View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
I'm In Need of a Null Directory 
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 376 times
Post # 298360
Post Re: I'm In Need of a Null Directory
typically payoffs for ram disks are used for real read intensive applications like databases, where data is being retrieved more than written. if that type of setting you can see tremendous payoffs.

it'll be interesting to see if this ram disk use improves performance over time. i just wonder, since their image files, if your browser's caching system is somehow defeating the use of a ram disk...

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:08 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 444 times
Post # 298376
I won't pretend to know what I'm talking about, but I think the .thumbnails mechanism is separate from the browser's cache.

I just set up a .thumbnails folder again as a ramdisk. It's really easy and takes only a minute. After playing with it for a while and comparing it to dolphin's normal behavior using the hard disk, I perceive only a little speed difference in the appearance of thumbnails on the screen. I suspect that generating the thumbnails on the screen is far more CPU-intensive than actually reading them from the cache, whether from disk or from RAM. In this particular application there is little, if anything, to be gained speedwise.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:19 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 376 times
Post # 298380
i guess it comes down to the underlying use of the .thumbnails. some apps generate them so they don't have to dynamically recreate them each time an image is viewed. so if you use image applications a lot that do this, then killing this directory will only create delays...

if you have an app that reads, but doesn't write to the .thumbnails then you'll probably see a performance increase.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:49 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 298388
On my main system (M11) the .thumbnails currently amount to around 1500 files for a cost of 57MB. That doesn't seem to be anything to be concerned about, especially if various apps use them for faster display?

Of more concern is a tendency lately for Dolphin not to update the 'pwd' when files are added/removed/renamed.

Is this connected with the .thumbnails quantity perhaps? If so I feel a cronjob coming on... :)

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:48 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 733 times
Post # 298389
Zevon wrote:
Of more concern is a tendency lately for Dolphin not to update the 'pwd' when files are added/removed/renamed.
Is this connected with the .thumbnails quantity perhaps? If so I feel a cronjob coming on... :)

It is most likely Dolphin not auto-refreshing, Press F5 to refresh,

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:14 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 298430
Danum wrote:
It is most likely Dolphin not auto-refreshing, Press F5 to refresh,

Ah the old digital refresh method. :-)

More seriously though, can anything be tuned to get the auto-refresh happening in a more timely fashion?

Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3