Can't boot live DVD

Help for Mepis 11
jbuturff
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Can't boot live DVD

#1 Postby jbuturff » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:31 pm

I am trying to boot the latest 11.0.12 live DVD on an older system and cannot. I believe the issue is my video card. The last message is "Starting KDM Display Manager". The screen goes black, and a single underline character in the top left. It's not flashing. I cannot Ctrl+Alt+F1 (no response).

I have tried several different options from Grub (xdrvr=vesa, noagp, nomodeset, video=1280x1024, etc). Nothing seems to affect it.

My video card is an NVidia GT520 PCI card (not PCI Express).

Anyone have any other options I can try? Or any way to boot into non-GUI from the live DVD, and run StartX so I can see what's happening?

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Can't boot live DVD

#2 Postby uncle mark » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:51 pm

Try using

confx xdrvr=vesa

as your cheatcodes. The confx cheatcode is required for the xdrvr=vesa cheatcode to work.

http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... heat_codes
Last edited by uncle mark on Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Postby kmathern » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:51 pm

You might think you have an "older system" but the 260.19.21 nvidia driver that's preinstalled with Mepis 11.0 doesn't support your GeForce GT 520. (http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L ... chips.html)

Use both of the cheatcodes xdrvr=vesa and confx to boot the LiveDVD. If you're able to boot and get M11 installed with those cheatcodes you can use sgfxi later on to install a more recent version of the nvidia driver that does support the GT520.

jbuturff
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Postby jbuturff » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Thanks for the quick replies. Adding the confx cheatcode was the trick I couldn't find. Now able to boot!

As for the system being "older", the motherboard and CPU are roughly 8 years old. I blew out some capacitors on my old AGP video card, so I replaced it with this PCI card with a newer chipset. Hope to get a bit more life out of this system with Mepis on it.

Thanks again.

sealevelPete
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Postby sealevelPete » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:50 pm

Thanks, I was able to fix my issue as well with this solution. My issue was after install, I would get the splash screen then a blank screen with the underscore character. I was resurrecting an old laptop - no cd drive, could not boot off of a usb flash drive or external hard drive. I had to pull the hard drive to another machine, format it and reinstall.

Three hours of google and trying things and I finally hit the right search string to find this post!
Thanks again.
sealevelPete

Return to “Mepis 11”