

I guess a phone call is inevitable then. :eek:

Rich

Mx-14 Symbiosis

Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:44 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 293376
richb wrote:
JBoman wrote:

I guess a phone call is inevitable then. :eek: