MEPIS Community Forum

A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Fresh install question 

Have thanks: 5 times
Post # 294454
Post same problem -- workin' it
I had the thunderbird-shall-use-konquerer problem and tried all sorts of user-level fixes: system preferences, thunderbird preferences, and firefox preferences.

At that point I came to the forum and searched up this thread. I ran the code:
Code:
su -c 'update-alternatives --config x-www-browser'

The problem seemed to be solved, but I was fooled and started this post to say thanks. After closing thunderbird and firefox, then restarting thunderbird, the problem returned. So I will be back here tomorrow to try to figure out the rest of the thread. Shouldn't have posted so quick.

Rob

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:54 pm

redwing57 thanked by: richb

Post # 294523
Post Re: Fresh install question
OK. I'm back and read the rest of the thread. I followed the procedure and things are different, but not quite as expected. Now TB will not start FF, but if FF is running, links open in a new tab in FF, as desired. So the problem is that TB won't start FF. In addition, it seems wrong that when FF starts it always reports that it is not the default browser.

So let's see if I suceeded in following the procedure:

I have a 64 bit system, so I downloaded and installed firefox_9.0.1-1_amd64.deb from the 8.5 repository.
Then the mimes file was deleted from my TB profile. TB was started and in the configuration editor, the specified network.protocol lines were toggled to true. Links for http and https were sequentially clicked on and /usr/bin/firefox chosen. Now in preferences - attachments firefox shows up as the app for http and https.

I'm most suspicious about the download and instal. Did I do the right thing?

Rob

Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:04 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 294535
redwing57 wrote:
So let's see if I suceeded in following the procedure:

I have a 64 bit system, so I downloaded and installed firefox_9.0.1-1_amd64.deb from the 8.5 repository.
Then the mimes file was deleted from my TB profile. TB was started and in the configuration editor, the specified network.protocol lines were toggled to true. Links for http and https were sequentially clicked on and /usr/bin/firefox chosen. Now in preferences - attachments firefox shows up as the app for http and https.

I'm most suspicious about the download and instal. Did I do the right thing?

Rob
That certainly looks alright on the face of it.

Could you (for information purposes) open synaptic and do a search under "All" for "firefox" and report back what the installed version is?

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:05 pm

Post # 294538
Zavon,

It is 9.0.1-1 (mepis)
7.0.1+build1+nobinonly-0mcr110+1 (mepis)

Rob

Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:09 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 294541
redwing57 wrote:
Zavon,

It is 9.0.1-1 (mepis)
7.0.1+build1+nobinonly-0mcr110+1 (mepis)

Rob

OK Rob what you need is this version; "firefox_9.0.1+build1-0mcr85+1_amd64"

You can get that by enabling the Community Repository "cr" repository for Mepis-8.5 in synaptic.

Add the below to synaptic's: "Settings > Repositories"

URI: http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/testrepo/
Distribution: mepis85cr
Section: test

Save the entry and then hit "Reload". Then using the quick search, type firefox into the box and hit return or click the binocular icon. You'll then see that there is more than one version of 'firefox' available under the "Versions" tab in the "details" section.

[EDIT] I can't remember offhand whether I had to set "Preferences> Distribution" to prefer Mepis rather than 'highest version' If firefox version I detailed doesn't show up then you'll have to change that setting.

Remove your current version first then return to the same point and install the version detailed above.
Wow I hope that all makes sense when read... GL

Z

Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:37 am

Zevon thanked by: redwing57

Post # 294555
Zavon,

Problem solved!

Here are a couple notes on the experience. First, I am using Mepis 11 and should have said that somewhere. It made me a little nervous going to 8.5 repos and installing things, but so far all seems OK. I never underestimate my own ability to mess things up, especially through ignorance.

Before you helped me, I had gone to the main 8.5 repo (not cr) and downloaded firefox as a deb file and then clicked on it to install. Other than it being the wrong version, no harm was done.

When I followed your directions, I added the 8.5 repo in with the 11 repos in synaptic and reloaded. Then I deleted FF. When subsequently re-installing FF, a little birdie told me it was going to do the wrong thing, since I couldn't pick a version. A little mousing around in the menus let me force the version I wanted. The install was successful, and I tested FF with TB.

After all the action, I disabled the 8.5 repo in synaptic. Here is a question. If that repo was left enabled, would there be any reason that incompatible packages might get installed or some other snafu? It looks to me like synaptic would stick to the default version, unless forced, and this mechanism might protect the user from blunders, if an older repo is enabled.

Rob

Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:48 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 294566
redwing57 wrote:
After all the action, I disabled the 8.5 repo in synaptic. Here is a question. If that repo was left enabled, would there be any reason that incompatible packages might get installed or some other snafu? It looks to me like synaptic would stick to the default version, unless forced, and this mechanism might protect the user from blunders, if an older repo is enabled.

Rob
Great! Pleased that it all went well for you. It's better to leave the CR for 8.5 disabled and only call it in IF you need something from it at some point. I wouldn't rely on synaptic to protect..

Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:47 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 892 times
Post # 294581
The Packaging Team has the same versions of Firefox, etc. in the Community Repositories for 8.5 and 11 (I believe). At any rate you should only use the Mepis 11 repositories for Mepis 11. Because there is probably a difference somewhere that will bite you.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:10 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 2315 times
Post # 294583
lucky9 wrote:
The Packaging Team has the same versions of Firefox, etc. in the Community Repositories for 8.5 and 11 (I believe). At any rate you should only use the Mepis 11 repositories for Mepis 11. Because there is probably a difference somewhere that will bite you.

Firefox 9 isn't in the M11 Community Repositories (7 & 8 are), that's the reason I said to install Firefox 9 from the M8.5 CR in my howto in this post viewtopic.php?p=293175#p293175 from earlier in the thread.

edit: it should be okay to install Firefox 9 from the M8.5 CR but I would disable that repo afterwards.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:39 pm

kmathern thanked by: lucky9, redwing57
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 892 times
Post # 294591
Firefox 9.0.1-1 is what I'm running here. And I don't have any Mepis 8.5 repositories in my sources list. And never have had. My history says if was installed Wed. Dec. 28. Upgrading from Firefox 8.0+build1-0mcr110+1.

However my Firefox 9.x isn't labeled as a CR version. So I must have installed it as a .deb.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next