View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
MEPIS 11 Community Repo: The Firefox Thread 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 1992 times
Post # 285541
Post Re: MEPIS 11 Community Repo: The Firefox Thread
7.0.1 seems to be working really well, at least for me and the others that have installed it, so I'd go for it. Go to Settings--Preferences in Synaptic and set the preferred distro to "mepis" to have the CR versions show up as upgrades.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:33 pm

Stevo thanked by: Zevon
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 285542
m_pav wrote:
I

I discovered some additional updates that appeared to be related to mozilla type packages, like xulrunner and libmozjs4d (and libqtwebkit4, though not too convinced it is related), then cleared all my caches as I did at the first, then re-tested and the same page that took 24 seconds to load was fully loaded in 6 seconds using FF 7.01 but it took Chrome 8s for the same page, so I had to check out where the discrepancy was. FF was not displaying a flash element, so I installed Adblock for Chrome and retested, both are now 6 seconds.

From this experience, I would say there maybe should be a couple of additional deps added in, or at the very least, have them marked as suggested packages for the latest upgrade to assist those who have just decided to give the CR test repo a try.

Mike P

The first two are actually parts of the iceweasel 7.0.1 package we also have in the CR. Debian splits out the xulrunner engine and the Javascript engine into separate packages, but the Ubuntu version I use as a base for Firefox builds the same engines but keeps everything all in one deb.

Firefox/Thunderbird does have a config choice to use the external xulrunner 7.0.1 engine if built against the libxulrunner-dev headers, which would cut compile time from about an hour to a few minutes, since building the xulrunner libraries takes almost all the build time. Maybe I'll hack around with it to see if I can get it to work, but usually the Ubuntu PPA packages are available to rebuild sooner the the iceweasel sources for libxulrunner.

Libqtwebkit4 is not related to the Mozilla packages, it's sort of a browser engine that is built into QT4. That update was for a newer QT designer, I think.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:48 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 20 times
Post # 285588
Stevo wrote:
bump: 7.0.1 now in the main testing repo.

That's 'firefox-gnome-support' in Synaptic, correct?

Thanks!

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:32 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 20 times
Post # 285589
carlnyc wrote:
Stevo wrote:

Thanks!

And it's accessed with the icon commands: usr/bin/firefox (and usr/bin/thunderbird)?

Thanks again!

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:59 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 285597
Stevo wrote:
7.0.1 seems to be working really well, at least for me and the others that have installed it, so I'd go for it. Go to Settings--Preferences in Synaptic and set the preferred distro to "mepis" to have the CR versions show up as upgrades.

So far so good, and thanks again for your work for us all! Harking back a little to my previous enquiry... I have installed Firefox 7.0.1 but wonder if I should have actually installed Iceweasel 7.0.1 instead?

Even though synaptic showed Firefox 4 as installed, the browser itself indicated that it was Iceweasel 4. I didn't really expect the same behavior from a community install so just installed Firefox 7.0.1, now some things are not working, in particular my "Secure Login" add-on. All the information is there username/password wise but the automation has vanished and only manual logins are possible. Is this in any way connected to some of the files that synaptic removed I wonder? "xulrunner" & "mozjs4d" I think they were...

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:22 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 285600
carlnyc wrote:
Stevo wrote:

Thanks!

Actually, just the firefox-7.0.1+build1+nobin....(removing a lot of versioning info) package is what you need.

The firefox-gnome-support package provides some extra stuff to help out if you are running the GNOME desktop, so we don't need it for KDE.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Stevo thanked by: carlnyc
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 285601
Zevon wrote:
Stevo wrote:

So far so good, and thanks again for your work for us all! Harking back a little to my previous enquiry... I have installed Firefox 7.0.1 but wonder if I should have actually installed Iceweasel 7.0.1 instead?

Even though synaptic showed Firefox 4 as installed, the browser itself indicated that it was Iceweasel 4. I didn't really expect the same behavior from a community install so just installed Firefox 7.0.1, now some things are not working, in particular my "Secure Login" add-on. All the information is there username/password wise but the automation has vanished and only manual logins are possible. Is this in any way connected to some of the files that synaptic removed I wonder? "xulrunner" & "mozjs4d" I think they were...

The two that got removed were part of the firefox-4.0.1 MEPIS package, which is actually just an iceweasel rebranded back to firefox. The CR builds of Firefox are different, being rebuilt from the Ubuntu version with the Ubuntu-specific patches (bookmarks and Unity stuff) disabled. You can install both Firefox 7.0.1 and Iceweasel 7.0.1 at the same time for comparision; they do differ in the Debian-specific patches, plus Iceweasel is split into several different packages instead of one, but I can't see much difference myself.

Your extension probably was not compatible with a newer Firefox, but there may be a newer version that is, or you can try disabling the compatibility check and see if it still works.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:59 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 285671
Stevo wrote:
The two that got removed were part of the firefox-4.0.1 MEPIS package, which is actually just an iceweasel rebranded back to firefox. The CR builds of Firefox are different, being rebuilt from the Ubuntu version with the Ubuntu-specific patches (bookmarks and Unity stuff) disabled. You can install both Firefox 7.0.1 and Iceweasel 7.0.1 at the same time for comparision; they do differ in the Debian-specific patches, plus Iceweasel is split into several different packages instead of one, but I can't see much difference myself.

Your extension probably was not compatible with a newer Firefox, but there may be a newer version that is, or you can try disabling the compatibility check and see if it still works.

Thanks for the info on the packages. I checked the add-on compatibility issue as I always do and all appeared fine, pleased to report that the login add-on works on some other sites just like it normally did on all of them. Not on "forum.mepiscommunity.org" though. :(

The other recurring glitch is that when I try to open emailed htm/html links from Thunderbird it appears to start Firefox but then I get an error report about Firefox crashing and the option to report this to Mozilla. So I have a few times. ;)

Very tempted to try Iceweasel now and see what that does...

Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:39 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 288536
Bump: 8.0 now in test CR.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:46 pm

Stevo thanked by: carlnyc, Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 327 times
Post # 288661
Upgraded to 8.0 and it seems faster than 7.0.1. No problems, although I run few add-ons (Adblock Plus and Download Helper). This is on my 4.6.5 upgrade.

Phil

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB HDD, MX-14.
Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3, Phenom II X2 550 BE (now X3), 8GB.
120GB Corsair SSD, 500+250GB HDD, MX-14, Mepis 11.9.92-64.
Acer Aspire One 150, Atom N270, 120GB HDD, MX-14 / WinXP

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next