A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Can't boot Mepis 
Administrator

Have thanks: 1289 times
Post # 298263
Post Re: Can't boot Mepis
I think we should all understand "Mepis just works" is a marketing slogan. I say that as a supporter of Mepis. If it just worked we would not need this forum to help people solve issues.

Also it is not unusual for someone coming from Windows to have difficulties and also to refer to Linux elements in Windows terms.

My take is that the OP is trying his best to get Mepis to work on his system and that the users here are trying to help.

So now speaking as Administrator of the forum, Lets attempt to help without casting aspersions, and have some patience.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:48 am
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 121 times
Post # 298282
 Re: Can't boot Mepis
hi guys,

to much fun. i would try reinstalling the grub2 from remix_os and get that (semi) working again. it should find Mepis at the same time ':thumbup:' probably scroll down to the chroot part of that page.

good luck ;-)

i try never recommending... but like you said, a remix_os reinstall will probably clean it all up.

:island: btw my name gets like 268 mil...
... not :beach:

speedtest.net
:happy: >>> :spoon-fed: ;-)

Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 298287
Quote:
Some corrections, Mepis or any other OS will not delete any partition, that is without you tell it to, and the same goes for MS,

That's my biggest concern here. It shouldn't, but I instealled Mepis, partition managers started telling me what used to be a Remix_OS partition was now unallocated. I've deleted the Mepis partition, and reinstalled Remix_OS and a swap partition. My biggest concern was to get ALSA to play through Jack, so I could hear YouTube videos through my firewire sound device; which I had hacked previously. This time, I was unable to repeat the hack. I should have kept better notes. I know that's not very much a concern for you guys; as pro-audio types are into Jack.

I don't have the Mepis partition installed right now, but I'd be happy to see if the same thing happened again. I have a little bit more concern about trying to install it in the unused space; as I am concerned it might delete my D partition. A fellow calling himself reo_sam yesterday really bent over backward to try to help me; but after a long discussion of distros, I explained the attraction of a 64-bit realtime OS running Jack to us audio guys. We struck on the expedient of calling them HDD1 and HDD2. HDD1 has the "C" partition, which took up the whole drive. HDD2 had the "D" partition, which got reduced in size, so I could begin creating Linux partitions from the end of the drive forward. I currently have "D", ~15 GB unused space, ~4GB swap partition, and ~15 GB in a Remix_OS partition - which I like, but can't install KDEnlive.

I am not so much wanting any help for myself, as much as to encourage that whatever deleted my Remix_OS partition on my HDD2 in the Mepis installer is fixed. As far as "It just works."; I can understand the desire, and am encouraged that that is the experience of most users. I would like to see the disappearing partition problem fixed, so as to bring the distro a bit closer to its motto. The details don't bother me nearly as much. Being a Debian-based distro, it interests me due to its great user feedback, that it sets up a lot of things for you, and that Debian reportedly has the most up-to-date pro audio software in its repositories.

I suppose filing some sort of bug report is next; but I thought ppl here might want the help reproducing the problem.

Last edited by CodeLurker on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:23 pm
Administrator

Post # 298288
Having installed Mepis on single drive multiple OS systems and dual drive multiple OS systems, I do not see how the installer will ever destroy a partition provided the proper partitions are designated during install. Linux uses sda1, sda2, sda3, etc to designate "C" drive and sdb1,sdb2,sdb3, etc to designate "D" drive. And so on for "E" drive, (sdc1,sdc2 etc.) If you designate the wrong partition all bets are off. So I do not believe it is an installer fault.

I always create partitions ahead of the install with Gparted LiveCD, write down the partition designations and then install Mepis.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:32 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 436 times
Post # 298289
CodeLurker wrote:
I would like to see the disappearing partition problem fixed, so as to bring the distro a bit closer to its motto.

It's safe to say that the "disappearing partition problem" is unheard of.
It's more likely that an incorrect choice was made during the install.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:37 pm
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Post # 298290
richb wrote:
Having installed Mepis on single drive multiple OS systems and dual drive multiple OS systems, I do not see how the installer will ever destroy a partition provided the proper partitions are designated during install. Linux uses sda1, sda2, sda3, etc to designate "C" drive and sdb1,sdb2,sdb3, etc to designate "D" drive. And so on for "E" drive, (sdc1,sdc2 etc.) If you designate the wrong partition all bets are off. So I do not believe it is an installer fault.

As in my previous posts, Remix_OS used to mix up /sda and /sdb, depending on if it was a warm or cold boot. It is not doing that upon reinstall. TestDisk under Windows and the Mepis Live disk disagreed as to which disk was /sda and /sdb. Thus, such designations will not always refer to the same HDD. Why fault ppl for not using terminology that just gets jumbled around anyway? How does that help?

The problem might also be related to the fact that I used MiniTool Partition Wizard to shrink my "D" partition; but then Kubuntu and Remix_OS never lost any data afterward. reo_sam says that PW has been unstable in his experience. When I installed Mepis, I created a partition for it using the Partition Tool from the installer, which brought up the KDE partition tool. I then told Mepis to install to a custom partition, and I am absolutely sure that I told it to install to the correct partition. I was even able to restore that partition using TestDisk, but not the swap or the Remix_OS partitions. It may be out of your experience, but it seems probable, at this point, that the KDE partition tool on the Mepis live disk, or, more likely in my mind, the Mepis installer hosed by Remix_OS partition - which I really didn't want to lose.

Quote:
It's safe to say that the "disappearing partition problem" is unheard of.
It's more likely that an incorrect choice was made during the install.

Again, I was very careful not to erase my Remix_OS partition, as it had my Alsa to Jack hack. Had I chose the wrong partition to install to, I would not have had only unallocated space after my "D" partition on HDD2. I would have had Remix, or Mepis, or both. Again *sigh*, in a previous post in this thread, TestDisk under windows, found all three partitions, with either a quick scan or a deep scan; but was unable to restore any but the Mepis partition, which I was able to mount from the Live disk and look at the files in. There was unallocated space after it, whereas the Remix partition was last on the disk. I could sooner accept that a software or hardware glitch happened than that I chose the wrong partition to install to, because it would have led to an entirely different result.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:50 pm
Administrator

Post # 298291
I was not faulting anyone, just giving my experience with many installs over 9 years of using Linux. And only wiping out a partition when I, and I repeat I, made an error.

If that is not what happened to you OK. But respectfully, blaming the Mepis installer is a stretch in my opinion.

Rich

Mx-14 Symbiosis

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:02 pm
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Post # 298292
I am positive that I used the ext3 file system after having chosen the custom partition, which I created with the KDE partition editor, so I am at a loss as to what other options I might have gotten wrong to get that result. I do welcome all help, but after a lot of searching for similar problems in posts, and a lot of helpful attempts to provide advice, little of it seems to provide much insight as to what happened in my case. Perhaps were I more experienced in Linux, it might be less mystifying, but at this point, I cannot eliminate the Mepis installer. The partition editor showed the partition I created to install to, which it called "/sda3". I very carefully chose "/sda3" to install to, and the Remix_OS swap partition as the Mepis swap partition. I reboot, and the live disk shows only unallocated space on my HDD2 after its "D" partition.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:05 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 753 times
Post # 298296
Perhaps we could narrow things by opening the case and disconnecting the 'C' drive. Then powering up and taking a look first with the Mepis LiveDVD. Then if available with the Mepis installation on the HDD.
If things look correct then Linux/GRUB is allowing the installer to point at the wrong hard disk to install the MBR portion of GRUB to. You may only need to point it (the installer or the Mepis System Assistant) to the sdb disk for the GRUB installation part of thing to allow the system to boot (after reconnecting the 'C' drive of course).

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:31 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 265 times
Post # 298306
CodeLurker wrote:
...When I get in Computer Management | Storage | Disk Management, I really get a treat:

It says my Remix_OS is healthy, at 13.97 GB, which I created as the last partition on my disk. Before this is 2048 GB, which it calls free space, which vastly exceeds the real size of my HD.

CodeLurker wrote:
...When I tell it to do a quick search, I get:

Disk /dev/sdb - 320 GB / 298 GiB - CHS 38913 255 63
Partition Start End Size in sectors
>D HPFS - NTFS 0 1 1 34580 254 63 555543702 [First SATA]
D Linux 34581 0 1 36602 254 63 32483430
D Linux Swap 36603 76 18 37089 164 3 7813120
D Linux 37089 164 4 38913 70 5 29296640

I think you need to backup your data, wipe the drive, and repartition it from scratch (using something other than that MW tool, since i suspect it was writing out an invalid partition table and confusing the other partition managers).

For one thing, the testdisk quick search is showing that the swap partition ends at 37089, with the last partition starting at 37089. They should not be the same (since they'd overlap). Of course, the 2048GB of free space you see with Windows Disk Management is another hint that your partition table has issues. ;-)

My guess is that it's been messed up for a while from something that partition manager you've been using is doing, and you're just now running into issues when using a different partition manager to make changes.

You could try something like fixparts and see if that helps.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/

Here's the download page:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdis ... -binaries/

But, I wouldn't trust that drive without repartitioning it from scratch using something other than the tool you've been using.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next