Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
My Year With Linux 
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 83 times
Post # 301371
Post Re: My Year With Linux
malspa wrote:
SolusOS -- does sound pretty nice, for folks who want that GNOME 2 experience. Glad to see a few more distros out there besides Mepis that are based on Debian Stable, at least to some degree. Another nice one, at least here, Saline OS, for those who prefer Xfce.

I've been impressed with SolusOS, especially as it appears ikey is going to keep the desktop experience consistent moving into Gnome 3 with SolusOS 2.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:01 am
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 630 times
Post # 301374
KBD wrote:
I've been impressed with SolusOS, especially as it appears ikey is going to keep the desktop experience consistent moving into Gnome 3 with SolusOS 2.

Does SolusOS have a Gnome desktop? The reason I ask that question is because the screen shots on the SolusOS site look a little KDE-ish, but I couldn't tell what desktop it was. Also, what is the status of the development of Gnome? I've read all sorts of things about classic Gnome being replaced by something else, and people not being terribly happy with the direction it's taking.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:32 am
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Post # 301376
joany wrote:
Does SolusOS have a Gnome desktop? The reason I ask that question is because the screen shots on the SolusOS site look a little KDE-ish, but I couldn't tell what desktop it was. Also, what is the status of the development of Gnome? I've read all sorts of things about classic Gnome being replaced by something else, and people not being terribly happy with the direction it's taking.

Not a lot of people are happy with gnome 3. SolusOS 1 uses gnome 2, but SolusOS 2 will use a heavily tweaked gnome 3. I've tried the SolusOS 2 Alpha and am impressed at how you can hardly tell the difference between the gnomes of the two different versions of SolusOS.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:45 am
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Have thanks: 13 times
Post # 301390
Sounds good! I for one would think it's great if we are going to see some interaction/synergy between SolusOS and MEPIS, as they both are based on Debian Stable and both seem to have similar goals: create a stable Linux system that "just works". The major difference as far as I can see is that SolusOS focuses on GNOME and MEPIS on KDE.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:55 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Post # 301391
Arjen wrote:
Sounds good! I for one would think it's great if we are going to see some interaction/synergy between SolusOS and MEPIS, as they both are based on Debian Stable and both seem to have similar goals: create a stable Linux system that "just works". The major difference as far as I can see is that SolusOS focuses on GNOME and MEPIS on KDE.

That sounds like a good idea to me :-) I'm sure there are more than a couple of us who like and follow both distros.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:58 pm
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Have thanks: 25 times
Post # 301417
Arjen wrote:

I agree, you could almost say they were cousins :)
I openly said on these forums quite some time ago when involved with other projects that I'd be happy to contribute towards
MEPIS and help out where possible. http://www.mepiscommunity.org/forum/vie ... 8&p=264677

My offer still applies, but in the context of SolusOS.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:43 am

ikey thanked by: Arjen
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Have thanks: 13 times
Post # 301425
Thanks Ikey! I see SolusOS is focussing on GNOME and you are even developing your own modifications for GNOME 3. Is the philosophy of SolusOS to focus on GNOME as a desktop only? Would it be an idea to offer more desktop options such as KDE (which is what most people here prefer), or at least have a more "desktop agnostic" approach, so any tools can be used across different desktop environments? Of course you would need the time/resources/people to do it. Maybe some on this forum would be willing to help. I'm a software developer but unfortunately have little experience with Debian packaging and Linux programming. However who knows I can make a contribution somewhere.

PS: hopefully we're not getting too far off topic here...

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:47 am
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Post # 301426
At the moment we're focused on GNOME. Got no issues creating desktop agnostic tools, i.e. the FRW.
If we had a KDE guy I'd be happy with them doing a KDE edition :)
</offtopic>

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:01 am
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1765 times
Post # 301427
Quote:
I openly said on these forums quite some time ago when involved with other projects that I'd be happy to contribute towards MEPIS and help out where possible.
What kind of contribution would you be interested in?

32bit, 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae, MX-14, AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core, Dell SP2309W with integrated webcam, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE, 4 GB DDR2

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:28 am
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Post # 301433
If we've got anything MEPIS needs I'm happy to make it generic enough to be re-used
in MEPIS :) i.e. when our FirstRunWizard is rewritten it could be of use. Who knows.
:)

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:48 pm

ikey thanked by: Jerry3904, lucky9, Utopia
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next