Mepis 11 64 bit won't shut down

Help for Mepis 11
appealsman
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Mepis 11 64 bit won't shut down

#1 Postby appealsman » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:38 pm

Installed Mepis 11 64 bit on a friends HP desktop this morning. All seemed to go smoothly. But he called back a few minutes ago to report that when he clicks leave, and then shutdown, instead of shutting down it just takes him back to the login screen. Any ideas as to what may be going on and how to fix? I asked him to run an update on the system to see if that fixes it, but am not optimistic.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Mepis 11 64 bit won't shut down

#2 Postby uncle mark » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:23 pm

appealsman wrote:Installed Mepis 11 64 bit on a friends HP desktop this morning. All seemed to go smoothly. But he called back a few minutes ago to report that when he clicks leave, and then shutdown, instead of shutting down it just takes him back to the login screen. Any ideas as to what may be going on and how to fix? I asked him to run an update on the system to see if that fixes it, but am not optimistic.

Ten bucks says he's NOT clicking Shutdown but is hitting Enter, which is punching the Log Out button.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

DBeckett
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Postby DBeckett » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:32 pm

uncle mark wrote:Ten bucks says he's NOT clicking Shutdown but is hitting Enter, which is punching the Log Out button.

Or he's waiting for it to time out after 30 seconds.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby uncle mark » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:08 pm

DBeckett wrote:
uncle mark wrote:Ten bucks says he's NOT clicking Shutdown but is hitting Enter, which is punching the Log Out button.

Assuming we're correct, one partial "fix" is System Settings> Startup & Shutdown> Session Management> Default Leave Option> tick Turn off computer

This will allow you to either hit Enter and walk away or let it time out. Either way, it shuts down instead of just logging the user off.

I've not done it myself, but on that same screen, unticking 'Confirm logout' and/or 'Offer shutdown options' -- in conjuction with changing the default -- may eliminate the need to do anything after selecting Leave.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Postby Gaer Boy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:54 am

uncle mark wrote:Assuming we're correct, one partial "fix" is System Settings> Startup & Shutdown> Session Management> Default Leave Option> tick Turn off computer

This will allow you to either hit Enter and walk away or let it time out. Either way, it shuts down instead of just logging the user off.

I've not done it myself, but on that same screen, unticking 'Confirm logout' and/or 'Offer shutdown options' -- in conjuction with changing the default -- may eliminate the need to do anything after selecting Leave.

OK, uncle mark - I'm a sucker for trying new ideas. I ticked Turn off, unticked Confirm & Offer and now I have no way of turning off the machine (other than the power switch). The Leave menu now offers only Sleep or Hibernate.

I've tried every combination of the options and also reverted to Defaults, but the Turn off option no longer appears. Hitting Enter at any stage has no effect. Any bright ideas?

[edit] An hour later, and repeating the set Defaults, and I have the full shutdown menu back.

Phil

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-15, MX-14.4
Acer Aspire One 150, Atom N270, 120GB HDD, MX-14.3

appealsman
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#6 Postby appealsman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:15 am

DBeckett wrote:

I talked him through the process over the phone and had him report to me what he saw at each step He wasn't hitting enter, he was left-clicking on the "turn computer off" option.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Postby lucky9 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:19 pm

Left-clicking on the Turn off computer option should turn off the computer in a default setup.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

appealsman
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#8 Postby appealsman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:56 pm

lucky9 wrote:Left-clicking on the Turn off computer option should turn off the computer in a default setup.

I wholeheartedly agree. And yet, on this default setup, it does not work as designed. Any pointers on how I can diagnose/fix?

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Postby lucky9 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:43 pm

I'd try changing the Session Management options around and see if it can be made to work correctly. Failing that I'd use the Mepis User Assistant to reset things to default. Then, after confirming that things are working correctly, I'd re-tweak my customizations.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Mepis 11”