A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
M11 and Optimus graphics 
Administrator

Have thanks: 1429 times
Post # 288240
Post M11 and Optimus graphics
In order to install M11 on a new i5 Acer laptop with Optimus graphics, I had to change the graphics from switchable to integrated in the bios. Posting this for those who may have a similar issue. With that done the LiveDVD will boot with the correct resolution with the integrated Intel graphics and ignore the nVidia graphics card which does not play with Linux in the Optimus universe.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:21 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 115 times
Post # 288290
Post Re: M11 and Optimus graphics
http://www.martin-juhl.dk/2011/05/optim ... em-solved/

If you have an Optimus laptop check this page out.

Biting the Bullet: Help
Want to buy Mepis Based Computer? Ask me!
http://bit.ly/fbs47I

Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:56 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

Post # 288291
Saist wrote:
http://www.martin-juhl.dk/2011/05/optimus-on-linux-problem-solved/

If you have an Optimus laptop check this page out.

Thanks Saist. Tried bumblebee without success. Also from my reading you can only use the nVidia card with one application at a time. In any case I could not make it work at all.
I am currently running with desktop effects enabled and xrender giving a subset of effects that run tolerably well with the Intel integrated graphics.

I installed xserver xorg intel from debian backports and the liquorix 2.6.39 kernel and was able to get OpenGL with my integrated intel graphics. However the system locks up after a period of time,

Just for info with Kubuntu 11.10 OpenGl works with the integrated Intel graphics.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis

Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:08 pm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 295767
This link may be worth looking at.

I haven't tried it as yet, though I may do later this week.

http://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee

hope this helps

Richard.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:56 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 465 times
Post # 295780
If I remember correctly, all that is really required to get M11 to bring up a display using the intel graphics is a grub boot switch to get the Live-Media to force the graphics to run intel, no need to modify the CMOS.
nvidia-modeset=0 xdrvr=intel confx

This may be a better method for those that wish to dual-boot.

Also, after installing M11, IMHO, it would be wise to upgrade xorg from the CR because having tested it thoroughly on my little eee 1215N, Intel Atom dual-core 1.8GHz, Hi Def video playback is very poor (like it doesn't happen, single frame displays while audio plays with occasional blips) using the stock M11 xorg, but it's quite acceptable using xorg from the CR (and the 2.6.39 kernel) on this low end system. Hibernate also works, but only with the later kernel.

Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(1)Lenovo e520, i7-2640M, 8GB, 750GB Seagate Hybrid, MX-14.1_DVD (my own respin)
(2) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, Radeon HD 4250, 4Gb, 1.5TB, antiX-13-64

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:46 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 2294 times
Post # 295781
m_pav wrote:
If I remember correctly, all that is really required to get M11 to bring up a display using the intel graphics is a grub boot switch to get the Live-Media to force the graphics to run intel, no need to modify the CMOS.
nvidia-modeset=0 xdrvr=intel confx

This may be a better method for those that wish to dual-boot.

Also, after installing M11, IMHO, it would be wise to upgrade xorg from the CR because having tested it thoroughly on my little eee 1215N, Intel Atom dual-core 1.8GHz, Hi Def video playback is very poor (like it doesn't happen, single frame displays while audio plays with occasional blips) using the stock M11 xorg, but it's quite acceptable using xorg from the CR (and the 2.6.39 kernel) on this low end system. Hibernate also works, but only with the later kernel.

Mike P
I believe that should be nouveau.modeset=0

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:59 pm

kmathern thanked by: lucky9
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 31 times
Post # 295908
I have been in the market to replace a couple of laptops and a desktop computer recently and this whole "Optimus" garbage is becoming a real PITA!!

Bumblebee and the other one ( Ironsomething) are very very new initiatives and I have seen limited success with them working. There is some hope for the future there though?!

In laptops, most of the manufacturers have a bios option that lets you switch between Integrated Graphics Only or Optimus Mode. I have not seen any real problems installing various Linux distros in Integrated mode; BUT, you pay for a Dedicated Graphics card that you cannot use!! 'Optimus Mode' is where 'auto' switching happens based on load of course. All distros tried will not see the nVidia card in this mode.

The ONLY brand that I have come across that allows a bios switch between Integrated Only Mode, Optimus Mode OR Dedicated Only Mode is Lenovo. Even then, only certain models and we had to check direct with them before buying to get guarantee that the option was included.

If you have this option, you can set Dedicated Only in bios and Linux installers will see nVidia card & ignore onboard graphics. Works with new drivers etc etc. and no Optimus functionality. Who needs it on desktop replacement machines?!

I am not saying other brands don't have this option, as there are not many brands of laptop I put on my shopping list in the 1st place, but don't buy unless you ask and get a guarantee of returnability if it doesn't work. BTW, I believe that adding this option costs the ( stingy) manufacturers about a $1 or so for the extra hardware mux!!!!!

Desktops, I have found easier because builders of custom pc's are more prepared to alter motherboard/bios options to suit customer.

I think MANY folk are going to be stung by this! Buyer beware!!!!! :frown:

Greywolf.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:01 am
Administrator

Post # 295911
My Acer does not have the three options so will not see the nVidia card, but runs well with the Intel graphics.

Buyers stung? Yes if they are Linux users. The system works quite well switching as necessary in Win7. And I believe a buyer would not buy a machine (laptop), with a dedicated graphics card unless they specifically wanted one.

Having said that I would stay away from Optimus right now, as a Linux user. Hopefully things will change in the future, although nVidia has made no signs of supporting Optimus with their Linux drivers.

Rich

Mx-14 Symbiosis

Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]